Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:54 AM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

Default Little Guitars 07 / 08 tour question

Hey guys,

question for you EVH guitar players I would put this post in another section but I did not really want it getting answered by non guitarists. No offense to the non guitarists...

When I play Little guitars I usually do one of two things. I play it on my Steinberger GL2T trans trem guitar and lock up pitch to suit the song or I just use a capo on the 3rd fret. I noticed that during the 07 / 08 tour Ed was playing it on either his original Frankenstrat or one of the replica Frankies. I have tons of videos of the tour and cant seem to find a capo on his guitar. Was he just tuning the whole guitar up for the song?

what do you guys normally do for Little Guitars? Tune the guitar up or use a capo?

Rob

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    Hey guys,

question for you EVH guitar players I would put this post in another section but I did not really want it getting answered by non guitarists. No offense to the non guitarists...

When I play Little guitars I usually do one of two things. I play it on my Steinberger GL2T trans trem guitar and lock up pitch to suit the song or I just use a capo on the 3rd fret. I noticed that during the 07 / 08 tour Ed was playing it on either his original Frankenstrat or one of the replica Frankies. I have tons of videos of the tour and cant seem to find a capo on his guitar. Was he just tuning the whole guitar up for the song?

what do you guys normally do for Little Guitars? Tune the guitar up or use a capo?

Rob
    he was actually playing smaller scale Franky's. He kind of stopped playing them toward the end. They weren't much smaller though really....like 3/4 size. I do know one of them was fitted with an UNK neck (Maple version of the old aluminum neck Kramers) I heard some say that he could not play the real small versions because of his hand deal, and because you need fairly heavy strings to make it sound right, so it was causing pain, but that's heresay really. Who knows for sure. As far as how I used to play it, I used to play an Erlewine Chaquita guitar. (Like the one Marty McFly used in Back To The Future) with .13's tuned to G if I remember right. It actually sounded pretty close.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

interesting....

I did not notice the Franky was a smaller scale version. I will have to check out a boot tonight after work.

Neat idea on the chiquita guitar. I need to get me one of them.

Rob

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    he was actually playing smaller scale Franky's. He kind of stopped playing them toward the end. They weren't much smaller though really....like 3/4 size. I do know one of them was fitted with an UNK neck (Maple version of the old aluminum neck Kramers) I heard some say that he could not play the real small versions because of his hand deal, and because you need fairly heavy strings to make it sound right, so it was causing pain, but that's heresay really. Who knows for sure. As far as how I used to play it, I used to play an Erlewine Chaquita guitar. (Like the one Marty McFly used in Back To The Future) with .13's tuned to G if I remember right. It actually sounded pretty close.
    yup, tuned to G, with the 6th string tuned to F (ala drop -D) but with regular strings or lighter than usual, theres a lot of tension even on a 3/4 scale guitar.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    interesting....

I did not notice the Franky was a smaller scale version. I will have to check out a boot tonight after work.

Neat idea on the chiquita guitar. I need to get me one of them.

Rob
    Yeah. It's not real noticeable if you're not looking for it, but you will see it is a bit smaller.
    The Chaquita is a cool little guitar. I ordered one in 87' or something, then ended up selling a bunch of gear. A guy came to my house and saw it (it wasn't for sale) and offered me money I couldn't refuse for it, so I sold him that along with some amps.
    I've been thinking about that guitar alot lately though. I saw BTTF on the tube a while back, and I thought I should give Dan Erlewine a call to see if he still makes them. I still see them on his site, but I don't know if it's current.
    They're a real handy little axe though, and sound very big for their size. Especially with them 13's!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Here's the "Mini Franky" in action...

..and a full-size, Fender Replica for comparison....
    WGAF?!!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I put this little ash guy together from Musikraft parts about three years ago. It gets 10 gauge strings and is tuned to G Standard. Drop the low string down a whole step and it does "Little Guitars" no problemo.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    I put this little ash guy together from Musikraft parts about three years ago. It gets 10 gauge strings and is tuned to G Standard. Drop the low string down a whole step and it does "Little Guitars" no problemo.

That's one sweet lil' axe man!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post

Nice, AT! I like that little guy!
    WGAF?!!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

It's a fun guitar and a GOOD guitar! It holds its tuning and sounds great. Aside from "Little Guitars" and a couple of small instrumental things I've written, I don't have much to use it for. It does fit well in my suitcase, though; thus the mini Strat has been to a few exotic locations. (Travel guitar!)

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

Well,

its been a long time since I have jammed on Little Guitars. I dont have any small guitars so I capo'd up the 3rd fret of the 5150 and dropped the low E down and had a blast. Pretty easy song to play. For some reason I remember it being a little more of a chore.

thats a fun song to play.

Rob

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:31 AM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

You know, back when I was in a cover band ('78 to '84 roughly) I never bothered to figure out this song since I had enough with trying to figure out what we were playing. I always loved this song and caught the Diver Down tour two nights in a row with Ed playing the mini-Les Paul. That big "gooey" (how's that for a description) chord that he lets ring out shortly before the vocals begin makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up if I haven't heard the song in a little while.

So apart from using a capo at the third fret and dropping the low E string a step (or using a "little guitar"), what is the general technique he uses on this song? I guess I should hit youtube to see if anyone has it mastered there. No time to figure these things out from scratch any longer. Like a number of Ed's innovations it's probably easy once you know the method. He was the man though for originally creating or furthering these techniques on the guitar.

There is a "little guitar" pictured around the middle of this page but it's not the color of the one he used to use live back in the day. In the picture of the Rasta guitar you can see Ed in the background playing the mini-Les Paul. I just figured people would enjoy looking at this page regardless, except for Jimi who no doubt has this page memorized. Take a look at the "above the garage" pics that are linked off that page as well.

http://www.vintagekramer.com/5150f.htm

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

it's basically a very staccato finger picking technique, i use the middle and ring fingers on my right hand to play a majority of it so i can still hold the pick with my thumb and index finger.

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

So, as long as this is here, I have a question. We all know Ed was having trouble with his hand, and even when I was playing, I never tried this tune....anyway, is there something overly complicated that made them drop this tune from the setlist? Seems to me Ed was absolutely on fire that last leg, and am trying to figure out why this of all tunes got dropped.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

from a song writing and structural viewpoint its really simple, no scary chords or fast runs to worry about. but to get it dead right is actually a real pain in the ass, your muting has to be spot on or it ust ends up sounding like you're playing with a conventional right hand technique, maybe thats why he dropped it, im just grasping at straws though.