Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

01.22.17 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Wolfgang Headstock Question

Does anyone have a tracing or template of the Fender Wolfgang headstock, especially the tuner hole placement. The new one, versus the Peavey, seems narrower. I know that could be because of the binding making it look that way, but it also seems to have straighter string pull and that make sense for a narrower side to side width. When peavey redesigned the Wolfgang into the HP special, they made a big deal about straight string pull and the HP has kind of an incongruent tuner hole pattern. The Fender Wolfgang appears to have achieved straight string pull and a congruent tuner hole pattern.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated (I know some guys own both). I like the neatness in appearance of guitars with straight string pull. I know it is probably pure vanity and some would say who cares, but guess I care.

I have access to a standard and a special at Cascio Interstate Music near Milwaukee, but they keep them in a room with video cameras and I would feel more than a little weird taking pictures with rulers and graph paper.

So can anyone help a brother out?

P.S. I have looked at three different "templates" of the Peavey headstock and all of them are slightly different. Also did a thread search and found nothing.

Last Online

10.09.15 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I dont have the template but what the hell difference does strait string pull make with a locking nut?

"out of the seven threads he's started here, four have been closed for being cluelessly ponderous as well as outright insipid"
    -chefcraig on me

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VF5150 View Post
    I dont have the template but what the hell difference does strait string pull make with a locking nut?
    It shouldn't make any difference as far as I know, Like I said it's an appearance thing. And if you have other versions of the guitar that don't have a tremolo on it, then I would think you would eventually have nut issues.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

It makes absolutely no difference with a locking nut. Purely cosmetic.
    I don't blame you though for your quest for perfection. Haha!
    I had a bass that had a weird offset on the strings. it played awesome, and I didn't have any mechanical issues with it, but it just looked kinda sloppy and poorly crafted, with two of the strings going on different angles though the bass as a whole was fantastic.
    They just did it that way on the bass because of two reasons. One, a very small headstock, and two, the size and mounting hole location of the selected tuners.
    On the Wolfgang....eeeehhhh, could have been related to headstock size. To me the new Wolfgang's head almost looks smaller than the Peavey, but I think it's just an illusion with the redesign where the formerly dished area is now cut out completely.
    Last edited by we die young; 04.20.11 at 05:43 PM.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am terrible when it comes to my stuff. I was that kid who had try on 10 pairs of pants because my mom had to check and make sure the seams were sewn straight. This, because my grandma made all of my mom's cloths growing up perfection was the standard. To this day my mother buys two of everything. One to use and one to keep nice. I guess I got the crazy gene. Thanks mom!

P.S. When I was referring to a version of the guitar without a tremolo, I meant without a tremolo and a regular nut (bone/Corian), not a guitar without a tremolo and a locking nut.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stephenjay21 View Post
    I am terrible when it comes to my stuff. I was that kid who had try on 10 pairs of pants because my mom had to check and make sure the seams were sewn straight. This, because my grandma made all of my mom's cloths growing up perfection was the standard. To this day my mother buys two of everything. One to use and one to keep nice. I guess I got the crazy gene. Thanks mom!

P.S. When I was referring to a version of the guitar without a tremolo, I meant without a tremolo and a regular nut (bone/Corian), not a guitar without a tremolo and a locking nut.
    Dude...I am terrible too! I drive people absolutely nuts! I've got a super critical eye. Chalk it up to years restoring classic cars, and trying to get all the gaps right. Yeah...I know what you mean about standard trems and straight string pull, it does obviously have an effect on tuning stability when using the bar, or are a heavy bender like I am. If you give a string an opportunity to bind, it will.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks to a high quality picture from the music zoo and some photoshop resizing, I have got what I needed.

PS. I have started to see a lot stores start taking orders for Left hand wolfgang specials. Supposed to be due in May - which it is - so stay tuned lefties.