Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 6,851 Times in 3,588 Posts

Premium Member

Default RIP Elizabeth Taylor

My Mom really loved this lady, and if she was still alive she would be devastated by the news of Liz's passing... this ones for you Mom.

Los Angeles (CNN) -- Elizabeth Taylor, the legendary actress famed for her beauty, her jet-set lifestyle, her charitable endeavors and her many marriages, has died, her publicist told CNN Wednesday. She was 79.

Taylor died "peacefully today in Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles," said a statement from her publicist. She was hospitalized six weeks ago with congestive heart failure, "a condition with which she had struggled for many years. Though she had recently suffered a number of complications, her condition had stabilized and it was hoped that she would be able to return home. Sadly, this was not to be."

Though a two-time Oscar winner -- for "Butterfield 8" (1960) and "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" (1966) -- Taylor was more celebrated for simply being Elizabeth Taylor: sexy, glamorous, tempestuous, fragile, always trailing courtiers, media and fans. She wasn't above playing to that image -- she had a fragrance called "White Diamonds" -- or mocking it.

"I am a very committed wife," she once said. "And I should be committed too -- for being married so many times."
    1997: Elizabeth Taylor remembered

She was hailed, in her prime, as the world's most beautiful and desirable woman. Her affair with actor Richard Burton, which began on the set of the film "Cleopatra," fueled a paparazzi rush unrivaled in its time. The two later married -- twice -- providing gossip columns and movie magazines with a wealth of material.

But Taylor could also be an effective and arresting actress. Her harrowing performance in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" (1966), opposite Burton, showed her as shrewish, plain, embittered -- the complete opposite of her real-life image.

She also gave sharp performances in "Giant" (1956), "Raintree County" (1957), "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" (1958) -- three films that helped build her reputation as a worldwide sex symbol -- "The Sandpiper" (1965) and "Reflections in a Golden Eye" (1967).

Taylor was a champion for a number of charitable causes, notably the fight against AIDS. She founded the Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Foundation after the death of her friend Rock Hudson, and plowed both her time and money into its work, especially as her acting career waned in the 1980s. The BBC once noted that her charity work had grossed as much as her film career.

Acting and romance

Elizabeth Rosemond Taylor was born February 27, 1932, in London, the daughter of two wealthy American art dealers, Francis and Sara Taylor. Her mother was a former actress who had given up the career when she married, but encouraged her daughter in the pursuit. Indeed, Elizabeth Taylor and her mother were to remain extremely close until the latter's death in 1994, at age 99.

Just after World War II began, her parents moved back to the United States and settled in Los Angeles, where Francis Taylor catered to a high-level clientele. Young Elizabeth was noted early on for her looks: According to one perhaps apocryphal story, she was spotted by a talent scout who suggested her for Bonnie Blue Butler in "Gone With the Wind," but the idea was reportedly shot down by her father.

Nevertheless, she eventually made her debut for Universal, which placed her in 1942's "There's One Born Every Minute." Taylor was then signed by MGM, which was to be her home for almost two decades, and made "Lassie Come Home," opposite Roddy McDowall. The actor became a devoted friend.

But it was Taylor's next film, 1944's "National Velvet," that made her a star. The story of a girl in love with her horse earned her public adulation -- and her equine co-star, The Pie. (Her other co-star, Mickey Rooney, was taken.) For the rest of the 1940s, she was an MGM regular, some of her films winners -- the 1949 version of "Little Women" -- and others, quickly forgotten, such as "Julia Misbehaves."

In 1950, Taylor turned 18 and had her first hit as an adult, the classic "Father of the Bride," in which she played Spencer Tracy's soon-to-be-married daughter. Real life mirrored art when Taylor decided to marry hotel heir Conrad "Nicky" Hilton Jr., but the marriage wasn't nearly as successful as the film: it lasted just eight months.

Critical acclaim arrived with Taylor's next film, "A Place in the Sun," based on the Theodore Dreiser novel "An American Tragedy." Taylor played the beautiful woman pursued by Montgomery Clift, who kills his pregnant girlfriend (Shelley Winters) while boating. The film received nine Academy Award nominations, but Taylor was shut out.

It wasn't until 1958 that Taylor received her first Oscar nomination, for 1957's "Raintree County." By then, she was an even bigger star than before, and known as much for her off-screen romances as her on-screen talent.

She married actor Michael Wilding -- 20 years her senior -- in 1952, a marriage that lasted five years and produced two children, and then Hollywood producer Mike Todd a week after her divorce from Wilding. And after some sluggish work in the early '50s, she was appearing in some renowned films, notably 1956's "Giant" opposite James Dean and Rock Hudson. Todd suggested her for the role of Maggie the Cat in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" (1958), and Taylor steamed up the screen, spending a good part of the movie slinking around in a slip.

