Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.17.00
    Posts
    1,710
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

    Default Chad Smith sat in with the Allman Brothers last night

    For those not familiar with the Allman Brothers Band NYC Beacon Theater tradition, every year in mid March the band plays a series of concerts at the famous Beacon Theater in New York City. The number of shows varies from year to year, but it's usually at least 10- 12 shows over the course of about two and half weeks. They've been doing this for many, many years. Also part of this tradition, is to have many guests from various genre's of music sit in throughout the "Beacon Run" as it's referred to by fans. People such as Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, Billy Gibbons, Levon Helms, Robbie Robertson, Susan Tedeschi, Cheryl Crow, Kid Rock, Little Milton, Jack Pearson, various members of Widespread Panic, Yorma Koukem, Kofi Burbride, Brad Whitford Jack Cassidy.....It's a very long list to say the least and the above examples are only a small sample. Anyway, Chad Smith sat in last night. I'm curious to hear how he sounded and fit in with the other two percussionists. Here's the set list from last night indicating which tunes he played drums on:

    Lots of guests tonight.

    3/17/11 Beacon Theatre, NYC

    Set 1
    You Don't Love Me
    Midnight Rider
    Who To Believe
    Woman Across The River
    Old Before My Time
    River's Gonna Rise
    Kind Of Bird
    Down Along The Cove - with Donald Fagen on piano, melodica and vocals
    Shakedown Street - with Donald Fagen piano & vocals and Lincoln Schleifer on bass

    Set 2
    Ain't Wastin' Time No More
    Statesboro Blues
    Desdemona
    Born Under A Bad Sign - with Chad Smith - drums, Bobby Allende - persussion, Brad Whitford - guitar
    The Same Thing - with Chad Smith - drums, Bobby Allende - percussion, Brad Whitford - guitar
    No One To Run With>
    Drums>
    No One To Run With
    Encore Break
    Southbound with Leo Nocentelli - guitar, Lincoln Schleifer - bass, Brad Whitford - guitar; No Derek Trucks
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk Raldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.11.00
    Location
    Cromwell, CT USA
    Posts
    17,189
    Favorite VH Song

    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 02:09 AM
    Likes
    1,829
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

    Default

    How many bands can he be in?

    Very cool that the Allman Brothers have special guests.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

    In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

    "High speed, low drag."

    "Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

    Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

    Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

    got tequila?

    http://keepitaliveforever.com

  3. #3
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.17.00
    Posts
    1,710
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    How many bands can he be in?

    Very cool that the Allman Brothers have special guests.
    Here's a review of the show by a dude who usually attends all the shows at every Beacon Run (lucky bastard) and writes a column for, I believe a paper in Buffalo.

    http://universalmusictribe.com/allma...acon_3_17_2011

    Regarding the ABB, they'll have guests at nearly every show they play (usually sit ins with band members of their opening acts or co-headlining acts whenever they tour), but with the Beacon Run, it's tradition to have many more than usual. If you check out Youtube, you'll find tons of clips from various Beacon shows over the years with some very cool sit-ins. Check Out Clapton from two year ago doing the classic ABB tune "In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed."





    You need to clip both links to watch the entire song.........Check it out, bloody good stuff! Three of Rock's greatest guitarist on one stage trading licks...
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

  4. #4
    Eruption Railrunner130's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.08.06
    Posts
    1,296
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 03:46 PM
    Likes
    205
    Liked 171 Times in 102 Posts

    Default

    I wasn't aware the Allman Brothers did this. Very cool.

  5. #5
    Eruption
    Join Date
    01.02.04
    Posts
    851
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 06:45 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chain View Post
    Here's a review of the show by a dude who usually attends all the shows at every Beacon Run (lucky bastard) and writes a column for, I believe a paper in Buffalo.

    http://universalmusictribe.com/allma...acon_3_17_2011

    Regarding the ABB, they'll have guests at nearly every show they play (usually sit ins with band members of their opening acts or co-headlining acts whenever they tour), but with the Beacon Run, it's tradition to have many more than usual. If you check out Youtube, you'll find tons of clips from various Beacon shows over the years with some very cool sit-ins. Check Out Clapton from two year ago doing the classic ABB tune "In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed."





    You need to clip both links to watch the entire song.........Check it out, bloody good stuff! Three of Rock's greatest guitarist on one stage trading licks...
    Freaking awesome. Seriously. The fact that all those guys are rocking so hard, so authentically still. Amazing.

    Many people say "it's all about the music" . . . but these guys live it.

    Just awesome.

    acs

  6. #6
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.17.00
    Posts
    1,710
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

    Default

    I suspect they'll be a few youtubes up soon of some of this years sit-ins.....I'm hoping Chad's appearance will eventually surface. From the review's on the ABB website of that night's show, Chad was a big hit. I was lucky enough to attend a Beacon show in 2007, and there were two guests that night, the saxophone player Ron Halloway, and long time Duane Allman friend, John Hammond. It was one of those life experiences you never forget. Great show with lots of celebs in the crowd as well. And if you don't know, the Beacon is a very intimate theater, which makes for a fantastic experience when you have one of music's legendary bands tearing it up for 3 and a half hours each night.
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

  7. #7
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.25.00
    Location
    Jupiter
    Posts
    1,348
    Last Online

    03.22.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 216 Times in 102 Posts

    Default

    The Allman Brothers suck.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk edwardv's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.13.01
    Age
    59
    Location
    hanover pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,034
    Favorite VH Album

    diver down
    Favorite VH Song

    drop dead legs
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 03:35 PM
    Likes
    4,482
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    The Allman Brothers band is a shell of its original self. Gone is Duane and Dickie but Greg being the medical miracle he is continues the tradition at the Beacon ,my hats go off to him as the show must go on. Hear that EVH?
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

  9. #9
    Eruption Railrunner130's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.08.06
    Posts
    1,296
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 03:46 PM
    Likes
    205
    Liked 171 Times in 102 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    Greg being the medical miracle he is continues the tradition at the Beacon, my hats go off to him as the show must go on.
    Despite what you think of the band, you've got to give them credit for continuing on.

