Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 12:27 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts

Default Lotus Guitar project tuner question

I have an old Lotus guitar that was my first guitar that I am going to modify. The guitar plays well, but I am putting an EVH Frankenstein in the bridge and a Fender Jeff Beck hot noisless single coil in the neck.

It's a strat shape, but not a strat copy as it has the single coil/humbucker configuration. The neck seems to be the same as on their strat copies though.

It has a Floyd Rose licensed tremolo that is more like a Fender one and a string clamp behind the nut that is similar to the locking nut on a real Floyd. Seems to have a rosewood fingerboard. 21 frets.

The string clamp got stripped out from repeated string changes as a teen (I broke a lot of strings then)

My question is this: I want to remove the string clamp entirely and replace the tuners with the Schaller Fender brushed metal 6-in-line locking tuners. The kind that don't need a mounting screw. Any idea if those will fit?

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

jabbo,

I replaced my lotus guitar tuners with some schallers and they fit just fine. If they are of standard size I think you will be ok. If not you should be able to retro fit the holes (widen them) to the width you would need.

I think you should be good to go though. I was when I replaced my lotus tuners.

good luck with your project.

Rob

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    jabbo,

I replaced my lotus guitar tuners with some schallers and they fit just fine. If they are of standard size I think you will be ok. If not you should be able to retro fit the holes (widen them) to the width you would need.

I think you should be good to go though. I was when I replaced my lotus tuners.

good luck with your project.

Rob
    Thanks. I didn't have time to take a picture this morning, but I will later. I looked at them though and they are 6 in line, like on a strat and don't seem to be an unusual size. They are black, with no mounting screw and seem to have a washer with a nut on top to hold them in. Does that sound like yours?

Did you change the pickups or anything else? if so, how did it turn out sound wise? I've always liked how this guitar played.

The Fender Schaller locking tuners I am looking at seem to be the same (Picture to come).

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

These are the fender ones, which seem similar in size, just not in color

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

These are the ones from the Stew Mac site, which I assume are the same as the Fenders above, just not in color.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

yeah I did change the PUPs too and they sounded much better than the stock Lotus crap Pups they have in there.

looks like your good to go on the tuners.

Rob

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

I think so too. if they are too small, I'll just sell them and if they are too big, I can make the holes bigger.

Did you have the Lotus Strat copy?

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    yeah I did change the PUPs too and they sounded much better than the stock Lotus crap Pups they have in there.

looks like your good to go on the tuners.

Rob
    Well, I thought I was good to go on the Tuners as well and the Fender Schallers arrived today just like the ones shown in the picture in this thread.

They seem to fit in the holes in the neck fine, but the mounting pegs are about one peg to far away to fit in the existing holes. If you put the tuner in, the peg starts JUST past the actual mounting hole. It seems like that might be making it slightly off center relative to the hole too (see the photo). Not sure what to do or if they make locking tuners where the pegs aren't as far away as on the Schallers.

I could always put the string clamps back on, but I'd rather use the tuners if I could. I had gotten a nw string clamp where I noticed that the notches were a bit deeper than the original one that came with the guitar (which is stripped. Not sure how much difference that would make.

Or I could go without the locking tuners or the string clamp

Any suggestions?

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jabbo View Post
    Well, I thought I was good to go on the Tuners as well and the Fender Schallers arrived today just like the ones shown in the picture in this thread.

They seem to fit in the holes in the neck fine, but the mounting pegs are about one peg to far away to fit in the existing holes. If you put the tuner in, the peg starts JUST past the actual mounting hole. It seems like that might be making it slightly off center relative to the hole too (see the photo). Not sure what to do or if they make locking tuners where the pegs aren't as far away as on the Schallers.

I could always put the string clamps back on, but I'd rather use the tuners if I could. I had gotten a nw string clamp where I noticed that the notches were a bit deeper than the original one that came with the guitar (which is stripped. Not sure how much difference that would make.

Or I could go without the locking tuners or the string clamp

Any suggestions?

