Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Default Jerry Lewis Retires from MDA telethon..Sahara Hotel Closes

I can't think of one individual who has raised as much funds for one charity let alone on what had been (at one time) a kind of "orphan" disease.

Had to happen sometime, but 2 Las Vegas announcements in the same day tell us how the world has changed

goodbye Rat Pack

Jerry Lewis retiring from MDA telethon in September

Associated Press
    Monday, May 16, 2011 | 2:55 p.m.

After 45 years, Jerry Lewis is retiring as host of the Muscular Dystrophy Association's Labor Day telethon.

The 85-year-old comedian and Las Vegas resident issued a statement Monday through the Tucson, Ariz.-based Muscular Dystrophy Association calling it time for a "new telethon era." He says he'll make his final appearance on the six-hour primetime telethon Sept. 4 by performing his song "You'll Never Walk Alone." Lewis says he'll continue as the association's national chairman, a role he's held since the early 1950s.

Lewis' first Labor Day weekend telethon in 1966 was broadcast by a single New York City television station and raised more than $1 million.

Last year's Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon raised almost $59 million to fund research to find a cure for muscular dystrophy and ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease.

Guests say goodbye as Sahara goes dark

http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/kat...s-down-sahara/

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:32 PM
    Liked 137 Times in 89 Posts

I haven't been to Vegas in 15 years, I loved the old school places. Stardust, Sahara, Caesars palace, and the old shithole places off strip that had quarter craps and blackjack.
    Dealing with it.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

People get old. No reason though a legendary place like the Sahara shouldn't be able to live a lot longer. Probably going to pop in another sterile luxury hotel.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:24 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

45 years raising money for children. God Bless him.

Thank you Jerry!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 600 Times in 391 Posts

Remember this?

My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

I had some fun times at the Sahara over the years.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

As a kid in the 70's/80's it was always my end of summer goal to stay up all night to watch the telethon... Never was able to go all night, I'd usually fall asleep around 2am... LOL
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    People get old. No reason though a legendary place like the Sahara shouldn't be able to live a lot longer. Probably going to pop in another sterile luxury hotel.
    That was the plan when the current owners picked it up. But with the economy in the dumper those plans went on the shelf. Now, it costs more than it makes to keep it open. They mothballed two hotel towers already. There aren't any current plans for the property. So it will just stand there silently, probably until the economy picks up and they knock it all over. There was some talk about a very slim chance of re-opening, but I think that was just wishful thinking since they're going to sell all the decorations and gaming equipment.

As for Jerry? 45 years steadily beating the drum for MDA? No one can touch that.

Would have been cool to have closed out his tenure live from the Sahara.
    Posted from yo' mama's house.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
    Would have been cool to have closed out his tenure live from the Sahara.
    I agree... I think more effort should have been made to pull off such a show...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

The Muscular Dystrophy Association announced Wednesday that comedian Jerry Lewis is no longer serving as the organization's national chairman.

Lewis, 85, and MDA had announced in May that he was retiring as host of the MDA Labor Day Telethon in September. But he said then in a statement that he was planning to continue to serve as the organization's national chairman.

"As a labor of love, I've hosted the annual telethon since 1966," Lewis said in the news release issued in May by the association. "And I'll be making my final appearance on the show this year, by performing my signature song, 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'"

Jim Brown, vice president of public relations for the MDA, told CNN in a telephone interview that Lewis will not be replaced in his role as national chairman.

He also said that Lewis will not host this year's telethon, which is scheduled for September 4. Instead, it will be hosted by Nigel Lythgoe, Nancy O'Dell, Allison Sweeney and Jan Carl, Brown said.

No explanation was offered for the change of plans -- either about his position as national chairman or about the plan to replace him in next month's telethon.

For 45 years, Jerry Lewis and the organization's annual Labor Day fundraiser have been synonymous, so much so that it became known as the Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon.

Lewis hit it big at age 20 in 1946, teaming up with Dean Martin to become one of the most popular comedy partnerships in history. Together, they headlined thousands of sold-out performances, 16 hit movies and two dozen top-rated television shows.

After the break-up of the Martin and Lewis team, Lewis made a successful solo career. In 1959, he signed a seven-year, $10 million contract with Paramount -- at the time, the largest contract ever between a studio and performer.

His solo film career included classics such as "The Nutty Professor," "The Bellboy" and "The Geisha Boy."

Still, for several generations since, Lewis has been known as much as a philanthropist as a movie star. That's because of his work with the Muscular Dystrophy Association, a nonprofit dedicated to curing that disease, ALS and related ailments as well as providing support, education and other services.

