Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Default ABC News Experiment...The Buy American challenge?

I was stunned...and this is a really good series.

If we increase our efforts and buy America just by 1% more the amount of jobs created is incredible....200,000 jobs!!!.in the 1960's 9 out of 10 products were American made...now.... less than half

but is it possible? ABC removed all of the non American made items from a home....and left it ....well, you'll see

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/made...iness-13023882

this quiz is surprising http://abcnews.go.com/WN/page?id=12888326

This series examines it, and I am looking forward to the future episodes

Made in America: Meet the Usry Family
    One Family to Learn What Their House Looks Like With Only American

Is it possible for an all-American family to live life with only all-American products?

At the request of "World News with Diane Sawyer," one Dallas family is going to give it a try and share their experiences with the country in a special series, "Made in America," focusing on U.S. manufacturing, jobs and what it all means for the nation's economy.

In their single-story home on Snow White Drive, the Usrys lead full and active lives. Husband Jon, 39, works as an advertising executive and wife Anna is a stay-at-home mom who's active in community organizations. Son Landon, 7, is in first grade. Daughter Ellis, 6, is in kindergarten. And then there's the dog, a black lab named Amber.

"Both the kids are obsessed with her," Anna said.

Jon, Anna, Landon, Ellis and Amber have all agreed to participate in a unique experiment, emptying their living room, kitchen and master bedroom of any imported products and replacing them with items made in the U.S. From the rugs on the floors to the sheets on the bed to the TV on the wall, they'll find out where their products came from and whether similar goods are available from U.S. manufacturers.

"I thought that Ashton Kutcher was going to be coming around the corner, we were being punked," said Anna, recalling when she first heard ABC's request.
    There are still plenty of Americans at work making consumer products. More than 11 million Americans get their paychecks from working in factories, and according to Moody's Economy.com, if every American spent an extra $3.33 on U.S. made goods every year, it would create nearly 10,000 new jobs.

"We've seen and continue to hear about more and more of the manufacturing going offshore or out of the U.S., which translates to job loss," said Jon. "Whenever we have a viable option, we would love to buy American."

Still, Jon admits that the first consideration for his family when making purchases is often cost, and it frequently seems that the least-expensive goods come with a "Made in China" or "Made in Mexico" stamp.

"As a child, I think hearing the sentiment 'Buy American' seemed to be a message that was more prevalent then than is so now," said Jon.

"I remember when it came to automotives... the discussions around that when it came to American-made or foreign cars," said Anna, thinking of her own childhood.

The Usry's say that in 2011, their own children are more apt to think about what's trendy than where products come from. Like many suburban kids, Landon and Ellis have toys, video game systems, and sports equipment that comes from all over the world.

Landon, a big 'Star Wars' fan, has plenty of themed toys, and Ellis loves to play with her room full of baby dolls, including her prized American Girl dolls, all of which were made in China. They should be called "China Girl dolls," Ellis said with a wide grin.

For the parents, the biggest toy is the flat screen TV, a Panasonic that they believe could be the first item to go.

"I would think that probably 50 percent of the products in our household are from the U.S.," Jon estimated. "A lot of the day-to-day consumables and some of the other electronics and furniture very well may be coming from other countries."

Starting tonight on "ABC World News with Diane Sawyer," the Usry's will find out exactly where their belongings were made, and whether their 50 percent guess is on the mark. We hope you'll join us to find out, and learn about 'Made in America' products by visiting a special page on our web site, ABCNews.com/wn/MadeinAmerica.

ABC's Eric Noll contributed to this report.
    Last edited by Daisy Hill; 03.01.11 at 10:33 AM.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

that really is interesting. I'm going to talk with all of my immediate family and rally to take on the challenge of buying at the very least, MORE American than we do now.

I need some tools this weekend. I'll start with that.

Great eye opener segment. Thanks for sharing that link Daisy.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 6,695 Times in 3,715 Posts

can't say I'm shocked. If you ever want to go crazy try finding kids clothing that wasn't made in India or China or Bangladesh. It's hard. Same goes for toys.

I go out of my way to buy things made either in Canada or the States and I'm amazed at how often you can't find either. I've been more succesful than most as most of our furniture was made here and I refuse to buy a vehicle that was built overseas (our van was built in Alabama I believe and the car in Ontario) but for smaller items it's almost impossible.

I'm amazed that more companies that produce in North America don't go out of their way to make mention of it on the items. The worst part is when I saw a Canadian flag being sold at a local store that was made in China.

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

"You know, this is really hard for me to say, but I got to tell you something, man.
    The american worker is really second best, I' m sorry. The japanese can do everything
    better, faster and longer."
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

find usa made products

www.americanmadeproductsguide.com
    www.madeinusa.org
    www.madeinusa.com
    www.americansworking.com

anybody else have any resources?

