Page 1 of 53 12341151 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

Default Sammy: "The Brothers turned on Mike around F.U.C.K." (Book Spoilers)

From the 03.18 interview with The Bone. That's a question we've been wondering about here for a while. Sammy said around that time Mike started to have less of a vote in the decision process.

He also said that Mike was the richest guy in the band coz he saved every penny he ever made, versus Alex who had to file for bankruptcy!
    Little Dreamer

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

I recall hearing a phone interview with Ed from around the time of Diver Down. I'm not sure how the topic even came up but Ed was complaining about Mike spending money to fix up his house. I'm sure these guys were making decent money by Diver Down regardless of how bad their contract was, so Mike isn't supposed to fix up his house?

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:56 AM
    Liked 1,461 Times in 897 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    From the 03.18 interview with The Bone. That's a question we've been wondering about here for a while. Sammy said around that time Mike started to have less of a vote in the decision process.

He also said that Mike was the richest guy in the band coz he saved every penny he ever made, versus Alex who had to file for bankruptcy!
    Still can't understand why Mike was treated that way. Probably never will either.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Last Online

12.07.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 160 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Still can't understand why Mike was treated that way. Probably never will either.
    Hmm. Mike didn't write any of the songs.....If they replaced Mike, albums sales and tours would not lose a cent. NOBODY went to tours just for Mike. It was for DLR and Ed, Sammy and Ed, or just Ed. Even now the last tour sold out with Wolfgang.

There is only so much a guy can take. I'm with Ed on this one. If it lasted until 4UCK I actually have to hand it to Ed for being that kind for so long.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.
    Right here I say....

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

pretty much all of them
    Last Online

04.02.13 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We're talking about a band with a couple of guys with known histories of substance abuse and heavy drinking and several stints with rehab.

Of course they will get upset when they start noticing the other guy(s) in the band have a little more in their pocket after they drink and snort it all away regardless of how many sold out tours, album sales, and endorsements they have.
    What do you mean i dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 280 Times in 134 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by right-here-i-say View Post
    It was for DLR and Ed, Sammy and Ed, or just Ed.
    Oooooorrrrr... the sum of all parts known as Van Halen.
    There is only so much a guy can take. I'm with Ed on this one. If it lasted until 4UCK I actually have to hand it to Ed for being that kind for so long.

So much a guy can take?... What was so God awful about Mike Anthony?...
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 02:18 AM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

The resentment towards Mike started a long time before FUCK. Eddie tried to replace him in the very early 80's with guys like Jeff Berlin and Billy Sheehan. I remember an interview from that time where Eddie was complaining that Mike didn't write any music and contributed no ideas at all, but just bought a brand new Porsche. I can understand Eddie's frustration with having to be the guy who comes up with everything, and I can understand him wanting more from Mike, especially if the shares were an equal 25% when Dave was in the band. With Mike being the most reponsible with his money, he would have been filthy rich by the time 1984 came out, so that probably would have burned Eddie's ass even more...but Mike didn't deserve to be treated so poorly by Ed, it could have been handled a lot differently.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:07 AM
    Liked 6,813 Times in 3,562 Posts

Premium Member

Not this discussion again! I'm sure this will end well. Think there's a Bone interview thread going already anyway.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:56 AM
    Liked 1,025 Times in 500 Posts

I don't understand. Ed never has been one to just jam with others spontaneously, and when he does, it's pretty predictable playing. However, when he is writing the songs, he is in control, it's his style, and he puts out a fantastic product.

That being said, why would he want someone to come in and add to the songwriting process, like a Jeff Berlin or a Billy Sheehan? Ed is insular with his ideas, and the basslines for most songs are not that difficult, so why? Even if he thought he'd like to have someone else adding ideas, he is not the type of player/writer who needs someone playing all over the place under him. He needs a bedrock. Mike was the bedrock. A professional star bassist would likely become stifled and frustrated with the limitations of playing what Ed wanted them to play. Each player mentioned apparently had the opportunity but turned it down. Why would they do that unless they had a gut feeling or even had some knowledge first hand about how things worked in the band?

I still think that for many, many of the songs, especially in the later years with Mike, Ed played bass. No knock against Mike, he's a great player, but Ed likely said "I know what I want, I'll just do it myself". Then, for live practice, in prep for a tour, Mike would learn the parts.

