Register
Save
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

01.08.19 @ 08:26 PM
    Liked 1,391 Times in 814 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LAD-1972 View Post
    I know I’m in the minority stating this but the one thing that I could never get past about the Frankenstrat is that ED painted a raw Ash body - with lacquer spray paint - and it has remained "semi-flat" for 30+ years.

I'm looking at the photos of the "Real" Frankenstrat held by SD and the one on the table and I don't see the sunken end grain with black paint or any small black pore tracks in the exposed wood. Also, if Ed used rubbing compound wouldn't that be in the black stripe area as well unless it flat from the start.

I agree that the body is uneven but I think it's purely due to the layers of paint. Either Ed had some help or knowledge about preparing that body prior to painting or it was already sealed OR maybe a different body altogether.
    My guess is it had a shot coat of sealer. I used to buy a lot of bodies back in the day, some from Warmoth, Performance guitar, etc. Even quite a few no name brand bodies from Tom lee in Vancouver, and not one of them came without at least some form of sealer weather it be shellac or more often an alkyd base to protect the finish sanded body from moisture absorption. It's usually done within hours of final sanding in higher production shops.
    Alkyd sealers can be almost undetectable, looking like their just well sanded bare wood.
    Now as far as grain filling, that's another issue all together. Ash is a bugger because of it's deep open grain, so he probably did just paint it over the sealer, which would result in less grain sinking, but my no means eliminate it entirely, so you will still see grain.

Good Enough
    Last Online

08.21.19 @ 08:44 AM
    Liked 1,151 Times in 418 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    My guess is it had a shot coat of sealer. I used to buy a lot of bodies back in the day, some from Warmoth, Performance guitar, etc. Even quite a few no name brand bodies from Tom lee in Vancouver, and not one of them came without at least some form of sealer weather it be shellac or more often an alkyd base to protect the finish sanded body from moisture absorption. It's usually done within hours of final sanding in higher production shops.
    It’s definitely a possibility. For me, it's hard to tell looking at low resolution photos that were scanned from magazines. I think some of the "grain" pattern visible in the older photos online may actually be remnants of a moiré pattern created by a scanner - like the example below. I'm not saying that there isn't any grain in the original, I just don't see the open pore grain typical found in a RAW ash body painted B W & R.

Eruption
    Last Online

06.09.19 @ 11:59 AM
    Liked 114 Times in 72 Posts

Lou, these are not exactly high resolution LOL!, but you can see some grain pattern...

WGAF?!!

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    Lou, these are not exactly high resolution LOL!, but you can see some grain pattern...

Jimi, I agree. I do believe the grain or some of it is visible but what I don't see are the open pores or deep grain that you would normally find when painting a RAW Ash body. I think this pic is from a GW pullout - hardly high res either - and you can see the fine line detail in the white knob. I don't see open pores or grain lines in the white. I know this is pointless but it always bugged me. Do I leave grain show or fill it up? Anyway, nice job Jimi sharing your collective Frankenstrat history - Thanks!

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by LAD-1972 View Post
    JI know this is pointless but it always bugged me. Do I leave grain show or fill it up?
    The answer is: you do both. It looks like Ed did make an attempt at filling the grain (he would have had the benefit of Wayne Charvel's advice and experience at this juncture) on the front and back when he first painted black and white, but it looks like he really wasn't too concerned about the sides... typical Ed!
    WGAF?!!

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    The answer is: you do both. It looks like Ed did make an attempt at filling the grain (he would have had the benefit of Wayne Charvel's advice and experience at this juncture) on the front and back when he first painted black and white, but it looks like he really wasn't too concerned about the sides... typical Ed!
    Filling the grain almost seems non EDthical - HA! Definitely had a pragmatic approach to all his guitar builds!

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

08.19.19 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

Good lord, I didn't even see this thread and I've been past the guitar room the last four days. Fantastic!!

I love the mystery and intrigue surrounding this guitar. Specifically the jokingly referred to "second shooter" theory surround the other three guitars... Rosewood strat, Black Strat and the "unfinished" Strat. The thing is EVH made so many changes to this single guitar, where does the "true franky" begin and end?

There's only been one constant thing about this guitar - the body, and that it's always had a humbucker. Everything else is different. Different necks, different bridges, different PUP's (but always humbucker), different everything.
    Last edited by ignorance_is_bliss; 04.03.11 at 06:45 PM.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This thread and the Bumblebee thread have been great. I don't wanna sound ungrateful, but any chance your getting around to the other guitars? Eagerly awaiting.
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Red43j View Post
    This thread and the Bumblebee thread have been great. I don't wanna sound ungrateful, but any chance your getting around to the other guitars? Eagerly awaiting.
    I'll put an "EVH Rude" or "Unchained" thread together shortly...
    WGAF?!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II, 5150, and ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Atomic Punk, Secrets, 5150, CT
    Last Online

07.29.19 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

I've been lurking here for a few years but never posted, but after reading this and the Charvel VH II thread, Jimi, and watching the VH Early Days DVD I just had to post and tell you that this thread is amazing stuff! Awesome work. I can't wait to see your threads on the Shark and Star guitars at some point!

Last Online

05.04.19 @ 12:52 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

VHND just posted an interview with Ed talking about Frank 1 & 2. Can anyone explain this?
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.

Last Online

10.09.15 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Frank 1 is THE frank
    Frank 2 is the fender replica.

"out of the seven threads he's started here, four have been closed for being cluelessly ponderous as well as outright insipid"
    -chefcraig on me

Last Online

05.04.19 @ 12:52 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

Well that's sad cause the replica can suck it. The people here make much nicer replicas than that abomination...
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.

On Fire
    Last Online

10.04.16 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

great read here!

On Fire
    Last Online

10.04.16 @ 09:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I forgot to ask does anyone know the neck profile on the lynn neck?
    was it the charvel san dimas shape? charvel stated that the famous san dimas neck was shaped after VH's preference? a thinner than usual(front to back) C shape with a wide nut size? I love the san dimas necks!