Todd died in a plane crash in March 1958. Upon his death, Taylor was comforted by Todd's best friend, actor and singer Eddie Fisher. The comforting turned into an affair, complete with bold headlines, which broke apart Fisher's marriage to "America's sweetheart," actress Debbie Reynolds. Taylor was now "the other woman," scorned as a homewrecker -- and, based on box office returns, more popular than ever.

Fisher and Taylor married in 1959 and appeared opposite each other in the next year's "BUtterfield 8," with Taylor cast as a sexually carnivorous party girl. Though she disliked the film, her performance -- and a sudden case of pneumonia that threatened her life -- invited the sympathy of the Motion Picture Academy, and she finally won an Oscar. "I lost to a tracheotomy," fellow nominee Shirley MacLaine quipped.
    Last edited by Number 47; 03.23.11 at 06:53 AM.

Last Online

Premium Member

Liz 'n' Dick

In 1960, now perhaps the most famous actress in the world, Taylor was offered the lead in 20th Century Fox's production of "Cleopatra." Taylor demanded $1 million -- the highest fee demanded by an actress up to that time. Producer Walter Wanger agreed, and the adventure of "Cleopatra" -- which would consume the showbiz world in ways unknown in the early '60s -- began. (Fisher's ex-wife, Reynolds, would become the second woman to make $1 million for a picture.)

The movie seemed gripped by a curse. Taylor's illnesses -- there were more than one -- caused delays, forced casting changes and prompting the production to move from London to Rome. The original director, old Hollywood hand Rouben Mamoulian, was forced out and replaced by Joseph Mankiewicz ("All About Eve"). Weather wiped out days of filming and labor unrest undid more, pushing the budget, which was originally about $5 million, to $44 million -- almost $300 million in 2010 dollars, more than "Avatar."

And then there was one of the new actors, Richard Burton, who was cast as Marc Antony when Stephen Boyd had to leave the production.

Burton, who was already known as much for his philandering ways as his Shakespearean expertise, had initially thought little of Taylor beyond her beauty. But he was quickly smitten: "He tried to end it, but he kept turning around and coming back to her," Mankiewicz's son Tom told Taylor biographer William J. Mann. "He just couldn't help himself. He couldn't get enough of her."

The two were inseparable -- and very publicly so. Pictures of the couple finally prompted Burton's long-suffering wife, Sybil -- who had attempted suicide -- to file for divorce. Gossip columnist Hedda Hopper, both friend and foe to Taylor over the years, called her "sick." The Vatican released a message directed at her, saying she was guilty of "erotic vagrancy." A U.S. congresswoman even introduced a bill banning Taylor and Burton -- or "Liz 'n' Dick," as they were becoming known -- from the United States. In response, Taylor asserted, "I will never go back to America."

But America couldn't get enough of "Le Scandale." "Cleopatra" actually did well at the box office -- though not well enough to immediately escape its red ink: it took three years for 20th Century Fox to make its money back, and Taylor and Burton were now the "It" couple of the moment.

The two married in 1964, their every move a headline. Burton bought Taylor jewels, furs, baubles. The two caused near-riots when they appeared in public. Burton's tour of "Hamlet" sold out and their movies together -- "The V.I.P.s," "The Sandpiper," even the grim, groundbreaking "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" -- were hits, the latter also nominated for 10 Oscars. Taylor received a best actress trophy for her performance as the tempestuous Martha; Burton was nominated for his performance as the emasculated George.

Eventually, however, the moviegoing public tired of the double act. Taylor and Burton made four more films together -- "The Taming of the Shrew," "Doctor Faustus," "The Comedians" and the appropriately titled bomb "Boom!" -- but none had the success of their earlier work. At the same time, a new generation was latching on to a younger group of stars; Taylor, though still in her 30s, seemed part of another time.

Woman of charity

The actress' career continued to languish as she entered her 40s. Such films as "The Only Game in Town," "X, Y and Zee" and "Ash Wednesday" did nothing for her reputation. Her marriage to Burton also faltered; the two divorced in 1974, and though they remarried the next year, the second attempt ended nine months later.

Indeed, Taylor was starting to become a figure of mockery. During a fund-raising dinner for her sixth husband, U.S. Senator John Warner, R-Virginia, Taylor choked on a chicken bone. The incident, including a bulked-up Taylor, was viciously parodied on "Saturday Night Live," with John Belushi playing Taylor.

