Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Save
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    On Fire
    Last Online

01.15.13 @ 11:11 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd say they deserve it! Here is my post that originated it...

Quote Originally Posted by Musgo
    I've been trying, like everyone here, to gather as much info as possible in orer to accomplish a Franky as close as humanly possible to the original. And, like some, I can't get good enough pics. So, I turn to the replicas. As far as we know, Chip and his team had the real deal on their hands. So, they must have seen what we may never see. And, even though the replicas have some excusable mistakes, like ours also have, there seems to be something that's keeping me puzzled. Take a look at this.

This is the real Franky, as we all know.

This one is a replica, an acceptable one. Now, let's look closer.

This is the back of the real Franky's headstock. It's quite blured, but you can see the shape of the tuners...

This is the back of that replica. You can clearly see the Schaller M6 Mini... which are NOT the same as the ones in the real deal. First I thought that maybe that picture of the real Franky is quite old and MAYBE Ed changed the tuners to Schallers... but if that was the case... the replicas should have displayed an extra hole...

...HERE!

So, my guess is... if those tuners on the original Franky are Schaller, they are NOT M6 Minis as in the replicas.
    Please understand that this replica was from the early advertisements...
    Then, came an answer...
    Quote Originally Posted by jimi22812
    Sergio, this picture of the Franky...

...was taken in 1997. The tuners are Gotoh "crown heads". The Schaller M6 minis were put on later (maybe even years later).
    I have a higher resolution picture that clearly shows all of the holes in the back of the headstock! I'll post it as soon as I can. :wink:

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And then... the investigation developed...
    Quote Originally Posted by jimi22812
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Anyone else re-watched the vid with Chip Ellis and Ed talking about the replicas, and have an opinion as to whether these are the same tuners still on there or not?

(... I truly believe they are still on there - really looks like it in that video, too... and I don't think he was actively moving parts around on instruments much by the time that neck made its way back on there again...)
    I tell ya, Steve, the poor resolution, bad lighting conditions and the shaky "combat camera" approach to the filming make it very challenging to definitely identify the shape of the tuners on the real "Franky", but if you carefully examine the frames starting at 1:50 through 2:00 (like the "Warren Commision" examining the Zapruder film), it looks very much like they are M6 minis! :shock:
    Let me know what you think...

Why and when would Ed have switched the tuners?, who knows?... even the Japanese investigators who delved into this deeply disturbing mystery had no definite answer for this complete, utter and total madness!!!

One thing is certain, though, he did it once before!- when that neck was on the "Rasta" and on the "Franky" during the "Diver Down" Tour it had Schallers...

...of course it was this "two screw" version...

Compare it with the M6 mini...

..and lastly, compare the M6 mini with the Gotoh "Crown head"...

So, what have we learned? Well, nothing conclusive that's for sure!... just yet another "EVH mystery" to contemplate in the spare time of our sad, sinister, little pathetic lives... :lol:

I didn't pay that much attention to the interview video, but I thought that Franky wasn't there at any time. All replicas. I'll have to watch it again, in a better resolution.
    Chip is holding the real Franky in the video...

...Ed is holding the " This is The SHIT" Replica pictured here...

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

And the investigation ensued...
    Ok, fellas, here's what I got... the best I could do for the time being, at least. I'm confused. Now, these suckers seem like Gotohs! AAARRGGHH! I hate this guitar!

So, what conclusions did we arrive to?

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The answer presented itself days ago, courtesy of Santa Claus, also know as... SEYMOUR DUNCAN!!!

Look at his face. It seems he is saying "those ain't Schallers"...

Oh and that is the real deal.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.13.12 @ 04:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nhotas View Post
    Not quite that, Ed is a hack, plain and simple. He takes credit for inventing and messing, not lutherie work. He messes with things and forces them (deforms them) to work to his will. He is the reason why the Floyd Rose is so spread, he pushed the boundaries of high gain back in the day, he tried and tested several ways to make things work. But he was no luthier, by any means!
    Not trying to be argumentative as your point is well taken but what did he really invent? F. Rose invented the locking tremolo and the original non-locking trems were certainly not Ed. Seth Lover invented the humbucker. Ed was certainly not the first person to turn a Marshall up to 10. The guys at Boogie did the cascading preamp. Tapping? That was done before as well. Did he take advantage of these things to do what he did? Certainly and he made them more wide spread in the guitar world to be sure but he did not invent them.

Frankie is a unique beast. I really would like to hear it in person straight into the amp just to see how much is guitar and how much is amp/mixing desk

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
    Not trying to be argumentative as your point is well taken but what did he really invent?
    D-Tuna. Probably the D2H.
    F. Rose invented the locking tremolo and the original non-locking trems were certainly not Ed.
    Actually, I believe Ed had quite input in the evolution of the Floyd Rose. Remember, back in those days, only three of them were made. Ed had one of them. If you had created such a device, wouldn’t you listen to what the greatest guitar player of that time would have to say?

