On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.04.17 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts

Car shopping - rate these cars

I've been car shopping for a car with good gas mileage, but large enough to seat 4 people for the best price.

I've narrowed it to 2009 or 2010 models - no hybrids(too expensive)

Here is my top 5 (alphabetical order) which I'd like you to rate, but feel free to suggest anything. Thanks!

Chevy Cruze
    Ford Focus
    Honda Civic
    Hyundai Elantra
    Toyota Corolla
    Better use it up before it gets old!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog5 View Post
    I've been car shopping for a car with good gas mileage, but large enough to seat 4 people for the best price.

I've narrowed it to 2009 or 2010 models - no hybrids(too expensive)

Here is my top 5 (alphabetical order) which I'd like you to rate, but feel free to suggest anything. Thanks!

Chevy Cruze
    Ford Focus
    Honda Civic
    Hyundai Elantra
    Toyota Corolla
    avoid the Focus, my wife has one and they are bland, dreary miserable boxes on wheels, i refuse to drive the bloody thing, i won't even put fuel in it for her, they're that bad.! The Civic is a great car, not sure if the U.S. version has different suspension but the U.K. model is pretty stiffly sprung, not sure if you'd be comfortable enough coz i know you Yanks like a soft ride..lol
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Run far, far away from a Ford Focus. I've driven a few as rentals for a day or two and I thought were crap. I really think you'd regret buying one.

Out of the list you gave I'd go with the Honda Civic hands down. Honda is f'n awesome. I've been driving Honda's for over 15 years and have nothing but great things to say about them. Had a Civic in the early/mid 90's that I loved, bought my wife a CRV that she drove problem free for many years, and I'm currently at 8 years/225,000 miles on my Accord and it runs as well as it did at 20,000 miles. Barely any repair work all these years other than expected maintenance.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:43 AM
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

I drive a civic, my wife drove one until the twins and now has an Odyssey, my mother drives a civic. sister has a CRV. The next problem we have with Honda will be the first. They make great cars. I had to sell my 2000 civic (since we had two of them and my wife's has fewer kms on it) and I wanted to cry as that car has never given me one second of trouble in the 11 years i had it.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:07 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

I would at least take a look at the 2012 Focus, just released. It is an all new car based on the European Focus, never before appearing in the US, and Motor Trend loves it. It is totally different from Focuses of the past. Supposed to be more powerful, handles like a euro car, lots of options, etc.

Hondas are great, no doubt. You'll never go wrong with a Honda.

The new Elantra has great styling, and a long warranty. I've not driven one, but they have come a long way since their cheap beginnings.

The Cruze - looks good, but is rated behind the Focus in terms of standard options, performance, etc...

Corolla - reliable, but bland.

Have you considered a Mazda 3? They are great cars, highly recommended by Motor Trend also.

Good Luck!

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:24 PM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Honda.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

04.27.16 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

For the love of god, don't get a Toyota. I'm constantly having to take my Corolla in for recalls, and the sound system doesn't even work anymore. But I once had a Honda and it was a wonderful car!
    ***OFFCIAL TLW 8 VIRGIN/SURVIVOR!***

"Mean ass calendar!"-TST

"GYPSY DILDO PUNKS!"-Harry Dean Stanton

I'm Polish but I don't speak any of the language or know anything about it's culture other than getting mowed down by Hitler...-fast98dodge

My head is freshly shaven and I have cleaned the house before my departure-Viking preparing for TLW

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Don't overlook the Hyundai. They make outstanding cars now. I have an 06 Tucson with 130k and it has never given me even a hint of a problem. Drives and runs like new, just do your regular service. Hondas are great too, Hyundais are more reasonably priced. The new Elantra is a terrific looking vehicle, make sure you go take one for a spin. I would also look at the Subaru Impreza, they make really good vehicles with all wheel drive if you live in a climate where that would benefit you.

