Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

11.09.05 @ 05:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just wanted to give my 2 cents here about some comments made about Brian Young. It's not my intention to name drop, it just happens to be to be an odd coincidence that I've been a member of VHforums for some time now and that I've known DLR's current guitarist for over 20 years. Thought everyone would be interested in some background (granted from my limited perspective) on DLR's extremely talented guitar player.

Brian and I both cut our musical teeth in various original and cover bands in the Ventura County area in the early to mid-eighties. We occasionally bumped paths. The first time I saw him play was probably circa 1980-1981 at a house party in Camarillo. My brother and I had just finished paying the cover door beer charge as Brian and his band were launching into the Jon Lord organ solo in 'Highway Star'. The solo started as my bro and I were still navigating our way through the house to the area where the
    band was performing. The solo was exact, yet somehow different. That was because the solo was being played by the guitar player. I don't know how he did it, but somehow he screwed with a flange or phase box to get a faux organ tone. Of course, after this solo and another chorus, he nailed Blackmore's guitar solo exactly, jumping between the root part of the solo and the third (overdubbed by Blackmore on the Machine Head album) with easy grace. My brother and I looked at each other knowing we had to go home after the party and practice (he's a guitarist, I'm a bassist). Obviously, this guy had a hell of an ear, and he used to do Randy Rhoads' live guitar solo note-for-note, as another example. I never heard him do EVH until I saw him in the Punkz; but obviously it was no surprise that he nailed the songs perfectly.

I got to know Brian when a few times our bands were on the same house party bill or battle of the band contest or what have you. His bands always had killer original songs that he had written. Later, we both attended MI, Brian 6 months ahead of me at GIT, me at BIT. As soon as I arrived, he invited me over to the dump of an apartment he was living in off of Hollywood Blvd. (not far from Groman's Chinese Theater). I forgot to thank him the last time I saw him for making me feel at home when I got to the school. I was still 18 years old, first time away from Mommy and Daddy, that sort of thing. I brought my bass and we jammed, and compared notes on Rush songs. He corrected a few notes I was missing on 'LaVilla Stangiato' and 'YYZ'; not on his guitar, but on my bass (not with a pick, but finger picked). Bastard. He played me a bootleg he had of Holdsworth and EVH at the Roxy; he had practically memorized the whole tape, puncuating with air guitar all of the nuances. A sign of things to come I suppose...

(BTW, before the DLR gig came along, he was also playing Alex's role perfectly in a Rush tribute band.)

Later, in the mid to late eighties, Brian and another long-time musician friend of mine, Steve Acosta, needed an emergency fill-in bass player for some studio work and a showcase they were doing for a band with the Soto brothers, Joey and Jeff Scot (former Yngwie vocalist), L'Amour. I wasn't quite a fit for the band, so I only played with them briefly, but it was a very enjoyable
    and memorable experience. They were a very promising band; in the veign of a lot a mid-eighties metal, and the songwriting was very good, a lot of the music by Brian. I was surprised they didn't get signed to a major, but I think that Yngwie came calling back for Jeff one day, and that was it. I still have a rehearsal tape, Brian will probably want that confiscated at some point.

I haven't seen Brian in over ten years save for a brief 'hello, what's up?' 5-minute conversation after a Punkz show recently, but a few things said about him in prior posts I think are misguided and uninformed. If anything, he is a better player now that when I played with him, and after all these years he is probably just itching to get some original stuff recorded and released. I'm sure he's got a stockpile and that it all kicks ass. Forgetting Brian for a moment, as a musician, I also find some of the statements
    annoying, because people are making huge assumptions about a musician based on one gig; a gig that is being performed flawlessly, yet that is being held against the musician. Maybe he should change the flange/phase effect on 'Unchained' as an example so some will think he's 'doing his own interpretation'. LOL...

badkaraoke said:

2) (DLR) should do something sensible with his cover band like record a version of a number from 5150 with his own lyrics or something - y'know something he can reasonably expect to achieve success with because his guitarist's whole career is based on copying Eddie. That should do well within his limited fanbase - they can pretend it's 1986 instead of 1984 now .