Dude... Drill some new holes for the tuners. It's a tad tricky to do it by hand and be accurate, but you can make a template.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

I should only need to do it for the mounting pegs, right? They seem to fit the other holes fine.

At first, I was worried about doing it as I didn't want to have the original tuners not fit if I screwed this up, but I don't think that will be an issue as the original holes will still be there.

I've never done this and don't have a drill press, just a regular drill. In terms of a template, what would you suggest I do?

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Default Schaller locking tuners

I got some Schaller 6-in-line locking tuners (The brushed steel Fender ones) for an old Lotus guitar I am modifying.

The posts are staggered and the tuners had fallen out of teh package when I got it in the mail, so they are out of order.

They go from highest to lowest right? Highest on the low E string and so on

Two of them have a I on the back
    One has a II

3 have III

Is it, from low E to high E: I, I, II, III, III, III?

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    Dude... Drill some new holes for the tuners. It's a tad tricky to do it by hand and be accurate, but you can make a template.
    Also, I have noticed that the tuners are numbered as follows:

Two tuners with I
    One tuner with II
    Three tuners with III

Am I to assume the ones with the same numbers are the same size? I've heard the staggered tuners go in order from highest to lowest starting with the low E string. is that right? So if I is the highest, would it go like this?

Low E: I
    A: I
    D: II
    G: III
    B: III
    E: III

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Yes, lowest on the high E string and highest on the low E string. You should be able to set them on a flat surface and see their various heights.

The two mounting pegs run parallel, correct? And they will end up running vertical to the straight side of the headstock, correct? Measure the distance on the tuner from the edge of the shaft to the mounting pegs. Use a square (or something similar) and draw a line on the back of the headstock to the left of the mounting hole--exactly the same distance from the hole that you measured earlier on the tuner. Place the tuner in the mounting hole and lower it to just the point where the mounting pegs touch the wood. Be sure they run parallel to the line you drew. Mark the spots. Drill your holes there not more than 1/4" deep. You have a straight side in the top of the headstock. You have a straight edge on the tuner. You should be able to use those edges to make it work and mount the tuners on straight.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    Yes, lowest on the high E string and highest on the low E string. You should be able to set them on a flat surface and see their various heights.

The two mounting pegs run parallel, correct? And they will end up running vertical to the straight side of the headstock, correct? Measure the distance on the tuner from the edge of the shaft to the mounting pegs. Use a square (or something similar) and draw a line on the back of the headstock to the left of the mounting hole--exactly the same distance from the hole that you measured earlier on the tuner. Place the tuner in the mounting hole and lower it to just the point where the mounting pegs touch the wood. Be sure they run parallel to the line you drew. Mark the spots. Drill your holes there not more than 1/4" deep. You have a straight side in the top of the headstock. You have a straight edge on the tuner. You should be able to use those edges to make it work and mount the tuners on straight.
    OK. I guess I was just getting thrown off by the roman numerals on the back of the tuners and wondering if they indicated what size(s) they were

They do run parallel and, when mounted, do run vertical to the straight edge of the headstock. Seems like this should be easy enough with a ruler and some patience.

Do you know offhand what size drill be these things typically need? Id on't want to make the hole too big.

Thanks for the help

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Default Having some issues with this

first, I thought I measured the tuners and that they were one of two heights. Clearly from these photos they are not (an easy fix, but since they all seemed to be 2 heights, I just plopped them in after I drilled the holes)

Also, having never had locking tuners, are the strings supposed to be that high off the headstock?

I don't have all the strings installed as I was just testing this out so this may correct itself, but the strings are WAY too tight, especially the G and B around the 12th fret and higher. They are pretty much touching the frets and clanking if I try to play anything. I had gotten some bad advice and tightened the screws holding the springs for the tremolo arm too much and that made the tension worse. I have since fixed that and modeled it after how my wolfgang's setup was

For installing strings in these tuners, you just pull them tight, lock, cut the excess and tune, right?