Seth Lover invented the humbucker.
    Yes, and Gilmour placed a PAF in his black strat long before Ed.
    Ed was certainly not the first person to turn a Marshall up to 10.
    True, at least Eric Clapton did that on the Bluesbreakers’ Beano album, I believe.
    The guys at Boogie did the cascading preamp.
    Don’t know, but will take your word for it.
    Tapping? That was done before as well.
    True, at least some guy in blues and even Jimmy Page did that.
    Did he take advantage of these things to do what he did? Certainly and he made them more wide spread in the guitar world to be sure but he did not invent them.
    Ah, now we are getting somewhere. Invention is not only applied to the physical realm. You can “invent” techniques. And Ed was a master of tricks, a true explorer. But maybe he didn’t invent things per se. Maybe he was not the first guy to out a humbucker in hot wax. Maybe he was not the first guy to have a pickup rewind to give more gain. Maybe he wasn’t the first guy to mess with it in order to increase its harmonic range. An explorer, like I said. Maybe not an inventor, but he pushed things further. A lot. Certainly things would get where they are (today?) but it would take a bit more time, I believe. He inspired a whole generation, he set a mark there and then and guitar playing was never the same. As Zakk Wylde said "at that point, Ed said 'Ok you all suck and I'm the greatest'".
    Frankie is a unique beast. I really would like to hear it in person straight into the amp just to see how much is guitar and how much is amp/mixing desk
    I personally believe that Franky is a normal guitar, with increased harmonic range, due to its “different” pickup, which can squeal a lot. It should have low gain, though, almost weak. It wouldn’t be the easiest guitar to play (in 1978 certainly wasn’t, with its high action and the high e string falling off the fretboard). This is my personal assessment. Most of what we know are from testimonies, like the way Ed set up its action and the way he set up his Floyd. But, for now, it’s all we have.
    Last edited by nhotas; 03.31.11 at 05:13 AM.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

D-Tuna. Probably the D2H.

Well I will give the benefit of the doubt that he did these solo but on the other hand who is using it? Have not even seen EVH use them.

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

. As Zakk Wylde said "at that point, Ed said 'Ok you all suck and I'm the greatest'".
    Which is where it started to fall apart for EVH

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I will give the benefit of the doubt that he did these solo but on the other hand who is using it? Have not even seen EVH use them.
    Well, if it wasn't used, it wouldn'be sold, right? If you mean big name artists, well, in the studio there is no need. And live, theses days, with all the endorsments game, an artist must change his guitar at least five times, so why bother have a guitar with that, right? No, I think the D-Tuna is very well conceived, I don't use it, but I guess if you change from drop-D to regular tuning often, that is an asset. That makes incomparably faster changing the tuning on a Floyd equipped guitar.

Which is where it started to fall apart for EVH
    It started to fell apart for EVH in 1978? Remember, that was a joke that ZW said about Ed, regarding VHI... back then, the worls changed. I know of people who, at the time, reconsidered their whole musical approach and started packing away "old" records. That was literally a revolution!

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It started to fell apart for EVH in 1978? Remember, that was a joke that ZW said about Ed, regarding VHI... back then, the worls changed. I know of people who, at the time, reconsidered their whole musical approach and started packing away "old" records. That was literally a revolution!
    When he started believing he was "the man" is when it started to fall apart. when that was is debatable I suppose

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When he started believing he was "the man" is when it started to fall apart. when that was is debatable I suppose
    You make it sound as if it started going bad and then it went downhill continusously. Except that his 2007 (I think) tour was the most lucrative ever, for VH. And, his business is going great, he regained sobriety... things are looking very weel for him.

Still, this is not to be discussed here, let's not ruin a great, informative thread, maybe we should make a new one to discuss such things.

Good Enough
    Last Online

10.15.19 @ 11:05 AM
    Liked 1,256 Times in 475 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smithtone View Post
    Thanks Jimi - always a great read when you post. And keep us updated re: those two Strats. I really think you're onto something there!
    I know Iím in the minority stating this but the one thing that I could never get past about the Frankenstrat is that ED painted a raw Ash body - with lacquer spray paint - and it has remained "semi-flat" for 30+ years.

I'm looking at the photos of the "Real" Frankenstrat held by SD and the one on the table and I don't see the sunken end grain with black paint or any small black pore tracks in the exposed wood. Also, if Ed used rubbing compound wouldn't that be in the black stripe area as well unless it flat from the start.

I agree that the body is uneven but I think it's purely due to the layers of paint. Either Ed had some help or knowledge about preparing that body prior to painting or it was already sealed OR maybe a different body altogether.

Eruption
    Last Online

06.09.19 @ 11:59 AM
    Liked 114 Times in 72 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LAD-1972 View Post
    I'm looking at the photos of the "Real" Frankenstrat held by SD and the one on the table and I don't see the sunken end grain with black paint or any small black pore tracks in the exposed wood. Also, if Ed used rubbing compound wouldn't that be in the black stripe area as well unless it flat from the start.
    Lou, I have some pictures where you can see the grain pattern, particularly in the black stripes. I'll post them later.
    WGAF?!!

Eruption
    Last Online

06.09.19 @ 11:59 AM
    Liked 114 Times in 72 Posts

Still, this is not to be discussed here, let's not ruin a great, informative thread, maybe we should make a new one to discuss such things.
    No question. Thanks, Sergio.
    WGAF?!!

Last Online

04.03.19 @ 04:33 PM
    Liked 187 Times in 59 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    I don't know what kind of humbucker it was...

... but I doubt it was taken from the Shark.

I plan on putting a Charvel VH II (I refuse to call it the "Bumble Bee" LOL!)thread together very shortly. Many of your questions will be answered there!
    Cool, looking forward to that! My two favorite classic era VH guitars.
    You know we all called it the VH2 guitar too until coming on the net and seeing so many people calling it bumblebee. I prefer Charvel/VH2 as well. lol

Now allegedly some of the non trem tunes on VH1 etc like You Really Got Me were recorded on the Destroyer... and on the shark the neck pickup is replaced it seems..so it's just a guess that the frank housed it for a while. No real info to back up my guess. Curious though. Made a franky as a kid and that era with the cream pickup was the one I dug so I'm sentimentally curious. Would be a crazy coincidence cause back then I hadn't a clue but had a Ibanez artist that had the same type pickups as his destroyer had..though I had no clue at the time...I put it in the franky cause it was a humbucker and cream..No clue he even used anything but his franky to record any VH then..would be wild to turn out it was actually the same pickup. lol Just curious either way.

Awesome thread.