Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Navy Fights Mickey Mouse for SEALs Trademark

SEAL Team 6 isn’t going down without a fight.

The Navy is challenging Disney’s attempt to trademark the name of the elite squad responsible for taking out the world’s most wanted terrorist.

On May 3, just two days after Usama bin Laden was killed in a raid on the Al Qaeda leader’s Pakistan compound, Disney filed trademark applications to use the name "SEAL Team 6" on everything from entertainment, toys, video games, clothing, footwear -- even Christmas ornaments and snow globes.

Disney's applications with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office filed cover three separate categories of goods and services -- meaning, they don't yet have consumer products but intend to in the future.

But 10 days later, on May 13, the U.S. Navy hit back, filing two applications of its own. The Navy's competing applications sought trademark status for "SEAL Team" posters and clothing, as well as “Navy SEAL” goods and services, identifying the Navy squad as an organization that “develops and executes military missions involving special operations strategy, doctrine and tactics."

Disney has not responded to FoxNews.com's repeated requests for comment.

The U.S. Navy did not respond to repeated emails and phone calls Monday and Tuesday seeking comment on the Navy's trademark application. But earlier, when FoxNews.com contacted the U.S. Navy on May 13 seeking comment on Disney’s trademark applications, a spokesman said he was unaware of the attempt to swipe the name “SEAL Team 6” and said he would be forwarding the information along to Navy lawyers.

Who will take home the victory in the fight between the U.S. military and Mickey Mouse?

"Disney would have priority, as far as the filing date goes with trademark office," New York trademark attorney Thomas Wilentz said.

It all comes down to whether the patent office feels that granting trademarks to both U.S. Navy and Disney would cause consumer confusion, Wilentz said, in which case the patent office would give priority to the entity that filed its application first -- Disney.

"But the U.S. Navy may have the argument that they are, you know, actually the SEALs, that they were using it first to identify themselves and any use by Disney would create consumer confusion about sponsorship," he said. "And if they actually took Disney to court they could win."

Robin Bren, a Virginia-based trademark attorney with the law firm Spivak McClelland Maier & Neustadt, thinks the Patent and Trademark Office would turn down Disney’s trademark attempts.

“In order to overcome the probable refusal, Disney will have to argue that potential customers will not assume a connection with the Navy,” she said, adding that would be difficult in light of the elite squad’s recently acquired celebrity-like status.

Because Disney was a step ahead of the Navy in filling, before the Navy’s applications can proceed, Disney’s must be abandoned. But Bren said Disney and the Navy also could enter into an agreement consenting to each other’s use and registration of “SEAL Team 6” for their respective goods and services.

“Given the status/stature of Disney, this may be an attractive approach for the department of the Navy,” Bren said.

Perhaps man and mouse can coexists, at least on some of the trademark issues, said Mark Warzecha, trademark attorney with Zies Widerman & Malek, a Florida law firm.

“Disney filed in the category of entertainment. Maybe they want to come out with an amusement park ride and the Navy’s not in that business, so there really isn’t a conflict there,” he said. “If Disney decides they’re going to invade countries, then there might be an issue.”

Still, Warzecha said, he’d side with the Navy if it ever went up against Disney in court.

“Trademark law is based on priority of use. If you use it first in commerce, you win,” he said. “I’m pretty sure the U.S. Navy has been using 'SEAL Team 6' long before the mouse got involved.”

Still, the process moves slowly, even for SEALs. It could take up to three years -- the deadline on the type of intent-to-use application filed by Disney -- to settle this.

Paul Fucito, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office spokesman, told FoxNews.com none of these applications had yet been reviewed, and new applications usually take about three months to be reviewed.

Don't blame Mickey Mouse for trying, Warzecha said.

“It’s not disingenuous on Disney’s part. They probably thought, oh man, that’s the hottest name in town—let’s put our mouse ears on and figure out some way to use this,” he said.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Is Disney that desperate to sell toys that they'd misappropriate the Seals name?

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

I think the Navy will block this, and win, hands down. Or they'll tie it up in court for so long, it'll be less appealing to Disney. Considering SEAL Team 6 has been around for so long, they have automatic propriety to the name.

The Marine Corps got their name, emblem (the EG&A), images, colors, motto and ALL sayings attributed to them, trademarked last year. There were so many different companies out there, trying to produce "official" Marine items. As of now, there are only 3 or 4 places that the Marine Corps allows to market their officially authorized items. Before they can be marketed, they have to be approved by the Marine Corps.

One of the places is my favorite. Sgt. Grit.com The dude has some awesome stuff
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

So, let me get this right...Disney, who created the Toys for Tots logo for the Marines, is trying to steal a Navy SEALs name...swell.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Walt's probably spinning in his chrio chamber.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

It's been suggested that the attempt to nab rights to this name will enable JERRY FUCKHEIMER to make the inevitable movie about the Bin Laden kill and market the living fuck out of it.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Close enough.

updated 5/25/2011 7:48:17 PM ET 2011-05-25T23:48:17
    LOS ANGELES — The Walt Disney Co. said Wednesday that it has withdrawn its application to trademark the phrase "SEAL Team 6," the elite unit that killed Osama bin Laden, after the Navy moved to protect its rights and the entertainment giant endured a wave of criticism and late-night jibes.

