Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 460 Times in 200 Posts

Default Amsterdam (end solo)

Hey guys,

I was playing along to Amsterdam this am and at the end of the song where Ed just starts ripping what key is he playing in? Normally Ed solos in E but I dont think at the end of amsterdam he is soloing in E. What key is it? I was thinking maybe G or B. Again this is at the end of the song right before it ends.

thanks,

Rob

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    Hey guys,

I was playing along to Amsterdam this am and at the end of the song where Ed just starts ripping what key is he playing in? Normally Ed solos in E but I dont think at the end of amsterdam he is soloing in E. What key is it? I was thinking maybe G or B. Again this is at the end of the song right before it ends.

thanks,

Rob
    Forgive me for spamming your thread here with my video, but you can see the basic chord shape for the solo at the end of my cover here -- I can't explain it as well as just letting you see it:

It seems to be mostly based in the F# pentatonic scale with some other notes thrown in for accents.

As you can see, I didn't play the end solo note for note at all, but I was in the same overall 'shape' or scale.
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 05.10.11 at 08:51 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

ha ha,

its kinda funny because it was your video that prompted me to start jamming to Amsterdam again. The good thing about this song is you can have fun at the end of the song exactly like you did and that is whats cool about it. Even though you did not play it note for note to Ed you NAILED it. Also dont forget Ed never plays the end solo the same each time. I have tons of 95 era boots where Ed plays it a little different each time.

I pretty much played it like you did too but was curious what key it was in. I think your right... F# sounds about right.

thanks,

Rob

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    ha ha,

its kinda funny because it was your video that prompted me to start jamming to Amsterdam again. The good thing about this song is you can have fun at the end of the song exactly like you did and that is whats cool about it. Even though you did not play it note for note to Ed you NAILED it. Also dont forget Ed never plays the end solo the same each time. I have tons of 95 era boots where Ed plays it a little different each time.

I pretty much played it like you did too but was curious what key it was in. I think your right... F# sounds about right.

thanks,

Rob
    Haha, thanks! You are totally right about that song and how you can do so much with it... it might be my favorite song of ALL TIME. I'm a huge fan of the 1990-1999 era VH, especially the RHRN and Balance tours, so I've got a ton of Balance tour bootlegs. Ed always seemed to come up with something new and interesting for the ending solo.

I just hope someday I'll be able to see Eddie rip Amsterdam live and in person.... be it Dave or Sammy or Gary or no one on vocals!!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

yeah me too. I love that song... so loose and happy and feel good you know. Ed is certainly having a good time while he plays it.

I would love to see him play it again too. I doubt it will be Dave singing it though..... ha ha, I would love to see Sam sing it again.

Ed actually hated the lyrics to the song hence ended up hating the song. I have an interview where he said he did not like the fact it was about smoking a doob and he wasted a good riff on that topic. ha ha...

I would still love to see him rip into that one again though.

Rob

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Speaking of happy, feel good EVH music and playing.... Don't know if you've seen this, but there's some awesome clips of Amsterdam in there....

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

yeah I have that on dvd and as a matter a fact I was watching it the other night. Ed looked great back then and it was neat to see him unveiling the new PV.

I remember back in 97 I got a black standard right when they first came out. Had to have it after seeing the 96 NAMM show. Ha ha.

thanks for posting that.

Rob