Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Default Stock Strat Wiring

Hey all.
    Last night at rehearsal, I was playing my old 1973 Strat, and when I flicked the switch from the bridge to the neck pup, it broke. The center pin I guess finally gave up the ghost. Anyway, I had bought a Switchcraft switch sometime ago as a spare because I had been meaning to replace it anyway because it was getting pretty scratchy.
    Well, when I opened up the guitar, I discovered someone had already replaced the switch at some point with a cheapo sealed one. Hmmmmmm.
    all the connections are in one row as opposed to staggered like a regular vintage switch.
    Soooo.....downloaded a wiring diagram from StewMac, and wired it up. Pretty straight forward...or so I thought. Only the neck pickup works now!!!
    So my question, does anyone have or know of an accurate wiring diagram?
    The switch I got was a Dimarzio (Actually Switchcraft) and the stagger is the opposite of the Fender. I tried the obvious ,and reversed the order, but then I had the same thing, but then only the bridge P/U worked. I'm wondering if it's just a defective switch, but I wanted to check with you dudes first.
    Thanks.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    ahhhhh....See? That's why you're a mod!
    I shoulda checked the SD site. It crossed my mind last night too, but I went to Dimarzio and Stewmac instead. I think I just had this version switch. Loooks slightly different, and the commons are also reversed.
    I'll give it a try.

Much thanks!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Hey!
    Thanks Andrew! Just wanted to let you know the diagram helped a lot. Funny though, the neck and bridge pickup still ended up being reversed, so the tones work for the wrong pickups, and the levers backwards! Haha. so I guess it's the way the switch is clocked to the lugs I just picked a vintage switch, and didn't consider that there are actually a couple different types. No big deal, I'll just switch the two leads tonight, but hey......At least it's working and I'm getting power to everything.
    Thanks again.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Hey!
    Thanks Andrew! Just wanted to let you know the diagram helped a lot. Funny though, the neck and bridge pickup still ended up being reversed, so the tones work for the wrong pickups, and the levers backwards! Haha. so I guess it's the way the switch is clocked to the lugs I just picked a vintage switch, and didn't consider that there are actually a couple different types. No big deal, I'll just switch the two leads tonight, but hey......At least it's working and I'm getting power to everything.
    Thanks again.
    The SD site is my go-to for diagrams.

Usually, if you just examine those switches closely enough, you can see exactly what is making contact, so you can make some sense out of what pickup(s) is on or off and connect them correctly.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    The SD site is my go-to for diagrams.

Usually, if you just examine those switches closely enough, you can see exactly what is making contact, so you can make some sense out of what pickup(s) is on or off and connect them correctly.
    yeah, that's right. I was looking at it, and the outside of the switch made total sense, but the backside, the main contact is quite hidden, so I couldn't tell very well. I've wired in old style Fender switches before, and didn't even need a diagram, this one just threw me off. Had an extra tab, and apparently that one had to be left disconnected for the stock Fender wiring.
    Thanks again though man!
    Should be good to go tonight.
    J