Maybe it'll sell a half million in Japan (LOL).
    Brian is just making a living. I find it odd how may reviews of the DLR shows w/ Brian acknowledge his uncanny accuracy at playing the VH tunes, and then immediately assume that is all he can do. He's doing what his employer is asking of him, but he is certainly capable of more.

MikeL said:

If the VH reunion doesn't happen, can Brian Young if he can't write. Get a song writing team together, spend some money for a great producer and engineer, and do a real rock album. None of this self-produced, crappy sounding DLR Band shit where the vocals are buried. Start playing it live, and making something of his obvious talent.
    Brian can write. Hopefully, DLR will give him the chance and also not expect just VH re-treads. I hope Brian is also able to stick to his guns and insist on some originality. Not an easy situation, but I think Brian is smart enough to know that he holds a lot of cards in his hand. DLR can't (as he has admitted himself on several occasions) make music without a collaborator.

Anyway, as usual, I've said enough, and that's way too much!
    <b><i>They call me the thread killer.</b></i><br /><br />First six albums rule. In addition, the following represent the only two Y2K release in the world that are preventing me from losing it altogether waiting for the VH reunion.<br /><br /><b>Galactic Cowboys</b> <b><i>Let It Go</b></i><br /><b>King's X</b> <b><i>Manic Moonlight</b></i><br /><b>Rush</b> <b><i>Vapor Trails</b></i> <br /><b>David Douglas</b> <b><i>Music From A Guest Room</b></i><br /><br />Later, VHDOF

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

09.07.08 @ 02:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A guy who gets any kind of gig with Dlr has got to be able to play the hell out of his instrument. Who knows where DLR would be if Jason Becker was still able to play. That guy was an amazing talent. I totally wish Brian the best.
    Van Halen without the original 4 is just not Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

I don't think anyone has a problem with Mr.Young. I think it's the route his employer is using him. I'm sure there is not a guitar player on this board that wouldn't tkae the job no matter how they feel about the situation.(Including yours truly.)

I'm sure he can play although the only context we have seen him in is doing an impersonation. Most people here know how hard it is for a musician to make a living. Every working musician has sometime in their carreer when they have to swallow their pride and do something to pay the bills.
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.15.14 @ 05:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

On the contrary, I think it's been great that Brian has chosen to spend the majority of his career copying other artists; many musicians do that. However, as you have chosen to point out, he's not spent the majority of his career trying to establish himself as a writer, and that's what Dave needs now in a solid, positive way. Brian may well be a great writer but in my opinion Dave needs a sure thing at this point in the game - he needs a label and real support, he's not getting any younger.

And by the way: I've seen dozens of GIT/MIT guys who COULDN'T hack it in the writing department, but as I'm sure you realize, that's purely a matter of opinion. But heck, there aren't a lot of Brian Young compositions that have zoomed up the charts and Brian probably wasn't hired by Dave for his writing - and yes, I am VERY familiar with MI, I own a good deal of their curriculum for guitar and it's great. I chose to go to music school at University.

As someone who has spent a good deal of his life writing songs and also playing music, occasionally even in cover bands myself I feel comfortable mentioning that there can be a difference between a guy who is obligated to spend all his time reproducing the material and styles of others and a guy who has dedicated his life to learning how to write hiw own style, which isn't easy and can be worth its weight in gold at the end of the day. It's not something a six month course with some ballad-meister is necessarily going to teach you to do either - I mean look at the level of writing that so many hard rock bands were churning out before the early 90's bust-up. Song writing is the next important thing in pop music after timbre.

It's the tunes that matter, I know guys who couldn't reliably nail the intro to Johnny B. Goode that have written hundreds of songs and are in high demand - John Hiatt is one such writer but there are many many more. Being able to nail Rhandy Rhoad's solos means you can nail Rhoad's solos - and that's certainly impressive but lemme tell ya there's harder things than that to play [img]smile.gif[/img] .

[ July 09, 2002, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: badkaraoke ]
    A headless body in a topless bar...

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

He Just doesn't need to be playing ERUPTION in Dave's Van Halen Tribute Band!

