Register
Save
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    On Fire
    Last Online

01.15.13 @ 11:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    Yeah, that's the "story", but that story is false... remember that Ed was touring Europe in the fall of 1978 with the guitar. "VH II" was recorded in December 1978 to January 1979...
    See? That is why I like reading your posts! The dates can't lie! Well done!

I wouldn't say "for sure", Sergio. Afterall, the Shark can be seen in the Neil Zlozower photos of the VH II recording sessions. Whether or not they where actually recording that day is debatable, though!
    Yeah, I know, but those could be merely poses... and that is why I mentioned misleading Ed. Ed said it lost its sound, but that could be a stunt to prevent people from curring their Explorers and Destroyers. I know I've seen the Shark being played live, but live is a different thing, there is no need for such sound... purity, if you know what I mean. So, the shark could be quite usable live, but not in the studio environment.

As with lots of other things, the answer is... who knows?

Eruption
    Last Online

06.09.19 @ 11:59 AM
    Liked 114 Times in 72 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nhotas View Post
    Yeah, I know, but those could be merely poses... and that is why I mentioned misleading Ed. Ed said it lost its sound, but that could be a stunt to prevent people from curring their Explorers and Destroyers. I know I've seen the Shark being played live, but live is a different thing, there is no need for such sound... purity, if you know what I mean. So, the shark could be quite usable live, but not in the studio environment.

As with lots of other things, the answer is... who knows?
    I think we'll leave this discussion for the Shark thread!
    WGAF?!!

On Fire
    Last Online

10.04.16 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what a great and informative thread! i guess you guys know what guitar brand i like and play.

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.03.19 @ 08:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well done, Jimi!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

08.20.19 @ 09:16 AM
    Liked 2,065 Times in 960 Posts

Awesome thread, Jimi. I love stuff like this...

Regarding the whole Dimebag thing. Dime's girlfriend was asked about it a few years ago, which some of it was posted over at Blabbermouth in 2007...

From Blabbermouth....

Metal Monthly: Many people do not know that Eddie Van Halen buried one of his guitars with Darrell. This is true, right? And like 20 bottles of Crown Royal?

Rita: [Laughs] There's a few bottles of 7 up in there too! My boy loooves Seagram's! But yeah, Vinnie and I were trying to figure out which guitar, and about that time Ed called... he asked me on the phone if there was anything he could do, and I said, "Yes, as a matter of fact there is... Can you stripe him a yellow-and-black guitar?" He said, "Are you sure you don't want the red-black-and-white?" I said, "No... Dime told me the yellow-and-black is the shit! It's the toughest lookin'!" He always thought that. We had just seen VAN HALEN in Midland, TX a few weeks earlier and that was the first time Dime ever got to meet Eddie Van Halen. They hung out before and after the show. Dime even got to play on his rig at soundcheck. He was like a kid in a candy store... the way his eyes were lit up. He told me later in the limo — which Van Halen provided — "How cool is that?" Anyway he leaned over and looked me right in the eyes and said, "If I died tonight, it wouldn't matter, 'cause I've done everything now, I've met Eddie Van Halen!" and he had the biggest smile on his face... he was so happy! But, shit, I strayed! I'm the world's worst about telling 10 stories at once! [Laughs] Back to Ed... He said, "OK," that he would be down in a couple of days. When Ed came in at the viewing, he had the guitar, but it wasn't the guitar we expected... he told Vinnie and I that "Dime was an original and only an original deserves the original!" He popped open the case and there it was... his original '79 still with the rusted set of strings on it! It was so amazing!!! I took it in to Dime and I said, "See, baby, you didn't get a replica! You got THE one," and I gave him a kiss on the forehead and place it in there with him... Ed was awesome and I thank him still!
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I always wondered what profile that original neck had? i know it was painted black which is odd since ed liked unfinished necks?

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Charvelstrat_81 View Post
    I always wondered what profile that original neck had? i know it was painted black which is odd since ed liked unfinished necks?
    The original VH II neck apparently had the exact same specs as the black and white franky neck.
    WGAF?!!

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The original VH II neck apparently had the exact same specs as the black and white franky neck.
    was that the classic san dimas profile? He stated that he liked wide/thin necks and i was told the mike eldred over at charvel made that profile for charvels to follow. i have a few and they all have that thin/wide feel that i love. not like a ibanez wizard but a real shallow C shape

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

08.19.19 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 608 Times in 256 Posts

My thanks to everyone for taking the time look through both the Franky and VH II threads. There will be more to come. Upcoming threads will feature the "Snake", the "Unchained", the "EVH Rude", The "Star", the "Kramer Ad Franky", the "5150" and many more...
    hey Jimi.... you know what another good one to do this on would be? The 1984 Kramer. You could get into the timeframe it was built around the Kramer 5150 era and how it started with the chrome floyd and 2 star'd neck and then during the 5150 tour had the black floyd, different neck and A bass string for good enough. I would love to see what you dig up on that one too.

but these are some good threads for sure.

Rob

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    hey Jimi.... you know what another good one to do this on would be? The 1984 Kramer. You could get into the timeframe it was built around the Kramer 5150 era and how it started with the chrome floyd and 2 star'd neck and then during the 5150 tour had the black floyd, different neck and A bass string for good enough. I would love to see what you dig up on that one too.
    Rob
    I think you just covered everything right there, Rob! LOL! The only thing I would add is that Ed gave the original 1984 it to Wolfgang a few years ago.
    WGAF?!!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

ha ha,

yeah I know after I typed that message I was like..... "wait a minute... I dont want to steal his thunder." ha ha..