Favorite VH Album

All 14 of 'em (best ofs too)
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    Don't overlook the Hyundai.
    Agreed. Rented a '06 Sonata out in Vegas several years ago. I had so much fun with that little car.
    Oh, and definately stay away from the Focus.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by 5150; 03.20.11 at 12:14 PM.
    "I didn't just drive a thousand goddamn miles on a motorcycle to watch some little girl prance around on stage" - Steve Morrison on if Justin Bieber performed at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

-"I'd rather stick my junk into a freshly-slapped hornet's nest." LLFHS on banging Lindsay Lohan

Poster formerly known as Fiftyoneftfty

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Rokgtar View Post
    I would at least take a look at the 2012 Focus, just released. It is an all new car based on the European Focus, never before appearing in the US, and Motor Trend loves it. It is totally different from Focuses of the past. Supposed to be more powerful, handles like a euro car, lots of options, etc.

Hondas are great, no doubt. You'll never go wrong with a Honda.

The new Elantra has great styling, and a long warranty. I've not driven one, but they have come a long way since their cheap beginnings.

The Cruze - looks good, but is rated behind the Focus in terms of standard options, performance, etc...

Corolla - reliable, but bland.

Have you considered a Mazda 3? They are great cars, highly recommended by Motor Trend also.

Good Luck!
    mate, believe me, the Euro versions of the Focus are awful, truly dreadful, i have driven pretty much all the new models and all the old models (my brother works for a Ford dealership), the only models to go for are: the very 1st (Mk1) Focus 2.0l, handled great and was pretty quick, but then they messed with it and added different rear suspension and traction control that can't be completely turned off and ruined it! or the very latest ST models, but they're pricey and 300bhp through the front wheels is too much if you don't like torque steer!. go for the Honda every time
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:59 PM
    Liked 797 Times in 382 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    Don't overlook the Hyundai. They make outstanding cars now.
    Yeah, my folks have had their Sonata for about 10 years now. They drive that car all around the country and it still rides and looks like brand new. Thing never breaks down and it's got zip. Hyundai's are good cars. Less expensive than the comparable Honda too I'd imagine.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:31 AM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

Honda for sure. Will run forever, just change the oil. Great cars. We had my wife's Accord for 13 years (it was actually 17 years old when we got rid of it), and I drove that fucker into the ground. 200,000 miles and going strong, but I decided to get rid of it when I wasn't driving 80 miles round trip to work anymore, and worked closer to home. I would have destroyed my Mustang GT doing that drive to it everyday. That Accord was the shit.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

I was new car shopping in december and looked long and hard at the Sonata and Elantra.....test drove both and came very lose to buying one or the other....they both are really good cars and you can't beat the warranty they are currently offering......You can't go wrong with Hondas.....and someone mentioned Mazda which you should consider, personally I didn't like the styling of them, but they are great cars, the wife has a Mazda5 and she swears by it.....never liked the Focus or the Cruze......

In the end I bought a 2010 Volvo s40.....and so far I love it....not the zippiest of coupes, but it looks great, I know that I'll have it forever with very little issues......

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLassy View Post
    For the love of god, don't get a Toyota. I'm constantly having to take my Corolla in for recalls, and the sound system doesn't even work anymore. But I once had a Honda and it was a wonderful car!
    No kidding??? You must have a curse on you or something, kiddo. I've owned 2 Corollas in my life and just bought a 2010 back in June, and you cannot kill these cars. The earlier models were decent with the fuel economy but this new one I have sips gas as if it were at a wine-tasting. I've driven two Corollas and three Tacomas since 1990. None of them have given me any major headaches. Toyotas in general are put together great and as long as you have a regular oil change and aren't driving the thing like a monkey with a head wound, you pretty much have a car for life unless you get bored like I do every few years and need a change.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,340 Times in 3,185 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Buy a Honda. I've owned 5 and I own 2 now. A 2008 accord coupe v6 6 speed and a 2005 accord coupe v6 6 speed. A honda saved my life so for that I'm totally loyal. Never had an issue that wasn't my fault with them.