Disney sought the trademark rights on May 3, two days after U.S. operatives raided a luxury compound in Pakistan and killed the mastermind of the 9/11 attacks.

Disney's ABC subsidiary wanted to develop a TV show along the lines "NCIS" and "JAG," which are also real-life Navy units, and would have focused on the drama and heroism of the special forces members.

But it drew flak for not only its rapid filing, but also for a trademark application that included items like Christmas stockings and snow globes.

Comedy show host Jon Stewart needled the company on his "Daily Show": "I can't wait for the Happy Meal."

Navy spokeswoman Amanda Greenberg said the Navy already had rights to the SEAL trademark but recently submitted two new applications for trademarks of "Navy SEALs" and "SEAL Team."

"The Navy is fully committed to protecting its trademark rights as it pertains to this matter and is currently examining all legal options," she said.

Disney/ABC spokesman Kevin Brockman said the company pulled the plug on its bid "in deference to the Navy's application."

Disney is still interested in producing a show based on the unit's operatives although it would likely be produced by a third-party studio.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    Close enough.

Disney/ABC spokesman Kevin Brockman said the company pulled the plug on its bid "in deference to the Navy's application."
    Read: "Because we are complete & utter assholes, who got our asses handed to us by everyone and their brother. We should've known better, but we're money-grubbing cock suckers, and lack the conscious of the common gnat. So we're gonna save face and let the Navy have what's rightfully theirs, and hope they allow us to continue to use "NCIS" to make tons of money."
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 3,112 Times in 1,823 Posts

Premium Member

So the military, which already hold trademarks to many things, did not trademark the team 6 name--then realized the mistake after an entertainment company did, got it's way.

I don't see where Disney was an asshole. Seal Team 6 wasn't even the team's official name as it did it's thing for bin Laden.

I just don't see what the big deal is. It's actually known as United States Naval Special Warfare Development Group or DEVGRU. Disney wants to trademark a name no longer used for it and they're shitheads.

I'm not sure what the big deal is.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:21 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    So the military, which already hold trademarks to many things, did not trademark the team 6 name--then realized the mistake after an entertainment company did, got it's way.

I don't see where Disney was an asshole. Seal Team 6 wasn't even the team's official name as it did it's thing for bin Laden.

I just don't see what the big deal is. It's actually known as United States Naval Special Warfare Development Group or DEVGRU. Disney wants to trademark a name no longer used for it and they're shitheads.

Quit making sense! You are confusing me around here.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post

Well, for a guy, like me, that served in the military, it's a big deal. I don't want The House of Mouse, bastardizing the history, legacy or reputation of one of the most ELITE fighting units our country has ever had. If Disney would've won the trademark, they wouldn't have had to get Navy approval for anything concerning the name. Christmas stockings & ornaments??? For fuck's sake...really?? You don't see an issue with it??

And DEVGRU is the "parent" unit of all the SEAL Teams. There are 6 different SEAL Teams. So SEAL Team 6 IS an active unit, and therefore, the Navy still holds proprietary rights to the designation. As a Marine, I look at the SEALS and bow in homage. Marines kick all kinds of ass, but these guys do what we do, with 1/8 the manpower.

When the enemy hears the name SEAL's, they start looking over their shoulder. When they hear SEAL Team 6 is looking for them...they go in to hiding. That's how badass those dudes are.
    Last edited by RRMB; 05.26.11 at 09:01 AM.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 3,112 Times in 1,823 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RRMB View Post
    Well, for a guy, like me, that served in the military, it's a big deal. I don't want The House of Mouse, bastardizing the history, legacy or reputation of one of the most ELITE fighting units our country has ever had. If Disney would've won the trademark, they wouldn't have had to get Navy approval for anything concerning the name. Christmas stockings & ornaments??? For fuck's sake...really?? You don't see an issue with it??

And DEVGRU is the "parent" unit of all the SEAL Teams. There are 6 different SEAL Teams. So SEAL Team 6 IS an active unit, and therefore, the Navy still holds proprietary rights to the designation. As a Marine, I look at the SEALS and bow in homage. Marines kick all kinds of ass, but these guys do what we do, with 1/8 the manpower.

When the enemy hears the name SEAL's, they start looking over their shoulder. When they hear SEAL Team 6 is looking for them...they go in to hiding. That's how badass those dudes are.
    I don't want to come off as anti military, but I'm just saying I don't think that the Chuck Norris Delta Force board game has made the unit any less capable, nor did CHiPs make me respect the Highway Patrol any less.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 1,346 Times in 923 Posts

I guess I don't understand why Disney needs to (or thinks they can) trademark the name? If they want to make a movie about the SEALs, do they need a trademark for that? Do they need a trademark to make Burger King cups based on the movie? There are plenty of movies that feature the armed forces - have they needed in the past a trademark to make those films and depict our servicemen and women?

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

From what they were saying on Channel 9 in Orlando, they were looking to do a TV series on it.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 1,346 Times in 923 Posts

Do they need a trademark for that? Does CBS or Bellisario have a trademark for "NCIS"?