Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Coca-Cola's mind control...

Ads Implant False Memories

My episodic memory stinks. All my birthday parties are a blur of cake and presents. I知 notorious within my family for confusing the events of my own childhood with those of my siblings. I知 like the anti-Proust.

And yet, I have this one cinematic memory from high-school. I知 sitting at a Friday night football game (which, somewhat mysteriously, has come to resemble the Texas set of Friday Night Lights), watching the North Hollywood Huskies lose yet another game. I知 up in the last row of the bleachers with a bunch of friends, laughing, gossiping, dishing on AP tests. You know, the usual banter of freaks and geeks. But here is the crucial detail: In my autobiographical memory, we are all drinking from those slender glass bottles of Coca-Cola (the vintage kind), enjoying our swigs of sugary caffeine. Although I can稚 remember much else about the night, I can vividly remember those sodas: the feel of the drink, the tang of the cola, the constant need to suppress burps.

It痴 an admittedly odd detail for an otherwise logo free scene, as if Coke had paid for product placement in my brain. What makes it even more puzzling is that I know it didn稚 happen, that there is no way we could have been drinking soda from glass bottles. Why not? Because the school banned glass containers. Unless I was willing to brazenly break the rules and I was way too nerdy for that I would have almost certainly been guzzling Coke from a big white styrofoam container, purchased for a dollar from the concession stand. It痴 a less romantic image, for sure.

So where did this sentimental scene starring soda come from? My guess is a Coca-Cola ad, one of those lavishly produced clips in which the entire town is at the big football game and everyone is clean cut, good looking and holding a tasty Coke product. (You can find these stirring clips on YouTube.) The soda maker has long focused on such ads, in which the marketing message is less about the virtues of the product (who cares if Coke tastes better than Pepsi?) and more about associating the drink with a set of intensely pleasurable memories.

A new study, published in The Journal of Consumer Research, helps explain both the success of this marketing strategy and my flawed nostalgia for Coke. It turns out that vivid commercials are incredibly good at tricking the hippocampus (a center of long-term memory in the brain) into believing that the scene we just watched on television actually happened. And it happened to us.

The experiment went like this: 100 undergraduates were introduced to a new popcorn product called 徹rville Redenbacher痴 Gourmet Fresh Microwave Popcorn. (No such product exists, but that痴 the point.) Then, the students were randomly assigned to various advertisement conditions. Some subjects viewed low-imagery text ads, which described the delicious taste of this new snack food. Others watched a high-imagery commercial, in which they watched all sorts of happy people enjoying this popcorn in their living room. After viewing the ads, the students were then assigned to one of two rooms. In one room, they were given an unrelated survey. In the other room, however, they were given a sample of this fictional new popcorn to taste. (A different Orville Redenbacher popcorn was actually used.)

One week later, all the subjects were quizzed about their memory of the product. Here痴 where things get disturbing: While students who saw the low-imagery ad were extremely unlikely to report having tried the popcorn, those who watched the slick commercial were just as likely to have said they tried the popcorn as those who actually did. Furthermore, their ratings of the product were as favorable as those who sampled the salty, buttery treat. Most troubling, perhaps, is that these subjects were extremely confident in these made-up memories. The delusion felt true. They didn稚 like the popcorn because they壇 seen a good ad. They liked the popcorn because it was delicious.

The scientists refer to this as the 吐alse experience effect, since the ads are slyly weaving fictional experiences into our very real lives. 天iewing the vivid advertisement created a false memory of eating the popcorn, despite the fact that eating the non-existent product would have been impossible, write Priyali Rajagopal and Nicole Montgomery, the lead authors on the paper. 鄭s a result, consumers need to be vigilant while processing high-imagery advertisements.

At first glance, this experimental observation seems incongruous. How could a stupid commercial trick me into believing that I loved a product I壇 never actually tasted? Or that I drank Coke out of glass bottles?

The answer returns us to a troubling recent theory known as memory reconsolidation. In essence, reconsolidation is rooted in the fact that every time we recall a memory we also remake it, subtly tweaking the neuronal details. Although we like to think of our memories as being immutable impressions, somehow separate from the act of remembering them, they aren稚. A memory is only as real as the last time you remembered it. What痴 disturbing, of course, is that we can稚 help but borrow many of our memories from elsewhere, so that the ad we watched on television becomes our own, part of that personal narrative we repeat and retell.

