Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:41 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Default Dr Kevorkian "Dr Death" dies

Dr. Jack Kevorkian — embraced as a compassionate crusader and reviled as a murderous crank — died early this morning.

Known as Dr. Death even before launching his fierce advocacy and practice of assisted suicides, Kevorkian, 83, died at Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, where he had been hospitalized with kidney and heart problems. His attorney, Mayer Morganroth, said it appears Kevorkian suffered a pulmonary thrombosis when a blood clot from his leg broke free and lodged in his heart. With Kevorkian was his niece Ava Janus and Morganroth. “It was peaceful, he didn’t feel a thing,” Morganroth said.

Morganroth said there were no artificial attempts to keep Kevorkian alive and no plans for a memorial.

Kevorkian was convicted in 1999 of second-degree murder and served eight years of prison time. Kevorkian was hospitalized twice in May because of kidney problems and a fall. Additionally he suffered from an array of ailments including liver and heart disorders. He underwent hernia surgery in February. 2005. He admitted being present at about 130 suicides and his hectoring defiance of established laws and protocols forced reexamination of personal freedoms in medical treatments and end-of-life decisions.

Since his first acknowledged assisted suicide in 1990, authorities had tried to rein in Kevorkian as the toll of his clients soared. He was charged four times with murder only to have three juries acquit him and one case collapse in mistrial. That streak of courtroom triumphs ended with the 1998 death of Thomas Youk, 52, of Waterford, who had Lou Gehrig’s disease. In a self-inflicted triple injury, Kevorkian videotaped himself injecting Youk, had it broadcast on “60 Minutes,” and then acted as his own lawyer in the ensuing Oakland County murder trial. Kevorkian was convicted of second-degree murder and drew a 10-25-year prison term at his 1999 sentencing. He was released in 2005 and discharged from parole in 2009.

His post-prison career included a 2008 congressional bid and a cable television bio-pic starring Al Pacino. In his failed political career Kevorkian, as usual, cast himself as the truth-teller in a world of hypocrisy: “We need some honesty and sincerity instead of corrupt government in Washington.”

“You Don’t Know Jack,” the HBO film earned Pacino an Emmy and Golden Globe. Kevorkian cut a vivid image at premieres and awards, sometimes wearing his iconic blue thrift-store sweater with a tuxedo. He almost glowed at receptions as women circled him and powerful men elbowed their way through the adoring crush to shake his hand.

Kevorkian was a trained pathologist serving in Michigan and California hospitals before launching his rogue career. Once a stiff-necked practitioner who mocked and challenged authorities, an imprisoned Kevorkian promised in affidavits and requests for release that he would not assist suicides if he were released.

Death came naturally to the man who’d vowed he’d starve himself rather than endure submit to the state’s authority behind bars. “It’s not a matter of starving yourself in jail, it’s a matter of I don’t want to live as a slave and imprisonment is the ultimate slavery,” he said in 1998.
    Gaunt, theatrical and hyperbolic, Kevorkian appeared to demand martyrdom, staging increasingly outlandish provocations from appearing in court as Thomas Jefferson in tri-cornered hat, knee britches and powdered wig to offering for transplant a client’s crudely harvested kidneys.

Those who opposed him were denounced as superstitious know-nothings, Dark Ages hypocrites and philosophical cowards.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

You don't suppose....
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Having Pacino play YOU in a movie about your life......that freakin rocks.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

The nurse that has been coming by asked my Dad if the pistol on his coffee table was loaded. He said that it was. She then asked him if he was thinking about ending it and my sister said it pissed him off!

I don't see my Dad going that route. He will fight this until the bitter end, when he will finally find some rest and peace.

As for Kevorkian, I never really knew what to think of the guy. He was helping out those in extreme pain or helplessness, but I've never been a fan of suicide either. I'm sure much will be made of his death in the coming weeks and the whole debate will start all over again.
    Last edited by Viking; 06.03.11 at 08:15 AM.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

I think we treat animals more humanely than we do people.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Talk about a guy with a killer job...
    Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

So did Kevorkian kill himself and if so, can he be prosecuted?
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    So did Kevorkian kill himself and if so, can he be prosecuted?
    Good point. And if they can prosecute him, what if they find him guilty? Hmm...
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

I think part of the reason people (myself) included don't know what to think about Kevorkian or assisted suicide is the fact we're always inclined to a yes or no answer on big issues. I'm quite confident my grandfather killed himself with the help of a friend, he was in the hospital and died ten days after my grandmother. He hated like without her and was absolutely hateful and miserable without her. They had been married since July 1945 when he met her in London during the war. They both died in February of 1993.

In his case, in retrospect, I'm happy he was set free. He, in his own, stable and conscious mind, did not want to live without her. that was his choice.

Last Online

06.03.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 327 Times in 204 Posts

I never really had a problem with what Jack was doing. In a weird way he was "helping" people. I think back to my cousin's father-in-law who was having very severe chest pains, went to the ER, where they checked him and released him with a prescription. After the pills wouldn't help and another unsuccessful visit to the doctor, he couldn't take it anymore. He walked out into his yard with a gun and killed himself.
    I didn't know the guy too well at all, but the feeling I got from relatives was that this was not something that he would have even considered. But the pain was unbearable. If he had access to someone like Jack, I wouldn't have blamed him for going through with it.

Jack provided a service. He didn't outright murder people. He assisted in their suicide in a humane way.
    2-time Fantasy Baseball Champion.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Old people (or anyone terminally ill really) should have the right to die on their own terms - that's a "choice" we should be supporting...
    Last edited by billy007; 06.04.11 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Frickin' trying to do this on iPhone...

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Old people (or anyone terminally ill really) should have the right to die on their own terms - that's a "choice" we should be supporting...
    Ditto.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Good point. And if they can prosecute him, what if they find him guilty? Hmm...
    And if they find him guilty, can they sentence him to death for self-murder?

LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:13 PM
    Liked 305 Times in 225 Posts

F'n killer hypocrite never had the balls to do himself in.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

I can see why you would think he was a "killer" but what made him a hypocrite exactly?

Sounds like from what the articles states, he chose to die the way he died, as he helped others to make the same decision. Where is the hypocracy exactly?
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]