Lewis joined the cause in the early 1950s, and he gave it star power in 1966 when he became the host of what would be the charity's first of many telethons over Labor Day weekends.

In between occasional songs, comic bits and passionate pitches for people to donate, his biggest challenge was keeping the variety show lively and engaging for as long as 21.5 consecutive hours.

Scores of television stations across the country picked up the program, while volunteers stood by to take calls from people pledging donations.

The 2010 edition raised $58,919,838 after performances by the likes of acrobatic dancers from Cirque du Soleil, "American Idol's" David Archuleta, and a host of comedic performers. Still, throughout the acts, the one constant over 900 hours of programming has remained Lewis.

This year's event will be shorter than many of years past at six hours.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:06 PM
    Liked 3,115 Times in 1,826 Posts

Premium Member

Vegas is having some real problems. End of July I stayed at the Monte Carlo for 3 nights for $160 total. Earlier this year I had a spa room at the NY NY for $80 a night and end of last year had a suite at Mandalay for 2 nights for bout $100.

Back in the day I had to stay at the Excalibur to be cheap. Not so much anymore.

Some of the grandiose hotels are pretty awesome. But I think the market is saturated at this point. Economy's gotta turn around before they build a new hotel.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

I think the telling/sad thing is the stalled projects on both sides of the strip - one was supposed to be a Fountainbleu, forget what the other one was supposed to be but it's pretty much on the site of the old New Frontier and Stardust hotels. I just think like so many other things these days, the power brokers in Las Vegas got caught up in the hype and tried to cater to the big spenders, forgetting that a lot of little people still go (went) to Vegas and liked staying at some of the older sites that maybe weren't as spectacular looking as the new places, but had more character. Heck, most of the places have actually done away with money!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

The Muscular Dystrophy Association has reinstated comedian Jerry Lewis as the host of the MDA Labor Day Telethon, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reports.

In a stunning reversal, Lewis was reinstated Saturday to the MDA Labor Day Telethon he has hosted since 1966, according to a source close to Lewis, reports Norm Clarke, who writes the paper's Vegas Confidential column.

Lewis, 85, has been MDA's national chairman since the early 1950s and has hosted the MDA Labor Day Telethon since 1966.

Lewis announced in May that he was retiring as host of the telethon, but added that he would make a final appearance on this year's show and planned on continuing to serve as MDA's national chairman.

MDA Chairman of the Board R. Rodney Howell said in a statement that Lewis "will not be appearing on the telethon" and "we will not be replacing him as MDA national chairman."

Howell added that Lewis "is a world-class humanitarian and we're forever grateful to him for his more than half century of generous service to MDA."

Lewis received a lifetime achievement award from the Nevada Broadcasters Association Saturday, saying that he made his reputation in show business by saving lives.

"I made my reputation in this business caring for what I did, caring for the people that I did it for," Lewis said.

Lewis made no mention of being reinstated while accepting his lifetime achievement award.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:06 PM
    Liked 3,115 Times in 1,826 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    The Muscular Dystrophy Association has reinstated comedian Jerry Lewis as the host of the MDA Labor Day Telethon, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reports.

In a stunning reversal, Lewis was reinstated Saturday to the MDA Labor Day Telethon he has hosted since 1966, according to a source close to Lewis, reports Norm Clarke, who writes the paper's Vegas Confidential column.

Lewis, 85, has been MDA's national chairman since the early 1950s and has hosted the MDA Labor Day Telethon since 1966.

Lewis announced in May that he was retiring as host of the telethon, but added that he would make a final appearance on this year's show and planned on continuing to serve as MDA's national chairman.

MDA Chairman of the Board R. Rodney Howell said in a statement that Lewis "will not be appearing on the telethon" and "we will not be replacing him as MDA national chairman."

Howell added that Lewis "is a world-class humanitarian and we're forever grateful to him for his more than half century of generous service to MDA."

Lewis received a lifetime achievement award from the Nevada Broadcasters Association Saturday, saying that he made his reputation in show business by saving lives.

"I made my reputation in this business caring for what I did, caring for the people that I did it for," Lewis said.

Lewis made no mention of being reinstated while accepting his lifetime achievement award.
    Publicity stunt or did they realize the horrible (public opinion-wise) decision they'd made not letting him say goodbye on the telecast?

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Publicity stunt or did they realize the horrible (public opinion-wise) decision they'd made not letting him say goodbye on the telecast?
    both