Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Most of them!
    Last Online

09.16.16 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

Default Checked out the wolfgang special.............

............ I went into downtown Seattle the other day to buy a camera and I thought I would swing buy the Guitar Center for a few minutes. Anyway I saw they had 2 Specials in stock and checked them out. Overall the guitar is preety nice , but remember it should be at $1200 coming from Asia! The guitar probably costs about $ 250 to build. I picked up the sunburst one first and the frets were so bad I could not play it. This was not just a little fret sprout but flat out not filed enough at all. not even close. This seems to be a regular problem with these from what I have read.

Then came the black one, so I plug it in and I noticed the sound cutting in and out. The toggle was not working in the bridge position at all and the middle position was raspy sounding. Coming from someone who works on guitars from scratch nearly everyday this was ridiculous at that price, but I guess what is new. This tells me that these are going straight to GC and they are obviously not going to put any time into from there. Sad

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Wow! Complete opposite of my experience. My local store just started selling them in February, and they had 3 in stock when I went. The white/cream, a black one, and a tobacco burst.
    All played very well, and actually reminded me fondly of the original EBMM with that flat top. The sound was very good on all three, though I did notice a slight sharp edge of a fret on the bass side around at the 11th.
    Other than that, they functioned very well, and the neck feel is a little different from the standard, but hey...it is a different guitar.
    My only complaint really is the veneer top on the tobacco burst seemed a little cocked off center. it had that bookmatched center joint, but at the neck, it was like 3 degrees off....Maybe knitpicking, but that bugged me a little. Aside from that though, the hardware seemed very nice, and the actual paint looked very well done.
    My guess is that they may have a better standard of QC at my store compared to Guitar Center. Just the same though, it surprises me that they get away with such lack of attention to detail in what they sell, and still rake it in. So who's to blame. Them or the consumer?
    Obviously if people actually stuck to their guns and demand better service/product , Guitar Center would be retooled, or in foreclosure.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:35 AM
    Liked 460 Times in 200 Posts

as strict as Eddie is about his guitars I am surprised he is not having a fit and stopping production if this is going on. Oversees or USA.... they still have his name on them

Rob

Favorite VH Album

All of them. except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Six Pack
    Last Online

09.09.13 @ 02:35 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scottfletcher View Post
    ............ I went into downtown Seattle the other day to buy a camera and I thought I would swing buy the Guitar Center for a few minutes. Anyway I saw they had 2 Specials in stock and checked them out. Overall the guitar is preety nice , but remember it should be at $1200 coming from Asia! The guitar probably costs about $ 250 to build. I picked up the sunburst one first and the frets were so bad I could not play it. This was not just a little fret sprout but flat out not filed enough at all. not even close. This seems to be a regular problem with these from what I have read.

Then came the black one, so I plug it in and I noticed the sound cutting in and out. The toggle was not working in the bridge position at all and the middle position was raspy sounding. Coming from someone who works on guitars from scratch nearly everyday this was ridiculous at that price, but I guess what is new. This tells me that these are going straight to GC and they are obviously not going to put any time into from there. Sad
    I've started hearing that the first 1000 were made really well and that everything after is starting to not be made as well. I have a black one thats number 110, and it plays as well, if not better than any USA model Ive played.

But as you said, there have been stories of people playing absolute crap specials. Check out the Fender EVH Wolfgang fan page, and you'll see that there is a guy who had the same experience as you. Clearly something is not going well in the Japanese Factory right now...

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

I posted the same thing about a sunburst special i played at guitar center in phoenix, and everyone told me i was nuts, and it was the dry phoenix climate.
    Seattle aint Phoenix. I said it was bad quality control. Turns out i may be right.

Favorite VH Album

All of Them
    Last Online

02.22.14 @ 05:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by psrajam91 View Post
    I've started hearing that the first 1000 were made really well and that everything after is starting to not be made as well. I have a black one thats number 110, and it plays as well, if not better than any USA model Ive played.

But as you said, there have been stories of people playing absolute crap specials. Check out the Fender EVH Wolfgang fan page, and you'll see that there is a guy who had the same experience as you. Clearly something is not going well in the Japanese Factory right now...
    I bought one in December, how can you tell which number it is regarding production? Does the serial # tell you ??

Favorite VH Album

All of them. except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Six Pack
    Last Online

09.09.13 @ 02:35 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

For the serial number its: WG = Wolfgang, my serial was 100110J, so 10 is 2010 and 0110 the number and J = Japan.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I could see Fender showing Ed the first 1000, impressing him, and then letting it slide....