  10. #10
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.17.00
    Posts
    1,710
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    The Allman Brothers band is a shell of its original self. Gone is Duane and Dickie but Greg being the medical miracle he is continues the tradition at the Beacon ,my hats go off to him as the show must go on. Hear that EVH?
    I would disagree to some extent. Oteil Burbridge, Warren Haynes, and Derek Trucks are certainly different from the original line up of Duane, Dickey, and Barry Oakley. However, the current line-up brings a fire to the band that is quite amazing. Some people share your opinion, no doubt. But I've seen several ABB line-ups since the early 1990's and have to say the current one is very close to the original. What is most sobering, however, is the reluctance of some of the original members to write and record new material. Speculation is that it's Butch Trucks who's most hesitant. It's believed that this is the reason Warren Haynes and Allen Woody formed Gov't Mule in late 1994 as they were itching to record new material and the rest of the band where a bit hesitant. So off they went as a side project which eventually led to both of them leaving the ABB permanently (until Warren returned after Allen Woody died) and bringing on 18 year old Derek Trucks and Oteil Burbridge. Anyway, if you haven't seen the current line-up, you really should as they're spectacular.
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

  11. #11
    Atomic Punk edwardv's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.13.01
    Age
    59
    Location
    hanover pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,034
    Favorite VH Album

    diver down
    Favorite VH Song

    drop dead legs
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 03:35 PM
    Likes
    4,482
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chain View Post
    I would disagree to some extent. Oteil Burbridge, Warren Haynes, and Derek Trucks are certainly different from the original line up of Duane, Dickey, and Barry Oakley. However, the current line-up brings a fire to the band that is quite amazing. Some people share your opinion, no doubt. But I've seen several ABB line-ups since the early 1990's and have to say the current one is very close to the original. What is most sobering, however, is the reluctance of some of the original members to write and record new material. Speculation is that it's Butch Trucks who's most hesitant. It's believed that this is the reason Warren Haynes and Allen Woody formed Gov't Mule in late 1994 as they were itching to record new material and the rest of the band where a bit hesitant. So off they went as a side project which eventually led to both of them leaving the ABB permanently (until Warren returned after Allen Woody died) and bringing on 18 year old Derek Trucks and Oteil Burbridge. Anyway, if you haven't seen the current line-up, you really should as they're spectacular.
    I like Derek Trucks and I did see them in about 05 or so. The first 3-4 songs were good and he did a good job on Statesborough Blues. Then they went into these extended jams with Greg having horns and saxaphones on stage from the opening band. I walked out.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

  12. #12
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    02.17.00
    Posts
    1,710
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

    Default

    "Then they went into these extended jams."

    Ah, don't take this the wrong way, but that's what the Allman Brothers do. They're a band that jams their songs and have since their inception in 1969. It's what made them famous and is why their "Live at the Fillmore East" album is considered to be one of the greatest live albums ever recorded. Because it is some incredible jamming and improvisation. And if you're not aware of that and have only seen one of their gigs with that one line-up, that sort of makes it difficult to give you any credibility when you make a statement such as "they're a shell of their original self." And I'm not saying that to be a prick, just an observation. To be fair, many long time ABB fans have the opinion that their numerous line-ups since the original have never been as good as that of Duane, Dickey, and Barry. But many will also say the current one is damn good and is very close in ability to the original. But music is subjective and not a competition.
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk edwardv's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.13.01
    Age
    59
    Location
    hanover pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,034
    Favorite VH Album

    diver down
    Favorite VH Song

    drop dead legs
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 03:35 PM
    Likes
    4,482
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I don't mind when a band jams THEIR songs in concert. But you had to be there to see this. I can't remember the name of the opening band( Was a long name,a goofy name) but they were kinda like Jimmy Buffet with a ska flare. Derek was playing with them for a few songs. Then when AB came on they did a few of their hits and the next thing I know half this opening band comes out and they go into Allman Bros on steel drums and Margaritaville with sax and trumpets. I paid to hear the hits so I split. And I was not the only one headed for the exits. Venue was Merriweather Post Pavillion in Maryland near DC.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. The Allman Brothers thread
    By I Coulda Hada VH in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 207
    Last Post: 12.11.17, 10:35 AM
  2. New Chad Smith Interview 12/06
    By Little Dreamer in forum Chickenfoot
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12.16.10, 08:02 PM
  3. satch on chad smith replacments
    By ED-A-HOLIC in forum Chickenfoot
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 11.08.10, 05:22 PM
  4. Chad Smith Interview
    By cav in forum Chickenfoot
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06.10.09, 09:32 PM
  5. Chad Smith
    By glockner99 in forum Chickenfoot
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 05.27.09, 06:38 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •