Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

The Students with Bush on 9/11: The Interrupted Reading

There has rarely been a starker juxtaposition of evil and innocence than the moment President George W. Bush received the news about 9/11 while reading The Pet Goat with second-graders in Sarasota, Fla.

Seven-year-olds can't understand what Islamic terrorism is all about. But they know when an adult's face is telling them something is wrong - and none of the students sitting in Sandra Kay Daniels' class at Emma E. Booker Elementary School that morning can forget the devastating change in Bush's expression when White House chief of staff Andrew Card whispered the terrible news of the al-Qaeda attack. Lazaro Dubrocq's heart started racing because he assumed they were all in trouble - with no less than the Commander in Chief - but he wasn't sure why. "In a heartbeat, he leaned back and he looked flabbergasted, shocked, horrified," recalls Dubrocq, now 17. "I was baffled. I mean, did we read something wrong? Was he mad or disappointed in us?"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/2011050...08599206932700
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

I like this part of the story:

"One thing the students would like to tell Bush's critics - like liberal filmmaker Michael Moore, whose 2004 documentary Fahrenheit 911 disparaged Bush for lingering almost 10 minutes with the students after getting word that two planes had crashed into the World Trade Center - is that they think the President did the right thing. "I think he was trying to keep everybody calm, starting with us," says Guerrero. Dubrocq agrees: "I think he was trying to protect us." Booker Principal Gwendolyn Tose-Rigell, who died in 2007, later insisted, "I don't think anyone could have handled it better. What would it have served if [Bush] had jumped out of his chair and ran out of the room?"

Actually, the whole thing is a good read.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

damn I'll never forget that day. I worked a few blocks from the airport where AF1 was parked. Kind of worried that something would blow up the plane!
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 3,112 Times in 1,823 Posts

Premium Member

This was always obvious to anyone with a brain. I just hate, hate, hate, hate the partisanship over the last 10 years. Yes, many Bush policies begged for criticism, but the recent revelation of Pelosi's Bush-era bin Laden comments compared to her recent ones really show the way this works.

What I mean by that is that if Obama or Clinton had done what Bush did, they would have been revered by the left as having been smooth, caring, and acting cool under pressure. He couldn't have done anything right away, so he was protecting the KIDS! Oh how wonderful for Clinton and Obama to act so well under pressure! Instead, they made Bush out to be a buffoon.

Hey may have been a buffoon when it came to many things, but this is one thing he did right.

What was he going to do, immediately jump to action, become James bond and wipe out al-Qaeda with his super secret Islamic Death Ray gun?

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    This was always obvious to anyone with a brain. I just hate, hate, hate, hate the partisanship over the last 10 years. Yes, many Bush policies begged for criticism, but the recent revelation of Pelosi's Bush-era bin Laden comments compared to her recent ones really show the way this works.

What I mean by that is that if Obama or Clinton had done what Bush did, they would have been revered by the left as having been smooth, caring, and acting cool under pressure. He couldn't have done anything right away, so he was protecting the KIDS! Oh how wonderful for Clinton and Obama to act so well under pressure! Instead, they made Bush out to be a buffoon.

Hey may have been a buffoon when it came to many things, but this is one thing he did right.

What was he going to do, immediately jump to action, become James bond and wipe out al-Qaeda with his super secret Islamic Death Ray gun?
    Agreed.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy 150 View Post

"One thing the students would like to tell Bush's critics - like liberal filmmaker Michael Moore, whose 2004 documentary Fahrenheit 911 disparaged Bush for lingering almost 10 minutes with the students after getting word that two planes had crashed into the World Trade Center - is that they think the President did the right thing. "I think he was trying to keep everybody calm, starting with us," says Guerrero. Dubrocq agrees: "I think he was trying to protect us." Booker Principal Gwendolyn Tose-Rigell, who died in 2007, later insisted, "I don't think anyone could have handled it better. What would it have served if [Bush] had jumped out of his chair and ran out of the room?"

I thoroughly enjoyed it too. I read Bush's book "Decision Points" and he said he knew that his reaction would be beamed around the world and he absolutely did not want to look panicked. Under the circumstances of what he had just been told, I think he handled it amazingly well.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 18,126 Times in 8,952 Posts

I have never understood why people thought what he did was so wrong.

How about the dumb ass reporter asking him about it before he left the room and the President calmly saying "we will talk about it later."

I think that shows his state of mind that he didn't want to scare the small children in the room.

The man did a ton of things as CIC that I disagree with, but that isn't one of them.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

I always said that Bush was the kinda guy I'd like to sit down and have a drink with but didn't want running my country. He just seems like a stand-up guy and that's about as far as I'd go.

That said, I think he handled this situation very well. My stupid fourth grade teacher (she was young, new, and didn't make it the whole year) told us there was a bombing in New York and that the guys that did it were "on the run," which led me to think "Gee, they'll blow up the fuckin' Sears Tower next, joy." I was terrified the whole day, until I got some clarification as to what happened after school. I sure as hell didn't feel any safer but I didn't feel nervous, either.