This idea, simple as it seems, requires us to completely re-imagine our assumptions about memory. It reveals memory as a ceaseless process, not a repository of inert information. The recall is altered in the absence of the original stimulus, becoming less about what we actually remember and more about what we壇 like to remember. It痴 the difference between a 鉄ave and the 鉄ave As function. Our memories are a 鉄ave As: They are files that get rewritten every time we remember them, which is why the more we remember something, the less accurate the memory becomes. And so that pretty picture of popcorn becomes a taste we definitely remember, and that alluring soda commercial becomes a scene from my own life. We steal our stories from everywhere. Marketers, it turns out, are just really good at giving us stories we want to steal.

http://m.wired.com/wiredscience/2011...tories+2%29%29
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

They're turning us into cokeheads.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 31 Times in 10 Posts

Damn, maybe I didn't fuck all of those chicks after a night on the town after all.

Maybe those memories have all been implanted into my head by slick Budweiser ads!
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:35 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Interesting timing on this article. My neighbour (yes that is spelled right up here in Canada ) gave me 2 cans of Pepsi Retro the other night and I had my first can on Tuesday night. If you haven't seen it yet, Pepsi has issued the old cans from the '70's and the cola inside has been made with the original recipe ie: real sugar. I took one sip and my brain went into overdrive. I kid you not, I was instantly sitting in my grandma's kitchen in the North end of Hamilton, Ontario near the steel plants. It was 1977 all over again. The taste was so different and so superior. That's another topic though...the point is I was blown away by not only how the Pepsi tasted and how the retro can looked, but how closely tied the look and taste were to my childhood memories.

If you drank Pepsi in the '70's, grab a case of this stuff, despite the fact that the price may be double.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Retro has been on the shelves down here in FL for several months now, and indeed, it makes the corn sweetener version taste like the shit that we all knew it was. Retro has a 'snap' to it and doesn't leave your throat feeling like you have 50w motor oil stuck in your throat after drinking it.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

any word on Coca-Cola going back to the original formula? I did buy a bottle (a glorious glass bottle!) of Mexican Coca-Cola, I think at a Walgreens, not that long ago.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:35 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    any word on Coca-Cola going back to the original formula? I did buy a bottle (a glorious glass bottle!) of Mexican Coca-Cola, I think at a Walgreens, not that long ago.
    That is one of my wife's highlites when we go to Mexico. Coke in the glass bottle that tastes like coke!
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    I really wish they would, as I prefer Coke over Pepsi but simply cannot stomach it with the corn syrup sweetener.

On the plus side, when I was on my road trip, I did get some Sun Drop while up in TN...mmmmmmm.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

Not a fan of regularly flavored soft drinks, I like the added cherry or vanilla. In any case, Dr. Pepper is the only one for me.

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

I've been getting Mexican Coke regularly for a few years here in the Chicagoland area. I don't usually drink soda, but when I do, it has to be Coke. And in these last few years, it has to be of the Mexican variety otherwise it's just a corn-syrup mess. At Sam's Club I can get a flat of 24 12 oz. bottles for approximately $19 that usually lasts me about six months.

I know there are articles out there saying Mexican Coke is a myth and that it is also made with corn syrup. But on the ingredients label it does say "Sugar" and me and a friend of mine did a blind taste test one night using a U.S. can of Coke Classic and a bottle of Mexican Coke. The difference was immediately discernible. So if they aren't using cane sugar and something else it certainly doesn't taste the U.S. corn-syrup version. It definitely isn't just a marketing gimmick tricking us into thinking it tastes different.

Mexican Coke tastes like my childhood, that's for sure. It has more tang and is much more crisp while the U.S. version just tastes bland and thick with syrup.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

not sure if there is a way to do a valid taste test as even if it was the same product, but one from a can and one from a (glass) bottle, I'd be willing to be I'd pick the bottled version as preferred. At least that's how it works with beer!

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

I used to drink a lot of Pepsi when I was a kid, and yes, the real sugar version is so much better.

Same thing with the Mexican Cokes. Also, the Mexican Cokes are in bottles, which automatically gives them a better taste anyway. I really miss soft drinks in glass bottles.

I will say that, however, I do prefer the HFCS Mountain Dew better than the real sugar version of the Dew. I'm not sure why that is.
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:50 AM
    Liked 6,841 Times in 3,580 Posts

Premium Member

Default Coca Cola - Coming Together

I like the way this commercial puts it right out there that Coke has calories, but if you don't move your ass ass at all... it's gonna get fat!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

basically they are saying "we give you options, and we are not responsible for your bad choices and your lack of activity"

fair enough

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

I don't understand what people are complaining about. They're basically saying that they've done some work to reduce the calories in their products over the years, but it's not their fault if someone is going to maintain an unhealthy lifestyle and diet.