Thats Eddie's thing and no one else should play it in concert.
    Its like somebody else playing STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN, thats a classic that should only be touched by the man who created the masterpiece.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Brian does not do Eruption.
    Eat Us and Smile...yeah we're still around.

Roth Army Webmaster
    http://www.rotharmy.com

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Reckless Fable:
    Speaking of musicians needing to pay bills, there is a guitar player by the name of Greg Howe out there that just lights it up. He is one the most amazing players I have heard in the 2nd generation of guitar players influenced by Van Halen. Anyway, he is "paying the bills" right now by touring as the guitar player for Enrique Inglesias, Michael Jackson and the Backstreet Boys!!! Hey, it gives him enough money to make records that HE wants to make and he has enough of a following that he can break even with his albums...Check out his website at www.greghowe.com...

It is really hard being a guitar player who wants to stay true to the roots right now. I'm not saying anything negative towards today's music, it is just that if you are a guitar wizard, you better find another job that will support your habit... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Hey Greg is from the Allentown area of PA, he is a ripping player!!

But a musician has got to work too, you know???

Here is a link that works...

http://www.greghowe.com/

[ July 09, 2002, 07:02 AM: Message edited by: DLR'sCock ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.15.14 @ 05:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by BrownSound1:
    Conniption? Erection? What's his version called?
    A headless body in a topless bar...

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and the rest of the first 6 albums!
    Favorite VH Song

Everthing off of the first 6 albums!
    Last Online

01.10.09 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by badkaraoke:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BrownSound1:
    Conniption? Erection? What's his version called?</font>[/QUOTE]Genuflection. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Can't wait to see how good he really is.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member
    DLR Cock,

Thanks for fixing the link to the website. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Can you believe how insane Greg is on the guitar?

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

11.09.05 @ 05:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm aware that RR's live guitar solo wasn't technically that difficult (heck, I'm a bass player, and I can play most of it on guitar)...However, as always, it is not just the notes but the inflection and feel that are critical to something like that. Same goes for Eruption: a lot of it is very 'trick-oriented' and once you've nailed the trick, you've got that part down. But putting the whole thing together and doing it with a reasonable sense of timing, feel, and emotion is another matter. I've heard dozens of guitar players messing with the Eruption licks, including some from the 'Guitar' room forum, and only two have nailed it: Brian Young with the Punkz and, of course, EVH (twice for me: LA Forum 1982, US Festival 1983). Anyway, this is away from the topic at hand.

Brian Young is the closest thing that DLR will get to a 'sure thing' at this point in the game. He will do no better, save possibly for a VH reunion or a EEAS reunion, both of which I would welcome with open arms, although I'd be disappointed for Brian. In fact, Brian's stuff may even end up being as good as what DLR could do in either of the aforementioned reunions.

Of course, just my opinion.

P.S.

BTW, no disrespect intended towards the 'Guitar
    Room' in the above statment. There are some
    excellent and extremely knowledgeable players in
    there...

[ July 09, 2002, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: VHDOF ]
    <b><i>They call me the thread killer.</b></i><br /><br />First six albums rule. In addition, the following represent the only two Y2K release in the world that are preventing me from losing it altogether waiting for the VH reunion.<br /><br /><b>Galactic Cowboys</b> <b><i>Let It Go</b></i><br /><b>King's X</b> <b><i>Manic Moonlight</b></i><br /><b>Rush</b> <b><i>Vapor Trails</b></i> <br /><b>David Douglas</b> <b><i>Music From A Guest Room</b></i><br /><br />Later, VHDOF

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member
    Speaking of musicians needing to pay bills, there is a guitar player by the name of Greg Howe out there that just lights it up. He is one the most amazing players I have heard in the 2nd generation of guitar players influenced by Van Halen. Anyway, he is "paying the bills" right now by touring as the guitar player for Enrique Inglesias, Michael Jackson and the Backstreet Boys!!! Hey, it gives him enough money to make records that HE wants to make and he has enough of a following that he can break even with his albums...Check out his website at www.greghowe.com...

It is really hard being a guitar player who wants to stay true to the roots right now. I'm not saying anything negative towards today's music, it is just that if you are a guitar wizard, you better find another job that will support your habit... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]