Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 550 Times in 382 Posts

Default As suspected, Right Here Right Now is not really live at all.

Just finished Sammy's new book and he states in the book that the brothers took the live tapes and went into the studio and basically re-recorded the whole thing.

I knew this all along when i heard Dreams, Love Walks In and some older songs that were not played on the FUCK tour, and they didnt sound anything like they did when they were played in 1986 - 1988 etc.

They all had EVH on guitar, programmed keyboards, Al's FUCK drum sound etc.

Pretty fucking sad.

Sammy even states he had to sit in a booth and rerecord the show's vocals as he watched the video.
    [B]
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

"ESQ: What are you going to do with all the material that you wrote with Sammy Hagar?

EVH: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. That's some great music. They're just on vacation, maybe. They're off to college and they're going their own way. Who knows?"

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Wow, how fast did you get through the entire book? You're right with "as suspected" since many people knew that those youtube vids of them jamming in the studio sounded just like the "live" tracks on that album. Of course many bands do this sort of thing, but as good as Van Halen was live you have to wonder why they thought it was necessary. Some touch-ups here and there are one thing but basically re-recording the entire show is ridiculous.

Perhaps this was the beginning of Ed's perfectionist phase, which has probably never ended. This is why I figured we would never get a live DVD of the last tour. Ed knows that all of these songs from basically every show are out there on youtube for the masses to scrutinize. He could never touch up everything the way he wants to as it would be immediately noticeable when compared to youtube clips.

I recall reading that the very obvious crowd noise in Frampton Comes Alive was actually from a Rolling Stones concert. I imagine the music was at least live from the actual show being recorded. I also believe that Kiss "found" some rare live songs in the vaults which ended up being studio songs with added crowd noise.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 18,126 Times in 8,952 Posts

I still don't understand to this day why they did that. Early 90's they were hitting on all cylinders live, not sure why in the hell they would touch up a thing!
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k.
    Favorite VH Song

cant get this stuff no more
    Last Online

02.02.14 @ 01:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what goes on in eds mind ill never figure out.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 05:23 PM
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

I remember Eddie saying that he and Alex wanted to produce the record themselves, but the recordings were so bad that they then brought in Andy Johns. Eddie stated that he couldn't make heads or tails of them and didn't know where to start. If the recordings were that bad and they had to put out the album...then maybe that is why the whole thing was rerecorded?

When Kiss released You Wanted the Best, You Got The Best in 1996, they said that the 4 unreleased songs were recorded in the 1970s, but there is no way that Peter Criss had a drum sound like that then.
    Van Halen shows attended:
    08/21/91, 06/29/93
    08/02/93, 04/22/95
    07/18/95, 05/17/98
    07/25/98, 07/02/04
    11/11/04, 10/10/07
    03/09/12, 03/30/12

David Lee Roth shows attended:
    07/24/91, 05/29/02 - opening night
    09/06/03

Sammy Hagar shows:
    07/19/97, 06/04/99
    01/05/01, 09/09/01
    05/29/02 - opening night
    07/23/03, 07/04/06

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Considering just dropping my copy in the trash when I get home. Jesus.

Curious to read about why Sam went along with this.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VH1988 View Post
    Sammy even states he had to sit in a booth and rerecord the show's vocals as he watched the video.

That a band of VH's caliber would do that is so damn pathetic. I'm speechless as to why they felt they had to do it this way.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fletch5150 View Post
    When Kiss released You Wanted the Best, You Got The Best in 1996, they said that the 4 unreleased songs were recorded in the 1970s, but there is no way that Peter Criss had a drum sound like that then.
    Yeah, that's the cd I have. I bought it before the first (?) reunion tour and we had 10th row center stage seats. I also recall people saying that Paul's voice on those unreleased songs didn't match with his voice from the 70's.

Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:10 PM
    Liked 550 Times in 382 Posts

Bands go in and fix some things here and there, they dont rerecord their songs and add crowd noise behind them and sell it as a live album.

Sammy basically says there isnt much of anything live on that record.

And when the hell did Van Halen ever play Wont Get Fooled Again on the 5150, OU812 and FUCK tours?

All studio.
    [B]
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

"ESQ: What are you going to do with all the material that you wrote with Sammy Hagar?

EVH: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. That's some great music. They're just on vacation, maybe. They're off to college and they're going their own way. Who knows?"

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fletch5150 View Post
    I remember Eddie saying that he and Alex wanted to produce the record themselves, but the recordings were so bad that they then brought in Andy Johns. Eddie stated that he couldn't make heads or tails of them and didn't know where to start. If the recordings were that bad and they had to put out the album...then maybe that is why the whole thing was rerecorded?

