Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Obama announces re-election bid

With a short video on BarackObama.com, the sitting president of the United States has launched his bid for re-election.

Using what apparently will be one of his campaign slogans, "It begins with us," the campaign has told supporters that the kickoff of the campaign has started and that means the race for contributions is on.

The familiar looking blue "O" over red and white stripes is back again for 2012. And at the bottom of the website, the candidates' names are clearly identified: OBAMA-BIDEN -- for Vice President Joe Biden.

Shortly afterward, Obama sent an e-mail to supporters to say he will also file papers Monday with the Federal Election Commission.

"We've always known that lasting change wouldn't come quickly or easily. It never does. But as my administration and folks across the country fight to protect the progress we've made -- and make more -- we also need to begin mobilizing for 2012, long before the time comes for me to begin campaigning in earnest," Obama said in his e-mail message.

He is expected to host his first re-election fundraiser in Chicago on April 14, according to the sources.

The president is making his campaign official slightly earlier than is typical for an incumbent so he can get a jump on fund-raising in a season that's likely to shatter all records.

Obama's team has been asking campaign bundlers to raise $350,000 each, no easy task since campaign finance laws limit gifts to $2,500 per donor.

Two sources tell CNN the campaign team hopes that in total their bundlers will raise $500 million, leaving the campaign to raise another $500 million and amass a record-breaking $1 billion war chest.

According to these sources, the president has made calls to top donors and conference calls are planned this week to supporters and key Democratic groups.

Vice President Joe Biden is already planning to be in New Hampshire Monday and will meet with key supporters in that crucial early voting state.

For the past few weeks, Jim Messina, who will manage the campaign, and Patrick Gaspard, executive director of the DNC, have been flying around the country meeting with frustrated donors working to get them re-engaged.

So far no Republican contenders have formally announced. But these days, the likely Republican presidential contenders are making endless visits to key early voting states and meeting with supporters across the country.

One top Democrat says, "The Republicans are out there day in and day out beating up on the president -- they're basically running without filing. So to say we're going first isn't totally fair." This person adds, "No one wants to start running now. The president is engaged in the country, this is about getting (campaign) staff up and running."

Additionally, top Democrats say two former White House staffers are likely to set up a third-party outside spending group.

Former Deputy Press Secretary Bill Burton and Sean Sweeney, former aide to then-Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, have been approached by Democratic donors who are concerned about countering the influence of Karl Rove and the Koch brothers in the upcoming 2012 election.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:05 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

"The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts

Donor

Great, now he will run for re election for the next 20 months instead of doing his job. On second thought that could be a good thing.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:52 AM
    Liked 4,807 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

Yeah we are so fucked and the worst part about it is that half the people out there think he is doing a good job. They will vote for him regardless of whomever the GOP puts out there. The same is said about when Bush was in. Our country needs effective leadership and we are going to get Obama and whomever pleases the far right the best.

We are fucked more than Shanks mixing Roth's vocals.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:18 PM
    Liked 1,084 Times in 726 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    For the past few weeks, Jim Messina, who will manage the campaign,
    Dude who used to play with Kenny Loggins???
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:05 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post

We are fucked more than Shanks mixing Roth's vocals.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Personally, I think I will vote for him again. People tend to overlook the good he has done and would rather focus on the things he hasnt done. For example...

The BP oil spill.

When all of that shit went down, Obama and his administration were reacting within days of the spill and they made sure that BP took full responsibility for the spill. They made sure that those affected by the spill were compensated by BP and he made sure that the oil got cleaned up as quickly as possible.

Rewind to a couple of years ago with Hurricane Katrina...

Hurricane Katrina hits New Orleans and it takes WEEKS if not at least a month for the Bush administration to react and respond. They even had the nerve and audacity to hold a fake FEMA press conference to make it seem that they were actually doing something when in reality they werent doing anything at all. Im sure that anyone here on the boards from New Orleans will agree with me on that one.

And here is another irony I just stumbled upon...

Bush invades Iraq for no god dammed reason and sends thousands of our troops to die just to topple a dictator. He is praised for it.

Obama along with NATO sends over Air Support only for the people and rebels of Libya and he is ridiculed because his administration is doing "too much". He has already made it very clear that there will be no US troops on the ground in libya.