But the glamour of being Elizabeth Taylor never faded. She was a "guest" at the much-watched Luke-Laura "General Hospital" wedding in 1983 and launched several perfume lines, starting with Passion later in the decade.

Most notably, however, she devoted herself to charity. In 1985, she organized a benefit dinner to raise money for her friend Rock Hudson, who was dying of AIDS. The project eventually led to the American Foundation for AIDS Research (amFAR); in 1991, she began the Elizabeth Taylor HIV/AIDS Foundation.

Taylor did a handful of parts in the '90s and '00s -- most notably a 1992 spot on "The Simpsons" in which her voice spoke Maggie Simpson's first word -- but generally devoted herself to social and charitable causes. She married one more time in 1991, to a construction worker named Larry Fortensky, and defended her friend, pop king Michael Jackson. She had more health woes: a trip to the Betty Ford Clinic in the late '80s -- where she met Fortensky -- as well as a brain tumor and severe back problems. The latter put her in a wheelchair.

But through all of it -- the gossip, the ailments, the loves and losses -- she remained indomitable. She even joined Twitter to send regular updates on her life.

Why not? She was born to the spotlight, and no amount of tittle-tattle was going to take it away.

"Some audience out there, and don't ask me who they are, but there are millions, like scandal. They like filth," she told CNN's Larry King in 2006. "And if they want to hear that I'm dead, sorry, folks, I'm not. And I don't plan on it."

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

RIP
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Stunningly beautiful. Fiercely talented. Bat shit crazy.

In many ways, she was the perfect woman.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

Damn that's sad. I love her in the movie Giant with James Dean. My grandma is the same age as her. I watched Cat On A Tin Roof about a month ago for the first time.
    Last edited by YankeeRose; 03.23.11 at 08:40 AM.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:32 AM
    Liked 1,484 Times in 905 Posts

R.I.P.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:45 AM
    Liked 2,239 Times in 1,357 Posts

one of the last of the old time " Great Broads" RIP

l

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

RIP Liz
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:38 PM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    Stunningly beautiful. Fiercely talented. Bat shit crazy.

In many ways, she was the perfect woman.
    Nice Graeme, Nicely stated!

RIP Liz!

HH<--------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeRose View Post
    Damn that's sad. I love her in the movie Giant with James Dean. My grandma is the same age as her. I watched Cat On A Tin Roof about a month ago for the first time.
    I was just thinking earlier that I have never seen a one of her movies. I think it's time I enjoy one of her classics.

RIP...
    Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Favorite VH Album

VH 1 & 2
    Favorite VH Song

way too many.....
    Last Online

10.06.13 @ 04:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A truly great "movie star", and a beautiful woman. Not to mention, talented and giving. We won't see another like her anytime soon. RIP, Elizabeth.

"All right, Wolf, which one do you want?"
    -DLR, 05/15/08, BALTIMORE, to me and my best friend

But one night's all we're given,
    So, baby, leave me alone, or, baby, stay the night

The Van Halen I grew up on showed up at the party, drank all your alcohol and fucked your girlfriend. The Sammy era seemed more like spending a Saturday night alone with your girlfriend telling her how much you love her. - Sickman, summing it all up for me!

Good Enough Tropical Storm Tracey's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Do I really have to pick???
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

11.18.17 @ 07:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts

Premium Member

One of my all time faves. Just a stunningly beautiful woman with a huge heart. Raintree County is one of my absolute favorite movies. Still looking for it on DVD and have been for years.

RIP Beautiful Soul

TST<---------------------

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

They're at it again!

(CBS) - The friends and family at Elizabeth Taylor's funeral will apparently be joined by the serial funeral protesters of the Westboro Baptist Church.
    Yes, the Westboro Baptist Church - the Kansas-based organization with a history of holding controversial and politically inflammatory protests - has announced that its members plan to picket the star's funeral, according to reports.

TMZ reports that Margie Phelps, daughter of Westboro leader Fred Phelps, sounded off on Twitter Wednesday about the planned protest:

"RIP Elizabeth Taylor is in hell as sure as you're reading this & getting mad as a wet hen. She should've obeyed God. Too late!"

Taylor was known for using her star power for humanitarian work, in particular, helping victims of AIDS. That has, apparently, made her funeral a target for the media-baiters at Westboro Baptist and their sometimes inexplicable and usually repugnant signage. The Academy Award-winning actress died yesterday morning

after a long battle with congestive heart failure. She was 79. A statement released by the family says that a private funeral will be held later this week.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...#ixzz1HXPJ523m
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Last Online

Premium Member

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

RIP
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.