Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Default A Big Thanks To The Links!!!

Hey all.
    I just wanted to give a huge thanks for all the advice regarding my 5150.
    Saturday night was our first gig since I retubed it, and the experience was awesome!
    Seriously...for the past while if I showed up with it, the guy running the house board would give me all kinds of shit about how hard it was to mix.
    I took a lot of the advice on here and ditched my old Ruby's for some JJ's. Looked at some of MRJ's posts about speakers, and went with some cool old Celestions I picked up on CL....a bit of a gamble, but they sound great in the 5150 cab. Took Tommywho's advice and DIDN'T go with a colder bias and let it run hotter. All I can say is WOW! Gave a lot more enjoyment to my playing.
    The sound was phenomenal, the PA guy was happy, The band was happy, and the crowd was happy. All very good.
    BTW...Brett, did you get your 5150 problem sorted out?
    Now the next thing I gotta do is get my hands on my own Cantrell sig. Wah (Which I borrowed for the gig....Absolutely kills my Hendrix Wah!!!)
    Thanks a lot again guys!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Hey all.
    I just wanted to give a huge thanks for all the advice regarding my 5150.
    Saturday night was our first gig since I retubed it, and the experience was awesome!
    Seriously...for the past while if I showed up with it, the guy running the house board would give me all kinds of shit about how hard it was to mix.
    I took a lot of the advice on here and ditched my old Ruby's for some JJ's. Looked at some of MRJ's posts about speakers, and went with some cool old Celestions I picked up on CL....a bit of a gamble, but they sound great in the 5150 cab. Took Tommywho's advice and DIDN'T go with a colder bias and let it run hotter. All I can say is WOW! Gave a lot more enjoyment to my playing.
    The sound was phenomenal, the PA guy was happy, The band was happy, and the crowd was happy. All very good.
    BTW...Brett, did you get your 5150 problem sorted out?
    Now the next thing I gotta do is get my hands on my own Cantrell sig. Wah (Which I borrowed for the gig....Absolutely kills my Hendrix Wah!!!)
    Thanks a lot again guys!
    you're welcome buddy, glad you're happy with any advice i gave you, nice to know it works for other people and not just me.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:06 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

Cool man, great story.

Umm...I don't know what's up with my amp. After I got back from Cabo and we took a week off I went to practice, and for the first 30 minutes, it didn't make a peep. Then after like 30 minutes, the buzz came back, didn't seem quite as bad. But it was fucking dead quiet for 30 minutes...and at one point it was always like that when I had my noise gate on.

Last night, buzzing the whole time, not intolerable but definitely there. I don't even know now if it's just normal buzzing, but it seems way too loud still. So I don't even know anymore. At some point I'll probably just take it in.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Yeah...it was a good deal. It sounds like a whole new amp now. I'm still using the wacked preamp tube setup. Seems to work pretty well. it's got a JJ 12ay7 in one of the positions, a JJ12ax7s in the first position and the rest are old Nos phillips, and it's real quiet compared to the recommended Chinese tubes with plenty of gain; probably from the Phillips tubes in there.
    Don't know what to say about the noise in your amp Brett. I remember having a similar problem years ago, but it was in the FX loop circuit somewhere. it wouldn't show up all the time, but when it got more frequent, sometimes I'd hit the footswitch and there'd be this load pop, or the sound would kind of crap out...like a loose connection or something. When I took it in, the guy said he cleaned it up, and couldn't get it to do the same thing. He did say that these amps are prone to dust issues because some of the components aren't sealed very well.
    This time when I put tubes in, I noticed the chassis was getting fairly dusty, so I opened it up. There were cobwebs in it! lol. I blasted it all with an airduster just for a bit of cheap insurance, and used an old 12ax7 and 6L6 tube sprayed with contact cleaner on all the sockets.
    Might just be something simple like that.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

if it starts after about 30mins my thoughts are that it's a heat issue, somethings getting hot and having an effect somewhere.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!