Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

02.11.19 @ 11:30 AM
    Liked 113 Times in 71 Posts

The VH II is now disassembled...

...and it disappears from public view until roughly 1992 when it's again photographed for another Japanese phtoshoot.

The neck is the same 22-fret, Kramer Strat headstock neck that used to adorn the Franky...
    WGAF?!!

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Last Online

The pick-up ring was originally creme, but Ed colored it black with a marker!

Here a great shot of the back...

...notice two things: the shape of the control cavity-it's actually an inversed Strat control cavity! Also,there's the fact that there's a second pot. What was the purpose of this second pot? Most likely, it functioned as tone control.

Now, let's address a common misconception about Ed and VH II...
    How many times have you read or heard that Ed hated this guitar? Probably enough times to believe that it was true, but I submit to you that this was not the case. Sure, he may have had some issues with the sound/tone due to the Floyd, but I believe he actually loved this guitar. Afterall, WHY would he play it live for three consecutive world tours?!
    The notion that Ed disliked or even hated the Charvel VH II is not accurrate. What Ed really hated was the fact that Grover Jackson was building and selling EVH-style striped Charvels without his permission! That's why he denigrated the guitar! Ed was furious at Grover and any potential endorsement deal with Charvel that might have been on the table at the time ended when Ed had his lawyers issue a "cease and desist" order.
    From that point forward, Ed obviously made a deliberate descision that he wouldn't do anything to further Jackson's sales of those guitars by raving about them...

As far as Dimebag...
    Dime had asked Ed for a black and yellow EVH Art Series Charvel. Ed was going to give him one, but before he could, the insane, senseless tragedy happened. A grief-stricken Ed then did a truly selfless and noble thing- he gave up the original black and yellow Charvel so that it could be buried with Dime.
    Last edited by jimi11580; 04.04.11 at 08:57 PM.
    WGAF?!!

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jimi-
    These are GREAT! THANK YOU for doing this. Great choice of pictures, nice "matter-of-fact" details, cool thoughts on theories, and overall, its just a fun read. Good job! Aces!
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh,
    Keep it coming! I'm sure you'll do these in order? LOL! The Shark is next? ;-)
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Red43j View Post
    Jimi-
    These are GREAT! THANK YOU for doing this. Great choice of pictures, nice "matter-of-fact" details, cool thoughts on theories, and overall, its just a fun read. Good job! Aces!
    Thanks, Josh. You know this is all your fault, right? LOL!

My thanks to everyone for taking the time look through both the Franky and VH II threads. There will be more to come. Upcoming threads will feature the "Snake", the "Unchained", the "EVH Rude", The "Star", the "Kramer Ad Franky", the "5150" and many more...
    WGAF?!!

Last Online

12.16.18 @ 10:34 AM
    Liked 186 Times in 58 Posts

Awesome Thread!! Love the VH2 axe.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

02.20.19 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 15,301 Times in 6,629 Posts

I will say Ed giving up the real VH II for Dimebag's casket was one of the coolest things he's ever done. I give it up to him for that.

Seeing these pics makes me want to build one.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Jimi: are you aware of any video clips of Ed using the VHII live (on youtube or anywhere else)? me and a friend were searching a while back and couldn't find anything
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    Jimi: are you aware of any video clips of Ed using the VHII live (on youtube or anywhere else)? me and a friend were searching a while back and couldn't find anything
    I know I've seen one.... if I'm remembering right it was in a montage without sound.... I'll see if I can find it.

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    There was a video floating around on Youtube from the 1980 Pink Pop Festival in Holland. It shows Eddie playing "Running with the Devil" with the VH II, but it's a mere seconds worth of footage.
    I'm sure that there is plenty of footage out there from the the three world tours that Ed used that guitar. Whether it will ever be released or seen again publicly is another story, though.
    WGAF?!!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

01.08.19 @ 09:26 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 814 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    There was a video floating around on Youtube from the 1980 Pink Pop Festival in Holland. It shows Eddie playing "Running with the Devil" with the VH II, but it's a mere seconds worth of footage.
    I'm sure that there is plenty of footage out there from the the three world tours that Ed used that guitar. Whether it will ever be released or seen again publicly is another story, though.
    I saw someone posted that in Nov. or Dec. It was just a couple seconds.
    Very cool thread Jimi. Did Ed use the guitar on any album tunes that you know of? I can't recall. Forgive me if you already answered. I have not gone over all the posts since yesterday. Just on a quick break at work.

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Did Ed use the guitar on any album tunes that you know of? I can't recall.
    I really don't know, but it was available for the recording of VH II and all subsequent albums...
    WGAF?!!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Found it, thanks Jimi
    Last edited by tommywho5150; 04.05.11 at 12:12 PM.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

On Fire
    Last Online

01.16.13 @ 12:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    I really don't know, but it was available for the recording of VH II and all subsequent albums...
    Now, Jimi, far from me to question your knowledge, but I thought that the VH-II was only made available after the recording of the album. If I remember, the story goes as Ed had just received it for the photo shots of the album.

I think that we can say for sure that he didn't use the Shark, though, since, at the time, it had already been sawed from Destroyer into Shark, and, according to misleading Ed, the tone changed... for worst!

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by nhotas View Post
    Now, Jimi, far from me to question your knowledge, but I thought that the VH-II was only made available after the recording of the album. If I remember, the story goes as Ed had just received it for the photo shots of the album.
    Yeah, that's the "story", but that story is false... remember that Ed was touring Europe in the fall of 1978 with the guitar. "VH II" was recorded in December 1978 to January 1979...

Quote Originally Posted by nhotas View Post
    I think that we can say for sure that he didn't use the Shark, though, since, at the time, it had already been sawed from Destroyer into Shark, and, according to misleading Ed, the tone changed... for worst!
    I wouldn't say "for sure", Sergio. Afterall, the Shark can be seen in the Neil Zlozower photos of the VH II recording sessions. Whether or not they where actually recording that day is debatable, though!
    Last edited by jimi11580; 04.06.11 at 12:33 AM.
    WGAF?!!