Another thing I give my parents credit for was not hiding ANY of what happened that day from me just because I was nine years old. After reading the posts from folks my age asking who Osama bin Laden was, I honestly couldn't imagine NOT knowing

Moral of this story is, Dubya did the right thing with the second grade class. I give him an enormous amount of credit for what he did.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

So dumb....

Ten minutes where he was calm with the kids...

....while secret service, his advisers and everybody else on his team was formulating a plan. There's no instant plan for something like that. I'm sure ten minutes was used for assessing and devising the best course of action to take. I'm actually rather impressed with ten minutes.

Such a dumb thing to nitpick.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    What I mean by that is that if Obama or Clinton had done what Bush did, they would have been revered by the left as having been smooth, caring, and acting cool under pressure.
    ...and the right would have said what the fuck were they doing/thinking for that ten minutes. So that leaves us right back where we started. Right where we will always be. A country divided. Politics as usual. Rinse and repeat.

For the record, this middle of the road(i'm trying)guy thinks he did the right thing.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 3,112 Times in 1,823 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by hagarfn View Post
    ...and the right would have said what the fuck were they doing/thinking for that ten minutes...Politics as usual. Rinse and repeat.
    Yes, you're right.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy 150 View Post

I don't think anybody has ever said that he should have caused a panic by jumping up, screaming and running out of the room.

He was told that "we are under attack." That's it. No more details. I don't know, but if I was told that and I was Commander and Chief, it would be very hard for me to just sit and stare for 10 minutes. I wouldn't cause a panic, but I don't know if somebody told me that the country in which I am the leader of was "under attack", I'd probably have to get up and say, "Excuse me a moment...." and proceed to leave the room. Kids wouldn't think anything of it.

He didn't know what "we are under attack meant". It could have meant anything at that moment. You don't just get told that your country is under attack and just sit for 10 minutes because you don't want to make a classroom full of children, suspicious. And that's all they would have been...suspicious. Not scared. Just wondering, "Hmmmm...that man talked to the President and then the President left the room. Hmmmm." Suspicion. Not panic.

Quote Originally Posted by ZachenFoot View Post

That said, I think he handled this situation very well. My stupid fourth grade teacher (she was young, new, and didn't make it the whole year) told us there was a bombing in New York and that the guys that did it were "on the run," which led me to think "Gee, they'll blow up the fuckin' Sears Tower next, joy." I was terrified the whole day, until I got some clarification as to what happened after school. I sure as hell didn't feel any safer but I didn't feel nervous, either.
    See that's the other extreme. Bush didn't have to do what your teacher did. These are kids, you don't tell them that. Hell I was in Grade 8 at the time and I didn't even know what had happened until 3:15 when my Dad picked me up that day. Other classes were told but our teacher seemed like she didn't know anything.

But like I said, how do you get told, "the country is under attack" and just sit there?

Again, maybe it was the right thing to do. Maybe it wasn't. All I know is that I couldn't sit for 10 minutes upon being told that information. You don't need to cause a panic by getting up and leaving the room.
    Last edited by MF5150; 05.06.11 at 10:44 AM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZachenFoot View Post
    I always said that Bush was the kinda guy I'd like to sit down and have a drink with but didn't want running my country. He just seems like a stand-up guy and that's about as far as I'd go.

Another thing I give my parents credit for was not hiding ANY of what happened that day from me just because I was nine years old. After reading the posts from folks my age asking who Osama bin Laden was, I honestly couldn't imagine NOT knowing

Moral of this story is, Dubya did the right thing with the second grade class. I give him an enormous amount of credit for what he did.
    My older two boys (4th and 2nd grade at the time) were lucky, in that, the school pretty much blocked out ALL news of the incidents that happened on 9/11 and even sent home flyers to the parents advising us of that fact. We, the parents, were responsible for informng our children of the events in our own way, something I respected the school's principal for.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:10 AM
    Liked 538 Times in 321 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I don't know what exactly he was told, whether they told him more info is on the way, no other info available, or what.

I find it hard to believe it was "we are under attack" and that's it. I just do. Whoever whispered in his ear is a dope, then. Unless they had some "code" worked out where a key word gets him up and moving no matter what. Frankly, I'd expect there WOULD be a key "let's go NOW" word in those situations, and if he wasn't given it, he should continue on until further word is received or a logical break presents itself.

Frankly, I've heard very few criticize Bush for that day. Maybe some radicals, but they're nut jobs, nobody pays any attention to them. Once everything played out, I seem to remember people being pretty positive about how Bush handled it.

I think this fuss is actually pretty ironic - there wasn't any widespread credible criticism, people who say there was are trying to make something out of nothing. Just like the few whack nuts who criticized Bush because that's what they do...

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:46 AM
    Liked 6,680 Times in 3,704 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    My older two boys (4th and 2nd grade at the time) were lucky, in that, the school pretty much blocked out ALL news of the incidents that happened on 9/11 and even sent home flyers to the parents advising us of that fact. We, the parents, were responsible for informng our children of the events in our own way, something I respected the school's principal for.
    that school has excellent leadership.