Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.02.06
    Age
    45
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,527
    Favorite VH Album

    5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

    5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

    11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Likes
    8
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

    Default Ted Templeman was involved with "OU812"..

    ......Heres something i've never realised until reading VH's "Bam" interview in 1988. Eddie claims that Ted Templeman sequenced "OU812". If this is true, I hope they credit him for it on the remaster (if it happens), and I'd like to see Mick Jones credited for "Dreams" on "5150" aswell. I'd like to see the remasters done the right way, like "1984" was when they re-credited "I'll wait" with Michael McDonald.
    What is understood need not be discussed

    "Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

    "I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

  2. #2
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    12.17.03
    Age
    32
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    2,512
    Favorite VH Album

    FW, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Likes
    250
    Liked 135 Times in 99 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dont disturb my Paradise View Post
    ......Heres something i've never realised until reading VH's "Bam" interview in 1988. Eddie claims that Ted Templeman sequenced "OU812". If this is true, I hope they credit him for it on the remaster (if it happens), and I'd like to see Mick Jones credited for "Dreams" on "5150" aswell. I'd like to see the remasters done the right way, like "1984" was when they re-credited "I'll wait" with Michael McDonald.
    Isn't Mick Jones credited as co-producer on 5150? What more credit are you hoping for?

    Does anyone know what contribution Michael McDonald made to I'll Wait? I've always wanted to know.

  3. #3
    Good Enough vaijuju's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.04.09
    Age
    52
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,778
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Little guitars
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 02:39 PM
    Likes
    545
    Liked 1,151 Times in 516 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheInside1985 View Post
    ............Does anyone know what contribution Michael McDonald made to I'll Wait? I've always wanted to know.

    I'll Wait (4:41)
    "I'll Wait" was a synthesizer-driven song co-written by Van Halen and former Doobie Brother Michael McDonald. Dave and Ted wanted this song kept off the album, but Edward and Donn pushed for it. This song is about the girl wearing men's underwear in a Calvin Klein advertisement. Roth tacked the picture next to his Sony Trinitron TV and wrote the lyrics to her.
    http://www.classicvanhalen.com/albums_1984.shtml

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    47
    Location
    Kate Upton's Closet
    Posts
    37,923
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Likes
    3,510
    Liked 18,158 Times in 8,974 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vaijuju View Post
    I'll Wait (4:41)
    "I'll Wait" was a synthesizer-driven song co-written by Van Halen and former Doobie Brother Michael McDonald. Dave and Ted wanted this song kept off the album, but Edward and Donn pushed for it. This song is about the girl wearing men's underwear in a Calvin Klein advertisement. Roth tacked the picture next to his Sony Trinitron TV and wrote the lyrics to her.
    http://www.classicvanhalen.com/albums_1984.shtml
    A lot of fans think Dave and Ted were right and it should have been left off.

    However, I really like it and have always liked it in concert just because for some reason it is one of the songs that DLR sings really well live.

    Wish Ed would play the keys instead of them piping them in, but hey, that is just me.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

    DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

  5. #5
    Eruption
    Join Date
    02.25.00
    Age
    45
    Location
    Va Beach, VA USA
    Posts
    1,016
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

    Default

    I thought Michael McDonald got co-writter credit on the original issue of 1984?
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

  6. #6
    Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.02.06
    Age
    45
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,527
    Favorite VH Album

    5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

    5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

    11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Likes
    8
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheInside1985 View Post
    Isn't Mick Jones credited as co-producer on 5150? What more credit are you hoping for?

    Does anyone know what contribution Michael McDonald made to I'll Wait? I've always wanted to know.
    .....he is credited as co - producer, but he also helped write "Dreams" aswell. All the other songs were only written by Sammy and Eddie.
    What is understood need not be discussed

    "Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

    "I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

  7. #7
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    02.19.07
    Posts
    4,976
    Last Online

    10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Likes
    99
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    A lot of fans think Dave and Ted were right and it should have been left off.

