Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Default EQ's...What You Running?

Mornin'.
    Last Friday I was at the music shop checking out EQ's as I was looking for a little more mid range boost control to smooth out my rig.
    I decided to try the MXR 10 band. Nice looking pedal, illuminated sliders, built like a tank, and had independent volume and gain. Money back guarantee if I didn't like it so picked it up.
    Set it up in my rig, and though it did really liven up the mid gain on my Old Marshall, the noise was pretty heavy, like unbelievably overbearing. This only got worse switching my A/B to the 5150. Not a huge deal; I can click it off, but I like to have similar tone between my crunch and lead channels, but just more gain obviously on the lead, without having to tapdance all over my board switching stuff on and off.
    So the instructions say to reduce the signal to noise ratio, then up the gain and volume accordingly to just below clipping, makes sense, but then the gain gets real unnatural, and ads very "solid state" like distortion to the signal. This is supposed to be an EQ, not a fuzz box! lol!
    I tried pretty much everything, but aside from ultra clean Strat tones which DO sound very nice, this pedal did little to help with my usual higher gain settings, so took it back.
    So what are you guys running for EQ? Maybe I just got a bum pedal?
    I used to have an old Boss GE, and I swear it was quieter than this thing was.

I just want a bit of subtle boost which seems this thing was just not capable of.
    Again, maybe it was just a bad pedal. I couldn't believe how much noise was introduced into the signal. What's your experiences? Anyone own/ swap out this pedal?
    Last edited by we die young; 04.05.11 at 09:16 AM.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

10.18.13 @ 05:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use a Fish & Chips. Its fairly quiet, & cheap.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe try a 'higher end' rackmount or more studio oriented graphic EQ. I'd venture to say that most of those are designed more for clean headroom, less color, and low noise.

Also, my experience with a 6 band MXR EQ was similar to your experience.... it didn't sound natural, and it was noisy.

On Fire
    Last Online

01.16.13 @ 12:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The guys at Metroamp discuss EQs all the time. According to them, the old Boss 10 band eq was great, helped with the tone, the old blue MXR was great too, the new MXR is bad.
    Here are some:
    http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=35193
    http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=34370
    http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=34156
    http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=34079

I guess that it all comes to trying out, since tone is subjective. Tone, not noise! lol

I used for a while a simple, stupid, cheap Behringer and it was nice. Not a lot of noise added, but I used to run a Decimator. Like I said, it's a matter of trying out!
    Last edited by nhotas; 04.05.11 at 11:54 PM.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Thanks guys!
    Yeah MRJ...I have a custom rack EQ unit in my studio which is real transparent. Little to no noise, but, it's a real permanent fixture in there, a bitch to have to disconnect from the rack. Plus some of the places we play are real small, so rolling out my full rack isn't a real option as there's barely room for my amp rig as is! lol. That's why I was looking at a pedal version.
    Good to know there's been other experience with these. Like I said, I used to have a old 70's Boss GE 10 band before, like in the early 90's which was awesome, but, the sliders were getting very noisy, and I was always having to spray contact cleaner in them to keep the static sound out, but it always returned, so I sold it.
    I noticed in the gear pages that some of the linkers have pedal EQ's.
    Brett I saw you run one. How do you rate yours? Use it most of the time? Your settings are kinda along the lines of where I like it too, but with that MXR, I could barely get above 2 db's of boost, and the noise was real obnoxious. I already run a noise gate in my FX loop, and adding more gate to compensate just killed the response.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by kissmyace View Post
    Hey!
    Thanks for that....Is that the Danelectro? Excuse my ignorance....though you should be used to that already! lol.

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I had a 10 band MXR for a long time and do not recall any noise at all...

However, Once I added a BBE sonic maximizer, I completely removed the EQ.
    You might try one if you can get your hands on one.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Thanks Mikey. It is possible I just picked up a bad pedal. It does happen where there's just a bad component. I've looked at You Tube prior to getting it, and it didn't really seem that noisy except at extreme mid boost levels. Unfortunately though, I wasn't able to try this pedal out in the store, as they were very busy, and all their iso rooms were stacked for guys waiting to get in. I just went with the assurance of refund if I didn't like it, so that's what I did.
    I was a bit bummed actually! lol. I mean the build quality of this thing was awesome, among the best I've seen as of late, plus the illuminated sliders are a big plus seeing what's going on on a darkly lit stage or studio. The bypass is a killer feature as well. No pop noise clicking over.
    I might head over to Tom Lee and check another out this weekend as well as that Fish n' Chips EQ mentioned above.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Thanks Mikey. It is possible I just picked up a bad pedal. It does happen where there's just a bad component. I've looked at You Tube prior to getting it, and it didn't really seem that noisy except at extreme mid boost levels. Unfortunately though, I wasn't able to try this pedal out in the store, as they were very busy, and all their iso rooms were stacked for guys waiting to get in. I just went with the assurance of refund if I didn't like it, so that's what I did.
    I was a bit bummed actually! lol. I mean the build quality of this thing was awesome, among the best I've seen as of late, plus the illuminated sliders are a big plus seeing what's going on on a darkly lit stage or studio. The bypass is a killer feature as well. No pop noise clicking over.
    I might head over to Tom Lee and check another out this weekend as well as that Fish n' Chips EQ mentioned above.
    i have an MXR 10-band and don't get much more noticeable noise when i kick it in, i use it mainly to to boost the mids and high end and cut the low end on certain amps (cough..5150 and SLO).
    it's funny, me and MRJ were just talking about this on facebook the other day and i was saying how much i hate fiddling with EQ-pedals to get the sound i hear in my head, which is why i bought a Diezel VH4 and Fractal Axe FX, that rig does everything i need or could ever want.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:09 PM
    Liked 11,600 Times in 4,945 Posts

Yeah I have the Boss GE-10 on my board. It's ok not noisy but I also have a BBE Sonic Maximizer too so I rarely need the EQ. I do also have the blue 6-band MXR one and I think it actually works better than the Boss.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Yeah I have the Boss GE-10 on my board. It's ok not noisy but I also have a BBE Sonic Maximizer too so I rarely need the EQ. I do also have the blue 6-band MXR one and I think it actually works better than the Boss.
    Cool! The Boss GE's were very good. Especially the older ones. Hey...Is the Sonic Maximizer sort of like the old Aphex Aural Exciter? That was a cool old unit. Not sure exactly how it worked, but it kind of worked with the natural harmonics and gave a sort of boost that way. I used to own one in my old studio, but it got ripped off with a bunch of stuff during a break in. It wasn't in a rack so the fuckers just grabbed everything that wasn't bolted down.

Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Cool! The Boss GE's were very good. Especially the older ones. Hey...Is the Sonic Maximizer sort of like the old Aphex Aural Exciter? That was a cool old unit. Not sure exactly how it worked, but it kind of worked with the natural harmonics and gave a sort of boost that way. I used to own one in my old studio, but it got ripped off with a bunch of stuff during a break in. It wasn't in a rack so the fuckers just grabbed everything that wasn't bolted down.
    ya pretty much same thing, cept BBE makes several version, rack stereo down to foot pedal and you can adjust the lows and highs.. for me, it seems to pull out those frquencies I was always trinyg to get with the EQ... more of a clearity than a change in frequency.

http://www.bbesound.com/products/sto...nic-stomp.aspx

theres link to the home page of the stomp version, I think there are some demo videos
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Metalhead View Post
    ya pretty much same thing, cept BBE makes several version, rack stereo down to foot pedal and you can adjust the lows and highs.. for me, it seems to pull out those frquencies I was always trinyg to get with the EQ... more of a clearity than a change in frequency.

http://www.bbesound.com/products/sto...nic-stomp.aspx

theres link to the home page of the stomp version, I think there are some demo videos
    Very cool! Thanks Mikey!
    BTW...Love your collection. You've got some killer gear there, my man!

Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

Very cool! Thanks Mikey!
    BTW...Love your collection. You've got some killer gear there, my man!
    thanks man, I picked up a engl preamp I love... so maybe ill do something constructive soon lol

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,188 Times in 8,988 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kissmyace View Post
    I honestly thought at first you were being a smart ass, I had never heard of that one before!
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!