Register
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Universal Studios Hollywood question

I am flying to LA over spring break and this time I'm bringing my 8 and 10 year old sons. Usually it's just the wife and I on our trips to So Cal, but we are bringing the kids this time and are considering Universal Studios as a place to take them on one or two of the days. Of all the places we have taken our boys, we have never been to Universal. Does anyone have any opinions of Universal Hollywood? Is it absolutely slamming busy in mid March? Any other cool suggestions or alternatives would be welcome. We have done Disney (Orlando) for 4 years in a row so Disney has gotten a bit old, but if Disney in Anaheim is significantly different or worth going to we are considering checking it out.... We are also going to the beach (staying a portion of the time in Laguna), also we are taking them to see the Santa Monica Pier etc...

Thoughts?
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Man, it's been 20+ years since I did Universal, so I won't be much help there. I would consider Knotts Berry Farm for kids that age, they may enjoy it. There's also Legoland down a bit in Carlsbad (North San Diego Co.) too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks! Those are some great options. Knotts Berry Farm would be great. I think my 10 year old son would get a bit bored at Lego Land but by 8 year old is a Lego Maniac so we may need to go anyway.
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:38 PM
    Liked 3,117 Times in 1,828 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Warmoth View Post
    I am flying to LA over spring break and this time I'm bringing my 8 and 10 year old sons. Usually it's just the wife and I on our trips to So Cal, but we are bringing the kids this time and are considering Universal Studios as a place to take them on one or two of the days. Of all the places we have taken our boys, we have never been to Universal. Does anyone have any opinions of Universal Hollywood? Is it absolutely slamming busy in mid March? Any other cool suggestions or alternatives would be welcome. We have done Disney (Orlando) for 4 years in a row so Disney has gotten a bit old, but if Disney in Anaheim is significantly different or worth going to we are considering checking it out.... We are also going to the beach (staying a portion of the time in Laguna), also we are taking them to see the Santa Monica Pier etc...

Thoughts?
    I have year passes to both Disney/California Adventure and Universal. Universal is cool, but if you're going on a weekday you'll hit everything they have easy. They also have Universal Citiwalk there with shops and restaurants and a movie theatre, so that's cool.

There's always the chance you'll see a semi-celeb. Last time I was there, during the studio tour, we saw the two kids from the show Parenthood walking around amongst the studios. The flip side of that is if there is filming on the day you go, you won't see part of the tour. They were filming the new Muppet Movie last time, so lots of the facades, including Back to the Future's courthouse square (also in Bruce Almighty and To Kill a Mockingbird) were closed off, much to my girlfriend's disappointment.

King Kong 3603D is AWESOME. But it is only 2:30 long and it is the first "thing" on the studio tour. The studio tour is really cool upon first visit, and can be good for multiple visits because different tour guides will point out different things. For example, Desperate Housewives' Wysteria Lne. has houses used in many many films. Our first time through (this year) the guide only told us whose houses they were from the show. The second guide (I already knew, though, because I had been. My girlfriend hadn't.) pointed out which house was the Munsters' and the house from Animal House, etc. Some of the other "experiences" on the tour are showing their age, though. However, seeing some of the classic places used in all kinds of movies, depending upon your love of movies, can make that stuff worthwhile.

The Simpson's ride is really fun, and there is some Shrek 3D stuff, and if your heart and nerves can take it, the Haunted Horrors thing is REALLY, REALLY well done. But the live actors in movie quality makeup can scare the ever living bejeezus out of you as you go through some of the most famous "scenes" in horror history.

As far as Disney/CA adventure, some of the stuff is different. Pirates is a clone to Florida, but the Haunted Mansion has differences inside and out (I have never been to Florida, but I have read up on some stuff). The California Disney resort is MUCH smaller than Florida, fyi.

CA Adventure is also a mess right now. They are in the middle of a multi-billion dollar makeover. Carsland is being built, and almost the entire front half of the park is being renovated. However, World of Color is an awesome, awesome show. The rides are either "meh" or also located in Florida, but CA Adventure will be much better come 2012 when Carsland opens, as well as the Little Mermaid Ride.

I would suggest looking at Disneyland Anaheim's website. They have info on all the attractions.

Just yesterday, Disneyland tested, for the first time, a meet and greet with Mickey where the character actually talks. Instead of just a mute guy in a costume, this Mickey actually interacts with guests. That's pretty cool. No idea if they are going to roll that out full time though.

Hope that helps.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:38 PM
    Liked 3,117 Times in 1,828 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Warmoth View Post
    Thanks! Those are some great options. Knotts Berry Farm would be great. I think my 10 year old son would get a bit bored at Lego Land but by 8 year old is a Lego Maniac so we may need to go anyway.
    Also, I have been to Legoland. It sucks. But Sea World is pretty cool. I think there is a ticket you can buy that gets you into Universal, Disney, and Sea World. No clue on the price, though.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:35 PM
    Liked 1,140 Times in 650 Posts

Dude, take them to Magic Mountain...they will worship at your feet. Well, for at least the day anyhow. There are so many kick ass rides there and cool things to see that I have never heard anyone say it sucks. The only downer is all of the cholo types (mexican wannabe gang bangers)
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by onefootoutthedoor View Post
    Man, it's been 20+ years since I did Universal, so I won't be much help there. I would consider Knotts Berry Farm for kids that age, they may enjoy it. There's also Legoland down a bit in Carlsbad (North San Diego Co.) too.
    Been 30 years for me since I've been out there, but Knott's was one cool place when I went, that and Magic Mountain were two of the highlights of my trip.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.