If we just make a small effort to buy a few more American made items...even if it just increasing our awareness through looking at the labels of what we buy and letting manufacturing know that it matters to us

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

part 2 we get to see what a typical home stripped of its foreign made items looks like....

I'll bet there's a lot more they could have taken out if they researched more

tonite we get to find out what a home refurnished with American made stuff looks like...and how much it costs

here's the video.....pretty interesting

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/made...truth-13032785

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    part 2 we get to see what a typical home stripped of its foreign made items looks like....

I'll bet there's a lot more they could have taken out if they researched more

tonite we get to find out what a home refurnished with American made stuff looks like...and how much it costs

here's the video.....pretty interesting

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/made...truth-13032785
    thanks Daisy - please post the final episode when you get it, can't wait to see what it looks like.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I don't have a problem buying things that are made in Mexico, especially when the price is right. That country is in really poor shape and they need the work. I figure the more good jobs they can create on their side of the border, the better for everyone.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

the family got their new stuff....and it looks better than their old stuff...but even the reporters admit some of the things are much more expensive....but others are less expensive..and some are not available at all..tomorrow we get the details

but that's the thing......it was quite a feat to research these manufacturers just to identify them......I imagine that overnight they had NO time to comparison shop or wait for sales, like you normally would

and if we bought more amercan goods and more manufacturers began making more items we would have more choice...one of the manufacturers said if he sold 3000 more tables (and in a country this size that is a speck) he could hire 15-20 people

http://abcnews.go.com/US/made-americ...ry?id=13041638

Sinner's Swing! chewbaccamonkeylunch's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning and Balance (Tie)
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights (LWAN)
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

wow, they had to make an exception for light bulbs because not one is made here in America any more. That is sick. I didn't know that, sort of an eye-opener.
    The trashman was my hero.......
    -Seenbad

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:35 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Very interesting series. Can't wait for the last segment on pricing.

The one thing that jumped out at me was when they got to the kitchen and they said the appliances were Viking from Mississippi. Viking is one of the most expensive brands out there. When I was shopping for appliances about 2 years ago we were in a store that had a separate, well decorated area for the Viking appliances. The basic stoves were at least double a Whirlpool appliance. Just a quick search on the internet shows that the cheapest microwave they carry is $539. It is going to take a lot to get the Walmart shopper who is used to paying $69.99 for a microwave to pay $539 in order to create jobs. And the $69.99 microwave price wasn't made up..it is the current #1 seller on Walmart.com.

Appliances are the extreme example and I am sure there are many other lower priced items that can be replaced which will in turn help create jobs...my point is it is going to take a concerted effort by both consumers and stores such as Walmart, Target etc. to make this a success. Somehow I don't see Walmart carrying Viking products etc. in the near future.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

i'd love to know what they did for the kids toys. That would be very hard to pull off. Most of the popular toys are made oversees.

But I think the message of the story is an important one, it doesn't mean you have to spend more to buy a local product (like the 1,500 dollar coffee table) but that you should try to buy local more often. It wouldn't take much of an adjustment to kickstart the manufacturing economy. Some smart retailers should jump on this and really stress the products that they sell that are made in America.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:35 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Some smart retailers should jump on this and really stress the products that they sell that are made in America.
    Bingo! Some people will get turned off by how much work it took them to track down the Made in America products. Make it easy for everyone to know where they can get these products and it will be much more successful.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Some smart retailers should jump on this and really stress the products that they sell that are made in America.

I still remember when Sam Walton was doing commercials for Walmart

and believe it or not, Walmart used to be that way....you could walk thru the stores and see american flags designating the American products...now they are are the leader in forcing companies to go overseas in order to meet their demands for lower prices and higher margins

I wish someone would do that now .... it would be great to walk thru a store and be able to see which products were made in America

if a 1% increase leads to 200000 jobs, that is 200000 people who could shop more at those stores

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    I still remember when Sam Walton was doing commercials for Walmart

and believe it or not, Walmart used to be that way....you could walk thru the stores and see american flags designating the American products...now they are are the leader in forcing companies to go overseas in order to meet their demands for lower prices and higher margins

I wish someone would do that now .... it would be great to walk thru a store and be able to see which products were made in America

if a 1% increase leads to 200000 jobs, that is 200000 people who could shop more at those stores
    Even more interesting that we had an $821 billion stimulus bill that they are still arguing over how many jobs were "saved" or "created". ABC goes out and figures out a plan that could be implemented on a store by store basis by getting the message out through public service announcements. Which do you think the public would get behind if they had a choice? Buy American or We Are Going To Sink Our Country Deeper In Debt With A Stimulus Package That Cannot Be Tracked On Job Creation?? Hmmm........
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.