Yeah. it was pretty obvious to me when the songs they claimed were recorded back in 86 and so on had Ed's Ernie Ball neck pickup stamp all over them. There's no mistaking a neck pickup on a solo. As far as the recordings being bad , I can't speak for the OU812/Monsters Tour stuff, but the LWAN sound was killer, so I just don't get that. They should have just used some of the tunes they didn't use on that vid if they were concerned about repetition, like Dreams, Good Enough, or even the Addicted to Love thing they did.
    Live albums....there's countless huge selling "Live Albums" out there that were more studio then actually live. Usually it's because of one small element that things end up getting entirely redone. In the case of Frampton Comes Alive, it was the keyboard tracks getting lost along the way. A lot of that album remained live, but there was quite a bit of doctoring to make it work with the rerecorded keyboard tracks.

SRV's alive Alive was essentially a complete studio redo, again due to loss of keyboards, and dropouts on the tapes, was his least favorite album, and the stress and fatigue of countless hours in the studio attempting it to appear live throughout, he cited as the dawn of his cocaine addiction.

Even if it was redone in the studio, I just never liked the production, and I'm an Andy Johns fanboy! It was just so sonically over the top, it made it tough to listen to. The fake sizzley crowd noise, and mediocre performance on a lot of the tracks. Even the drum sound, though in another setting might sound cool, just didn't fit.
    IMO, they should have gone to the crew that did LWAN, at least for the vid. To me that was far more VH than that turd. I haven't even pulled that album out since 07'...maybe earlier...and I still have an absolutely pristine copy still of the VHS video!!! lol. Watched it maybe three times.

There is an interesting side note to the RHRN discs though....Not to start a whole "See??? they were trying to get rid of Sammy even back then!" thing, but a friend of mine pointed out that if you play the disc through Dolby Surround (not sure which format...play around with it. we discovered it by accident) Sammy's vocal tracks completely, disappear. No joke! There was some rumour that Sam and Andy actually did not get along so well during that period, so maybe it was a little mischief by Andy during the mastering phase. I wouldn't put it past him. He's quite a character! It was cool when I heard it. One Way To Rock sounded killer without vocals. Just dueling guitars.
    Last edited by we die young; 03.17.11 at 01:12 PM.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by adamvhcornell View Post
    what goes on in eds mind ill never figure out.
    There's not much LEFT in Ed's mind...that's the deal...(don't know whether I should laugh or cry for saying that...)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VH1988 View Post
    Bands go in and fix some things here and there, they dont rerecord their songs and add crowd noise behind them and sell it as a live album.

Sammy basically says there isnt much of anything live on that record.

And when the hell did Van Halen ever play Wont Get Fooled Again on the 5150, OU812 and FUCK tours?

All studio.
    They didn't even play ATBL on the FUCK. Supposedly they closed one show on the tour in Seattle with it (so I've heard) but I can guarantee that's not the source you're hearing on the album.

Listen to the versions from the 5150 and MOR/OU812 Tours...they played it very fast and almost abbreviated, kind of. I always liked the RHRN ATBL, even knowing it's a fake. It's a nice studio artifact with Sam I guess.

Would've been better if all the crowd banter and audience noise wasn't added in there.

The album is a piece of shit. And the FUCK Tour was very good. What a damn shame
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

05.09.15 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Did the book mention if the band changed clothes halfway through the rerecording of each song?

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gavs5150 View Post
    Did the book mention if the band changed clothes halfway through the rerecording of each song?
    Naaaaaahhhh....To describe it accurately, you'd have to flip pages back and forth too many times....Would make for a horribly confusing read trying to make sense of it all!
    Last edited by we die young; 03.17.11 at 01:31 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:07 AM
    Liked 1,967 Times in 1,366 Posts

Wow, welcome to 1993 with this breaking news. HELL we have had about 10 different threads on this topic alone at the vhlinks forums. We have been over this in detail soooo many times now.

+++

With that said......

YES 3 songs were total studio jobs. ATBL, WGFA and Love Walks in. Those weren't played on the FUCK tour. Especially not in May 1992 during the 2 night stand in Fresno, CA where they recorded the tracks for the RHRN cd/dvd.

The rest were "Polished" like Sammy mentioned. Resung vocals and some music fixes.

If you want to do the old compare and contrast, go find the "soundboard" bootleg cds from:

5/15/92 Fresno, CA Selland Arena
    5/16/92 Fresno, CA Selland Arena

They are Soundboard. Pretty common actually. It was even broadcast over the radio around August 1992.