Obama wants to invest in renewable energy such as solar, nuclear, wind and electric power that will NEVER run out. It seems congress is fighting him on this at every turn.

Bush wanted more off-shore drilling of oil that WILL eventually run out. Everyone thinks its a great idea.

Obama's administration bails out banks and GM. Not his most popular move but if his administration didnt act, thousands upon thousands of more people would be without jobs right now.

Bush's holy war was the direct/indirect cause of the financial crisis to begin with

Yeah...I will definitely be voting for obama again. Thats a promise.
    Last edited by Thai Boxer 9901; 04.04.11 at 07:46 AM.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 18,158 Times in 8,974 Posts

I don't think he has done that great a job, but who runs against him will be the determining factor for me.

If the Republicans keep letting the Tea Party and Sarah Palin be the most vocal part of the party they have about a 0% chance of winning back the presidency.

And there is about a 0% chance I'll vote for Mitt Romney.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Boxer 9901 View Post
    Personally, I think I will vote for him again. People tend to overlook the good he has done and would rather focus on the things he hasnt done. For example...

The BP oil spill.

When all of that shit went down, Obama and his administration were reacting within days of the spill and they made sure that BP took full responsibility for the spill. They made sure that those affected by the spill were compensated by BP and he made sure that the oil got cleaned up as quickly as possible.

Rewind to a couple of years ago with Hurricane Katrina...

Hurricane Katrina hits New Orleans and it takes WEEKS if not at least a month for the Bush administration to react and respond. They even had the nerve and audacity to hold a fake FEMA press conference to make it seem that they were actually doing something when in reality they werent doing anything at all. Im sure that anyone here on the boards from New Orleans will agree with me on that one.

And here is another irony I just stumbled upon...

Bush invades Iraq for no god dammed reason and sends thousands of our troops to die just to topple a dictator. He is praised for it.

Obama along with NATO sends over Air Support only for the people and rebels of Libya and he is ridiculed because his administration is doing "too much". He has already made it very clear that there will be no US troops on the ground in libya.

Obama wants to invest in renewable energy such as solar, nuclear, wind and electric power that will NEVER run out. It seems congress is fighting him on this at every turn.

Bush wanted more off-shore drilling of oil that WILL eventually run out. Everyone thinks its a great idea.

Obama's administration bails out banks and GM. Not his most popular move but if his administration didnt act, thousands upon thousands of more people would be without jobs right now.

Bush's holy war was the direct/indirect cause of the financial crisis to begin with

Yeah...I will definitely be voting for obama again. Thats a promise.
    You are absolutely wrong on the oil spill deal. I live down here and can tell you he and his people were way late, just like Bush during katrina. There are some people down here who are still in a bad situation because of the spill. Also, certian people were helped while others ignored. Politics.

Look, if you wish to vote for him, please do so. But don't kid yourself into thinking he is any different from any other dirty politician. Tough situation when the choices are always so poor.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:23 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I don't think he has done that great a job, but who runs against him will be the determining factor for me.

If the Republicans keep letting the Tea Party and Sarah Palin be the most vocal part of the party they have about a 0% chance of winning back the presidency.

And there is about a 0% chance I'll vote for Mitt Romney.
    If your second two sentences pan out I think I will be sitting out the next presidential election. In the past few presidential elections I ended up voting against who I didn't want to get in office, and I'm not going to vote in that manner again. So in the last one I voted for Obama even though I was not really fully behind him. I did it to vote against the McCain/Palin ticket. Despite a few misgivings over Iraq, etc. I would have voted for McCain if not for Palin. Given McCain's age I just could not imagine Palin becoming president if he had debilitating health issues or passed away. While entertaining on a certain level, Palin and her family are a walking Jerry Springer show and she couldn't even finish her term in Alaska due to all of the controversy.

Now with Obama, he is a very eloquent and educated speaker (as long as he has access to his beloved teleprompter) and is able to get people fired up about things and behind him. He is able to give those booming speeches like MLK. I realize that certain things can't change overnight, but I notice we're still in Afghanistan (I think we just lost a few more troops to an IED) and Iraq. We do not understand these people or their culture, and they will also never like us or trust us no matter what infrastructure improvement we ram down their throats (schools, roads, hospitals, etc. that *should* be being built here in the states). We're also still running that damn prison camp at Gitmo on the eastern end of Cuba. Rather than shutting that place down as he said he would I noticed they said they had resumed trials there again. Yes, he said the action in Libya would be limited but we're attacking many additional ground targets on our own instead of simply enforcing a no fly zone. Last I heard the tally for this military action was up to $600 million and no doubt it will easily pass $1 billion. Gadhafi still has the advantage over the rebels on the ground and it will most likely either end up a stalemate or his forces will overcome them and retake the cities. Now we're talking about arming the rebels... oy vey. In the other middle eastern countries where we are friends with the ruling dictators and/or monarchs we turn a blind eye to those rebels trying to overthrow their governments, even if it would be a good thing in some cases.

Bank bailout, don't even get me started... Rather than change course he just continued with the plan Bush had begun. He could have perhaps bailed out the people to a certain degree rather than the banks. Let the people pay off mortgages, credit cards, purchase cars, appliances, etc. to restart the economy from the ground up. They handed out all of those billions of dollars to the banks with almost no controls in place to ensure that the money was used responsibly. Fast forward several years and I don't think I've heard that it is any easier for people to get loans or mortgages, properties are still being foreclosed on before people can access the government programs that were supposed to prevent this, etc. The banks on the other hand shored up their bottom lines and repaid the government as soon as possible to get them off their backs asap even though there was very little oversight.

With BP yes the administration did get involved pretty quickly when compared to Katrina. However they also gave approved to BP to dump tons and tons of dispersants into the ocean. This stuff was designed and previously approved to be used when cleaning up rocky shorelines and such. Sure a lot of the surface oil was picked up but do we think the rest of it just disappeared? The dispersants bound with the oil and took it down to the ocean floor so it could no longer be seen floating on the top.

So yes, beginning now Obama can be focused on raising a billion dollars for his reelection campaign rather than worrying about the country. And as one of the other posters commented, that may be a good thing.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:49 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

He didn't change the system fundamentally, because it's set up as something impossible to change. Lobbyists give to both sides to make sure nothing will change. However in his second term he might be less dependent on getting re-elected. He might also know how to deal with Congress better.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

not sure how a preventable accident (the BP oil spill) can be compared to a natuaral disaster (Katrina).

And yes, people were behind the Iraq invasion at the start, but how many of those people still are? Are we supposed to have not learned anything in the past 10 years and still just go over to those mid-east hellholes all gung ho? I hope not!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:52 AM
    Liked 4,807 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    not sure how a preventable accident (the BP oil spill) can be compared to a natuaral disaster (Katrina).

And yes, people were behind the Iraq invasion at the start, but how many of those people still are? Are we supposed to have not learned anything in the past 10 years and still just go over to those mid-east hellholes all gung ho? I hope not!
    If you have entered into any of the political threads you will find a few common scapegoats

1. It is Bush's fault
    2. The Republicans(or Democrats) did it previously so it's ok for <insert current Democrat or Republican> to do it now

That is what's wrong with politics today. Hell I was in support of the Iraq war and today can admit that Bush and his admin fucked up. I am big enough to say that. I used to support gun control in the 90's and have fire arms in my house today. I used to abhor the idea of gay marriage and am for gay rights today. It's ok not to fall in line with the litmus test of both parties. You can and should be critical of the shitty job Obama is doing. How many people today can honestly say they are better off today than when he took office? Sure some can but unemployment is still above 9% and in my state above 10%. I have not had a raise in two years. Fuel prices are up along with inflation. I don't see an improvement.

Sure somebody else may and have a right to say they have. Good for them. I bet if there was a poll on whether what people know now if they would rather have Hillary in office, she would win by a healthy margin.

Anyway the guy doesn't deserve a 2nd term. I hope he does something to piss off the Clintons so Hillary pulls a Ted Kennedy a la 1980 and runs against him.

Our country deserves better than Jimmy Carter The Sequel. Hell put Biden in there cause at least the guy has a set of balls.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

**Golf Clap**

Change? YES!!!!

HH<-----if looks like Jimmy Carter, smells like Jimmy Carter, acts like Jimmy Carter, more than likey it's Obama!----------------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:36 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Halen View Post
    **Golf Clap**

Change? YES!!!!

HH<-----if looks like Jimmy Carter, smells like Jimmy Carter, acts like Jimmy Carter, more than likey it's Obama!----------------------
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.