Thats my thought, and until I'm proven otherwise, that is what I'll believe. Ed had the best bass player for his band - one who did not get in the way of his creativity, one who did not act like an asshole, one who was good wih the fans, one with a great distinctive voice, and one who was for the group all the way - Michael Anthony. Being jealous because Mike handled his money better than he or others did is not the criteria a sane reasonable person would make in keeping someone on board. It's jealousy, pure and simple.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    The resentment towards Mike started a long time before FUCK. Eddie tried to replace him in the very early 80's with guys like Jeff Berlin and Billy Sheehan. I remember an interview from that time where Eddie was complaining that Mike didn't write any music and contributed no ideas at all,
    Exactly -- and Ed realized MA must be adding *something* to the band or he would have been gone long before 1991. Mike WAS contributing to the VH sound and the formula worked.

No - MA didn't write any music... but would Ed have let him any way? Would any other bass player that came in suddenly open this treasure trove of ideas that Ed would sign off on?

Very doubtful. Not if EVH is the control freak we've all heard. And adding his son to the band reinforces that belief. Ed wanted someone he can control when it come to... well, everything. And now he has that.

Favorite VH Album

All (Yes, even "VH 3").
    Favorite VH Song

All (except "How Many Say I")
    Last Online

08.31.17 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spanked55 View Post
    Exactly -- and Ed realized MA must be adding *something* to the band or he would have been gone long before 1991. Mike WAS contributing to the VH sound and the formula worked.

No - MA didn't write any music... but would Ed have let him any way? Would any other bass player that came in suddenly open this treasure trove of ideas that Ed would sign off on?

Very doubtful. Not if EVH is the control freak we've all heard. And adding his son to the band reinforces that belief. Ed wanted someone he can control when it come to... well, everything. And now he has that.
    I don't think most bass players are the main song writing contributors in most bands with the exception of Nikki Sixx, who writes all of Motley's stuff. I never understood the whole equal breakdown of percentages within a band. I know its supposed to be everyone bringing something to the table but if the singer and guitar player are the ones creating most of the framework of the songs they should get paid more since the pressure is them to deliver the goods.

If this was the basis of EVH's disdain for Mike the arguement doesn't work because, how much has Al really contributed to the process? Probably as much as Mike.

There has to more to all of this between MA and The Brothers than meets the eye. We may never know the whole story, whatever....It is what is...We are two months into the recroding process, when is the CD coming out?
    "Question is,not does love exist,but when,she leaves,where she goes. I got a feeling she don't know either. Wait like the wind,watch where she blows..."

Good Enough
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by atomicpunk5150 View Post

If this was the basis of EVH's disdain for Mike the arguement doesn't work because, how much has Al really contributed to the process? Probably as much as Mike.

There has to more to all of this between MA and The Brothers than meets the eye.
    ^This.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Well, you could be onto something there, hombre.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

So Ed the control freak is mad at Mike for not contributing. Makes sense.

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rokgtar View Post
    I don't understand. Ed never has been one to just jam with others spontaneously, and when he does, it's pretty predictable playing. However, when he is writing the songs, he is in control, it's his style, and he puts out a fantastic product.

That being said, why would he want someone to come in and add to the songwriting process, like a Jeff Berlin or a Billy Sheehan? Ed is insular with his ideas, and the basslines for most songs are not that difficult, so why? Even if he thought he'd like to have someone else adding ideas, he is not the type of player/writer who needs someone playing all over the place under him. He needs a bedrock. Mike was the bedrock. A professional star bassist would likely become stifled and frustrated with the limitations of playing what Ed wanted them to play. Each player mentioned apparently had the opportunity but turned it down. Why would they do that unless they had a gut feeling or even had some knowledge first hand about how things worked in the band?

I still think that for many, many of the songs, especially in the later years with Mike, Ed played bass. No knock against Mike, he's a great player, but Ed likely said "I know what I want, I'll just do it myself". Then, for live practice, in prep for a tour, Mike would learn the parts.

Thats my thought, and until I'm proven otherwise, that is what I'll believe. Ed had the best bass player for his band - one who did not get in the way of his creativity, one who did not act like an asshole, one who was good wih the fans, one with a great distinctive voice, and one who was for the group all the way - Michael Anthony. Being jealous because Mike handled his money better than he or others did is not the criteria a sane reasonable person would make in keeping someone on board. It's jealousy, pure and simple.

you pretty much nailed it