But if this is the case, Ed will probably (and rightfully so) flip his lid. Perhaps we'll see Ed with PRS or Ibanez by the end of the year?

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:18 AM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Perhaps we'll see Ed with PRS or Ibanez by the end of the year?
    Well, he'll need a company that can do both guitars and amps. Many people don't realize that Ibanez also does make tube amps. I can hear it already- "Ibanez GETS IT". The Wolfgang Standard will be made in Japan and the Special will be made in China (that should do wonders for quality, hehe). Chinese-made 5150 IV anyone? LOL

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    Well, he'll need a company that can do both guitars and amps. Many people don't realize that Ibanez also does make tube amps. I can hear it already- "Ibanez GETS IT". The Wolfgang Standard will be made in Japan and the Special will be made in China (that should do wonders for quality, hehe). Chinese-made 5150 IV anyone? LOL
    That's exactly what I was imagining! hahahahaha A wolfgang with a wizard thin neck, a less-than-1"-thick body, 24 frets, and shark tooth inlays baby!

Although I've already tried the 5150 4......

It's just like the other 5150's -- lots of gain, lots of harmonics, and it even comes with a wah pedal built right inside the amp! And the best part is, the wah can't be turned off or moved from one position, which is great because then you can't accidentally not "get" the right tone. That's why there's no knobs or controls either. It's freaking awesome.

I was a product tester because I "get it" too.... I'm really more like "a brother" though.....

Last edited by mrjstudios; 03.08.11 at 11:06 PM.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie's Littler Monster View Post
    I posted the same thing about a sunburst special i played at guitar center in phoenix, and everyone told me i was nuts, and it was the dry phoenix climate.
    Seattle aint Phoenix. I said it was bad quality control. Turns out i may be right.
    Haha! No one would say you were nuts, but honestly, climatic changes are a big issue with offshore guitars, particularly so with something along the Wolfgang's line with a thin or no modern standard sealing method on the neck. If a neck is built off shore and poly'd, not a big deal. I have some, and they're fine many years later. A neck with an oil finish, or a at the very least a thin coat of sealer, built in a very humid climate, and shipped overseas......problems can arise.
    Not really surprising. Now the ones I saw.....that store has climate control, so that could be a factor as to why the frets were overall good. Buy it, take it out of the store and a month or two later....they could very well have the same problem. Not worth the $1.300.00 Can. to risk.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:18 AM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Although I've already tried the 5150 4......

It's just like the other 5150's -- lots of gain, lots of harmonics, and it even comes with a wah pedal built right inside the amp! And the best part is, the wah can't be turned off or moved from one position, which is great because then you can't accidentally not "get" the right tone. That's why there's no knobs or controls either. It's freaking awesome.
    Damn, you mean I could have that partially cocked wah nasal tone right out of the box without having to tape down the pedal on my wah?

In all seriousness though, if we can even say that at this point, those other two boxes are combos that you converted to heads, right? I seem to recall that for some reason.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by scottfletcher View Post

Hell, I looked at a Sunburst Wolf Standard here in Houston that was pretty uninspiring. I would not pay $1200.00 for it. I can only imaging how bad the specials can be.

I'm sure there are some stunning examples out there that some people have bought and that's great, but for the money these things are priced at, there should be absolutely no stories like this.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

10.29.13 @ 08:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Specials

I bought all 3 colors. Then sold all 3 colors. Neck shrinkage was the #1 issue with all 3.

Either I am getting old, or guitar buying is not as fun anymore. Seems like the quality is just not there. I remember in the 80's when you walked in a music store and you could pick up a guitar and it played well. New guitars these days are not even setup. All 3 specials required at least 30 minutes of tweeking to get them going.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Tell me about it! Quality control these days just sucks! Overseas models, US models......Seems like I'm always having to do something major. Now that said, they often play just great in the stores I frequent, but within a month or so, things start going off. I bought a Fender Jazz bass a few months ago, and ended up returning it. The neck started to bow bad. Took it in each time because of the waranty. They'd adjust it. Few days later it came back. Tried lighter strings, virtually no difference. Last time I brought it in, they said no more adjustment on the rod!!!!! They were good about it, and credited me the full amount on something else, so I got a nice Geddy Lee model for an additional 300 bucks. No problem yet ...Knock on wood, but it gets a bit unnerving. I swear that any further purchases are just gonna be vintage gear either on CL or through pawnshops.
    I'm tired of getting burned. It's like you say man....There's not as much fun in it anymore. The past number of guitars or gear purchases have been like waiting for a bomb to go off. You don't know when it's gonna happen but when it does it ruins your whole day!