Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

04.28.16 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Default Wage & Labor board

Has anyone ever had to deal with the wage and labor board? I just switched jobs recently and I'm having a hardtime getting my last paycheck from my previous employer, who said they would forward it to my house. It's been a week since checks went out and I haven't seen it. I've called the place numberous times to speak with the manager and he is either busy or not in and won't return my phone calls. Even stopped up there today and he wasn't in and couldn't find anyone who knew anything about it. I know laws vary from state to state, but they pretty much have to give you your paycheck within 72 hours of your leaving or on the day the checks are cut. So was just curious if anyone had ever had to deal with the W&L board. I'm calling Human Resources tomorrow, but I get the feeling I'll get the "we mailed it out to your house, or its your managers responsibility to mail it out" crap. Either way, I think its back to direct deposit for me.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Never had to deal with a wage and labor board, but the last place my wife worked at close to 6 years ago tried to jerk her around with her last paycheck. It was a smallish electrical supply and repair company and she did various accounting tasks in the office. She was pregnant with our daughter and they fired her on her last day there before going on maternity leave. We pretty much knew it was coming so it wasn't a surprise. I checked all of this out at the time and they had under 50 employees so they didn't have to follow all of the laws like FMLA. I could have still gone after them but chose not to since they could have played the game and offered her a job again after a 12 week LOA and I didn't want her anywhere near the place. We decided she wouldn't return to work so she could be more involved with raising the kids, etc. and my daughter will soon be 6 and my wife is still a stay at home mom (although she's usually out spending my money... LOL).

Anyway, they wanted her to sign some kind of release form and return her employee handbook before giving her the last paycheck. I googled the laws in PA and they have to give you the paycheck with no conditions attached. I sent a somewhat nasty e-mail to the office manager and the check was mailed out that day. She never did return any of their crap they wanted back. You should ask the HR department to look into it asap, put a stop payment on the original check if you haven't received it yet, and have them cut another check and mail it to you (or hold it for pickup). Yeah, I've been doing direct deposit for at least 15 years now and that's the way to go.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

04.28.16 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I got it taken care of. Showed up ten minutes before the manager did the other day and told him, that he needed to give me my check or provide proof that it had been mailed out or I was going to call Human Resources, followed by the Wage and Labor board. Well needless to say he ponied it up right then and there with nothing but a barrage of apologies about not sending it out or calling me to let me know I could come get it. It was quite comical but I'm glad I got it taken care of without having to go any further or involve a lawyer. I hate lawyers, no offense to any of you that may be a lawyer. Its more the profession than the person.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Way to go, and you know if you wouldn't have gone there they would have kept BS'ing you about it for another few weeks. I'm 100% with you on your lawyer statement as well. And yes, it's the profession itself and not anyone in particular. Gotta love those class action lawsuits where the law firm makes millions and each person on board with the suit gets a check for $10. That being said, hopefully none of us ever gets into a situation where we need an excellent lawyer, but if we do then hopefully we can hook up with the right one to save our butts in this overly litigious society that we live in.