I just figured you would have some more information than I did. But yeah I forgot about that. Ed did say in the dwyer/michaels interview back in 03 I think it was that he gave it to Wolf and the only thing he did was put a dtuna on it. The 84 Kramer never did have a lot of pics on but it was something that I always liked.

anyways, I dont want to hikack the thread. On to the B/Y bee again. I will post some pics of my 84 Kramer on another thread.

Rob

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 1,045 Times in 552 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post

Rita: But yeah, Vinnie and I were trying to figure out which guitar, and about that time Ed called... he asked me on the phone if there was anything he could do, and I said, "Yes, as a matter of fact there is... Can you stripe him a yellow-and-black guitar?" He said, "Are you sure you don't want the red-black-and-white?" I said, "No... Dime told me the yellow-and-black is the shit! It's the toughest lookin'!" He always thought that. We had just seen VAN HALEN in Midland, TX a few weeks earlier and that was the first time Dime ever got to meet Eddie Van Halen. They hung out before and after the show. Dime even got to play on his rig at soundcheck. He was like a kid in a candy store... the way his eyes were lit up. He told me later in the limo — which Van Halen provided — "How cool is that?" Anyway he leaned over and looked me right in the eyes and said, "If I died tonight, it wouldn't matter, 'cause I've done everything now, I've met Eddie Van Halen!" and he had the biggest smile on his face... he was so happy! But, shit, I strayed! I'm the world's worst about telling 10 stories at once! [Laughs] Back to Ed... He said, "OK," that he would be down in a couple of days. When Ed came in at the viewing, he had the guitar, but it wasn't the guitar we expected... he told Vinnie and I that "Dime was an original and only an original deserves the original!" He popped open the case and there it was... his original '79 still with the rusted set of strings on it! It was so amazing!!! I took it in to Dime and I said, "See, baby, you didn't get a replica! You got THE one," and I gave him a kiss on the forehead and place it in there with him... Ed was awesome and I thank him still!

Have seen this before but it's still maybe the best story of Ed going. Remarkable act of selflessness especially when you read first hand how it went down.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

07.26.19 @ 04:08 PM
    Liked 504 Times in 309 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    Awesome thread, Jimi. I love stuff like this...

Regarding the whole Dimebag thing. Dime's girlfriend was asked about it a few years ago, which some of it was posted over at Blabbermouth in 2007...

From Blabbermouth....

Metal Monthly: Many people do not know that Eddie Van Halen buried one of his guitars with Darrell. This is true, right? And like 20 bottles of Crown Royal?

Rita: [Laughs] There's a few bottles of 7 up in there too! My boy loooves Seagram's! But yeah, Vinnie and I were trying to figure out which guitar, and about that time Ed called... he asked me on the phone if there was anything he could do, and I said, "Yes, as a matter of fact there is... Can you stripe him a yellow-and-black guitar?" He said, "Are you sure you don't want the red-black-and-white?" I said, "No... Dime told me the yellow-and-black is the shit! It's the toughest lookin'!" He always thought that. We had just seen VAN HALEN in Midland, TX a few weeks earlier and that was the first time Dime ever got to meet Eddie Van Halen. They hung out before and after the show. Dime even got to play on his rig at soundcheck. He was like a kid in a candy store... the way his eyes were lit up. He told me later in the limo — which Van Halen provided — "How cool is that?" Anyway he leaned over and looked me right in the eyes and said, "If I died tonight, it wouldn't matter, 'cause I've done everything now, I've met Eddie Van Halen!" and he had the biggest smile on his face... he was so happy! But, shit, I strayed! I'm the world's worst about telling 10 stories at once! [Laughs] Back to Ed... He said, "OK," that he would be down in a couple of days. When Ed came in at the viewing, he had the guitar, but it wasn't the guitar we expected... he told Vinnie and I that "Dime was an original and only an original deserves the original!" He popped open the case and there it was... his original '79 still with the rusted set of strings on it! It was so amazing!!! I took it in to Dime and I said, "See, baby, you didn't get a replica! You got THE one," and I gave him a kiss on the forehead and place it in there with him... Ed was awesome and I thank him still!
    I have never been much of a Pantera or Damageplan fan, but I still get really sad and pissed off whenever I think abut that day Dime was killed. Reading there about Rita talking to Dime's body as she put the guitar in his casket makes me even more sad and pissed off about it. Ed was a wreck at that point in his life but he was able to do one class thing by handing over the Bumblebee. Classy and touching thing to do.

And Jimi keep these threads coming cause they are fuckin great!
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

I agree with you 100% MF.... Ed was at a tough spot in his life during that time and the idea of him putting the VHII bee in with Dime was a real special, from the heart thing to do....

Rob

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 7,685 Times in 3,842 Posts

Donor

Yeah, that's the "story", but that story is false... remember that Ed was touring Europe in the fall of 1978 with the guitar. "VH II" was recorded in December 1978 to January 1979...

I wouldn't say "for sure", Sergio. Afterall, the Shark can be seen in the Neil Zlozower photos of the VH II recording sessions. Whether or not they where actually recording that day is debatable, though!
    Ok if it wasn't the charvel on VH2 then what was it? The sound was so different that I'd like to know hat it was. Of all VH albums, the guitar sounds horrible on that album.