Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:41 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Default Goodbye Llanview, Farewell Pine Valley...it's the end of the Soap Opera Era

ABC has announced the cancellation of All My Children and One Life to Live...leaving General Hospital the only soap on ABC

All My Children will end in September..which is awful because they just made the entire cast and crew relocate to California last year, and One Life to Live wraps it up at the end of 2011

I believe that leaves only 4 soaps General Hospital, Days of our Lives, The Bold and the Beautiful and The Young and Restless on the air.

wow, we used to plan our college courses around that three hour AMC/OLTL/GH block and the student union was filled with soap watchers

but hey..its the soaps...there's always an evil twin, or a mysterious figure lurking in the shadows and a resurrection from the dead!

ABC cancels 'One Life to Live,' 'All My Children'
    April 14, 2011, 3:31 PM EST
    By Daniel Frankel
    TheWrap

ABC announced Thursday that it will cancel venerable daytime dramas "One Life to Live" and "All My Children," leaving only four English-language soap operas on the air.

ABC described the move as an evolution, and it simultaneously announced two new lifestyle shows, "The Chew" and "The Revolution."

The cancellations add to the huge change coming to ABC-owned and -operated stations, with Oprah Winfrey's long-running syndicated series set to sign off May 25.

"While we are excited about our new shows and the shift in our business, I can't help but recognize how bittersweet the change is," said Brian Frons, the president of daytime for Disney ABC/Television Group. "We are taking this bold step to expand our business because viewers are looking for different types of programming these days."

The network promised in a news release to "conclude each series in a manner that respects their legacies and the longstanding hopes of many of their viewers."

Both "All My Children" and "One Life to Live" were created more than four decades ago by Agnes Nixon.

"All My Children," set in fictional Pine Valley, a town that closely resembles the Philadelphia Main Line, premiered on ABC on Jan. 5, 1970, as a half-hour show; seven years later it expanded to an hour. Star Susan Lucci was nominated for a Daytime Emmy 18 times before finally winning for Outstanding Lead Actress in 1999.

"One Life to Live," set in the fictional town of Llanview, which is modeled on a Philadelphia suburb, debuted July 15, 1968, as a half-hour show and became an hourlong in 1978.

"All My Children" won the Emmy Award for Outstanding Drama Series in 1992, 1994 and 1998. It has received more than 30 Emmy Awards in all, and has taken on such social issues as AIDS, abortion, cochlear implants, teenage alcoholism, racial bias, acquaintance rape, spousal abuse, homosexuality, Reyes syndrome, Vietnam MIAs and more. The show aired daytime's first same-sex kiss between two lesbian characters, as well as its first same-sex wedding between two women.

"One Life to Live" won the Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series in 2002. Its daytime firsts include stories of interracial romance, illiteracy, medical misdiagnosis, racial prejudice, gang violence and teen pregnancy.

Among its most celebrated story lines was one in 1992 about a gay teen (the then-unknown Ryan Phillippe) that culminated with the display of the Names Project AIDS Memorial Quilt. The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation named it Outstanding Daytime Drama in 1993, 2005 and 2010.

"The Chew," which will premiere in September 2011, focuses on food as a source of joy, health, family ritual, friendship, breaking news, dating, fitness, weight loss and travel. The hosts include Mario Batali (Food Network's "Iron Chef America"), entertaining expert Clinton Kelly (TLC's "What Not to Wear"), Carla Hall (Bravo's "Top Chef"); Michael Symon ("Iron Chef America") and nutrition expert Daphne Oz.

"The Revolution," a working title, will premiere in January 2012. The show, from "Biggest Loser" producers JD Roth and 3 Ball Productions, focuses on health and lifestyle transformations. The hosts include Tim Gunn ("Project Runway"), trainer Harley Pasternak and "American Idol" alumna Kimberley Locke.
    Last edited by Daisy Hill; 04.15.11 at 08:46 AM.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Eruption
    Last Online

01.10.13 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is horrible, I am not a fan of soaps but I appreciate the tradition. I hope the remaining four hold on til the end. I really don't see these new shows having a run of 40 years, but whatever. I wonder if the Soap Network could afford to pick any of them up?

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:58 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

IMO eventually all the soaps will be terminated. The cost of production is too much for the networks. Talk shows are cheap and easy to produce.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Eruption
    Last Online

01.10.13 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    IMO eventually all the soaps will be terminated. The cost of production is too much for the networks. Talk shows are cheap and easy to produce.
    So if that's the rationale will all scripted TV be replaced by reality TV eventually?

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

All my Children was due to be cancelled...Erica Kane has married everyone at least once.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:41 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Not really....Erica had a wedding today but she was kidnapped..scary what I know

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:58 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeautifulGirl5150 View Post
    So if that's the rationale will all scripted TV be replaced by reality TV eventually?
    I think so. Unless the show can rake in advertising dollars like Seinfeld or Two and a Half Men
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

This is terrible news. I used to watch those two shows every day way back when. I was lost once Friday hit with the cliffhangers.

Gee, what's next? DOOL on NBC?? (already cancelled)?

RIP ABC soaps.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Soaps are expensive, and I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner...what with so many shows in prime time going the less expensive "reality TV" mode.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

And I can't imagine it's something you'd ever see on DVD.

Favorite VH Album

adkot
    Favorite VH Song

she's the woman/hbsd
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts

Default Must-See Web TV: Soaps Move Online

Just like the shocking plot twists on daytime dramas, the soap operas "One Life to Live" and "All My Children" aren't really dead: They're just moving to the Web.

Fans can put away their hankies and get out their mouse pads: The TV shows that started in the last century and ran for four decades will continue as Web TV. Same sets! Same casts! And, we're guessing, lots of new, dramatic cliffhangers.

Here's what happened. First, ABC announced that the daytime dramas would end. Instead, daytime programming will be filled with cheaper-to-produce, reality-style shows like food-oriented "The Chew" and lifestyle-themed "The Revolution."

But instead of going dark, the soaps are going digital. According to the press release from ABC, Prospect Park, a TV, film and music company owned by former Disney studio boss Rich Frank, has licensed the shows

Think Hulu for soaps. The agreement promises that the Internet version will still "produce and deliver the two long-running programs" online and on Web-enabled TV. Fans of Pine Valley and Llanview take note: The new owners will keep the same cast and crew -- even soap queen Susan Lucci -- and continue the story lines.

Prospect Park owners released a statement that read, in part, "The driving force in making the switch and attracting new audiences is to have outstanding programs that people want to watch. We believe that by continuing to produce the shows in their current hour format and with the same quality, viewers will follow the show to our new, online network."

Yahoo! searches on the soap seem to ensure success of the online enterprise, which will add more Web shows to its lineup. One-day searches on "all my children," "all my children cast," "all my children finale," "all my children hairstyles," and "all my children recaps" all showed dramatic gains. Ditto for "one life to live," "one life to live discussion group," "one life to live episodes," and "one life to live soap spoilers," which all surged over 100% in one-day lookups. Plus, the desperate plea: "is any other network going to pick up one life to live?" Wish granted.
    My karma just ran over your dogma

Love 'em all I says
    Let Cupid sort 'em out

https://www.facebook.com/debra.browne.3114