    However, I really like it and have always liked it in concert just because for some reason it is one of the songs that DLR sings really well live.

    Wish Ed would play the keys instead of them piping them in, but hey, that is just me.
    Something I liked about Ed playing guitar on it last tour was it gave it a different dimension. Had a little more edge to it.

    I never heard that Dave and Ted wanted that off the album though. Interesting to hear that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk ziggysmalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.24.03
    Location
    Cleveland, Oh
    Posts
    12,980
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 08:52 AM
    Likes
    2,605
    Liked 4,807 Times in 2,454 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I know this is off the path but somewhere in the back of my mind I remember Eddie mentioning Michael's involvement with I'll Wait. Or at least I think I do. During I think the 2nd verse, you can hear some additional keyboards being doubletrack over the main riff. For some reason I think that was McDonald's input.

    I could be 100% wrong or somebody in 86 told me that over a case of Little Kings.

  9. #9
    Forum Frontman Double Down's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.10.05
    Age
    49
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    17,911
    Favorite VH Album

    ('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

    11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Likes
    538
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

    Default

    Speaking of OU812, I was over my buddy's last weekend and he had the vinyl. Not once did I think it sounded thin and poorly produced. God damn it sounded good. What a difference.
    .
    .
    .
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk sixstring's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.22.04
    Age
    45
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    9,852
    Favorite VH Album

    1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

    07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Speaking of OU812, I was over my buddy's last weekend and he had the vinyl. Not once did I think it sounded thin and poorly produced. God damn it sounded good. What a difference.
    While I could make the argument that it sounds thin in spots, I really do think that album was designed to be CRANKED, and when it IS, it sounds fantastic. The warmth of vinyl would only enhance that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]


    "20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

    "something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

    "in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

  11. #11
    Forum Frontman Double Down's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.10.05
    Age
    49
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    17,911
    Favorite VH Album

    ('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

    11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Likes
    538
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
    While I could make the argument that it sounds thin in spots, I really do think that album was designed to be CRANKED, and when it IS, it sounds fantastic. The warmth of vinyl would only enhance that.

    I trust your take that it's thin in spots but yeah, that's exactly how we listened to it - LOUD.

    In particular I thought Mine All Mine sounded incredible.
    .
    .
    .
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

  12. #12
    Atomic Punk sixstring's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.22.04
    Age
    45
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    9,852
    Favorite VH Album

    1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

    07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    I trust your take that it's thin in spots but yeah, that's exactly how we listened to it - LOUD.

    In particular I thought Mine All Mine sounded incredible.
    I really think it comes down to the fact that the CD transfer was a horrible job. I remember my cassette version sounding AWESOME back in the day...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]


    "20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

    "something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

    "in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

  13. #13
    Future's in the past....
    Join Date
    03.03.08
    Age
    51
    Location
    Somewhere between here and there
    Posts
    13,090
    Favorite VH Album

    WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

    At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

    11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
    I really think it comes down to the fact that the CD transfer was a horrible job. I remember my cassette version sounding AWESOME back in the day...
    Bear something in mind, back in the day there were essentially two versions for mixdown...one for the album and one for cassette. Many times it was the cassette version that was used for CD, which did not translate well to the CD format.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. "Say Uncle," "You Wear It Well," "River Wide" and "Left for Dead."
    By extreme red roth in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 12.28.16, 06:31 PM
  2. "Emergency", "Night Gallery", "Kojak" To Return Via NBC Owned Websites...
    By chefcraig in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02.25.08, 05:36 PM
  3. Anyone got "Sucker" or "Source" video from OU812 tour?
    By IntoTheEther in forum Van Halen On The Tube
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05.14.07, 06:15 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09.21.06, 10:36 AM
  5. From the "Bored From The Wait" Department: Happy OU812 Day
    By JWS_5150 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08.13.01, 06:18 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •