Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Default NFL 2011 Off-Season Thread

Well, here we are, another season down the drain with the possibility of the next season being down the drain before it even starts.

Do you think the owners will really lockout the players? CNN has reported that the NFL could weather a 2 year work stoppage. Some food for thought.

Sidney Ride has decided he wants to test the free agent waters, but those waters are more like trying to fish in the puddle in my back yard.

It also looks like the dome will have a new roof in time for the pre-season, but will it matter?

It's not looking good for a 2011 NFL season at all at this point.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

I will go on a shooting spree if there's no NFL this season.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Eruption
    Last Online

07.13.12 @ 05:20 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Well, here we are, another season down the drain with the possibility of the next season being down the drain before it even starts.

Do you think the owners will really lockout the players? CNN has reported that the NFL could weather a 2 year work stoppage. Some food for thought.

Sidney Ride has decided he wants to test the free agent waters, but those waters are more like trying to fish in the puddle in my back yard.

It also looks like the dome will have a new roof in time for the pre-season, but will it matter?

It's not looking good for a 2011 NFL season at all at this point.
    They may be able to weather the next 2 years but there won;t be anything left when they come back. They will have nothing left but 9 figure letter head and logo. The fans will not put up with wealthy players arguing with wealthy owners for 2 games let alone 2 years

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Anything can happen, but from what I've read it sounds like the two sides are far apart and pretty firmly entrenched. Maybe it's all a smokescreen, but....the 2011-12 NFL season is like the new Van Halen record...I'll believe it when I see it.
    Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass...

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

No football this year is a very real possibility. The effects of it will be greater than the baseball strike in '94 and will have long lasting effects. It really isn't looking promising.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

Donor

Leon Washington - RB - Seahawks

According to Newsday's Bob Glauber, the contract proposal that Leon Washington turned down from the Jets two years ago was for $5.5 million per season.

Washington's new four-year deal with the Seahawks is for just over $3 million per season. Washington ended up losing out on over $2 million per season after holding out for Maurice Jones-Drew money and then sustaining a compound leg fracture in 2009.

That sucks.

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

05.09.15 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

I don't think it will be long before the players cave. Most of these guys are terrible at saving money and they have a very small window of opportunity to earn. The owners can afford to wait this thing out and have all of the leverage. Sure, Peyton Manning can afford to miss some checks. But what about the rest of these guys?

As far as personnel moves, I'm interested to see what happens with Carson Palmer. Sounds like the Bengals are wising up and realizing that they need to salvage the best of a bad situation and are going to listen to trades.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by onefootoutthedoor View Post
    The effects of it will be greater than the baseball strike in '94 and will have long lasting effects.

I don't see it that way at all. Even if there is a stoppage there's no way it would have the same effect as the baseball strike. At the time, baseball players were making far more money than any other athletes and were viewed as spoiled prima donna's. There was a real 'fuck them' attitude from the fans towards baseball players. People took their sweet-ass time coming back to MLB because the strike had been the final straw for a lot of fans.

The NFL is different. People are obsessed with football and it's far and away the most popular league we have. If a work stoppage happened it would be forgotten two seconds after it ends because everyone would be so god damn happy football was back. Besides, this wouldn't be a players strike it would be a lockout.

I think it's a moot point anyways. There's gonna be a full season.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

05.09.15 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    I don't see it that way at all. Even if there is a stoppage there's no way it would have the same effect as the baseball strike. At the time, baseball players were making far more money than any other athletes and were viewed as spoiled prima donna's. There was a real 'fuck them' attitude from the fans towards baseball players. People took their sweet-ass time coming back to MLB because the strike had been the final straw for a lot of fans.
    I agree. I think that most people also would side with the players. The majority of NFL players are definitely underpaid compared to the other major sports. I know its at #'s thing but these guys are literally taking years off of their lives to play this sport. And the owners still want to add 2 games.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gavs5150 View Post
    I don't think it will be long before the players cave. Most of these guys are terrible at saving money and they have a very small window of opportunity to earn. The owners can afford to wait this thing out and have all of the leverage. Sure, Peyton Manning can afford to miss some checks. But what about the rest of these guys?
    That reminds me, didn't the quarterbacks have a separate union at one time?

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post

The NFL is different. People are obsessed with football and it's far and away the most popular league we have. If a work stoppage happened it would be forgotten two seconds after it ends because everyone would be so god damn happy football was back. Besides, this wouldn't be a players strike it would be a lockout.

I think it's a moot point anyways. There's gonna be a full season.
    I agree.....Fans will come back in a heartbeat....a lockout would not have a dramatic effect on future attendance......

And yes.....there will be a full season of games.....there is too much money too be made by the owners....

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:50 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

If there isn't an NFL season, no big deal for me. I enjoy the college game more. I'm probably in the minority there.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

08.31.15 @ 02:01 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Federal judge sides with players union in TV revenue dispute

The waters just got even muddier...

Federal judge sides with players union in TV revenue dispute

Five days after saying he was unprepared to put his thumb on the scales of collective-bargaining negotiations between the NFL's owners and players, U.S. District Judge David Doty did just that Tuesday by reversing an earlier ruling that would have granted the owners access to $4 billion in television revenues during a lockout.

The ruling is considered a major victory of the union because, at least for now, the owners can't count on having the money to use as lockout insurance. Judge Doty will hold a hearing with both sides, at an undetermined date, to consider the award of monetary damages and equitable relief to the players -- which could include an injunction that would prevent the owners from being able to use the television revenues.

"This ruling means there is irrefutable evidence that owners had a premeditated plan to lockout players and fans for more than two years," said George Atallah, the NFLPA's assistant executive director for external affairs. "The players want to play football. That is the only goal we are focused on."

Said NFL spokesman Greg Aiello:"Today's ruling will have no effect on our efforts to negotiate a new, balanced labor agreement."

In early February, the union argued before Special Master Stephen Burbank that the league violated terms of the Stipulation and Settlement agreement -- which is the foundation of the current collective bargaining agreement -- when it redid several of its television contracts. The union said the league left monies on the table in 2009 and 2010 in exchange for lockout insurance in 2011.

Burbank ruled in favor of the league, although he did find two violations and awarded the union roughly $7 million in damages. The Players Association appealed the ruling last Thursday to Judge Doty, who declined to make a ruling from the bench that day in part because he did not want to impact negotiations one way or the other.

Tuesday's ruling is considered a huge victory for the union, which would have been at a decided disadvantage if the owners had access to the $4 billion during a lockout. It's unclear at this point whether the ruling will spur the sides to come to terms on a new agreement before the current CBA expires at midnight Thursday. However it clearly means the owners could have a harder time addressing their debt services if there is a prolonged work stoppage.

"I'm not sure what all that means, as of yet," said Colts center Jeff Saturday, who is a member of the NFLPA's executive committee. "We haven't been debriefed. We just got the news when we were in the meeting, so I'm sure we'll hear more tonight. But it sounds very favorable."

During last week's hearing, union attorney Jeffrey Kessler repeatedly drove home his contention that the owners violated terms of the Stipulation and Settlement Agreement by failing to "protect the economic interest of the players" while negotiating the new TV deals. He also hammered the point that the league sought to "inflict economic harm on the players" by securing lockout insurance from the networks.

"Their conduct was intentional in the extreme," Kessler argued. "It was carefully planned and executed by the people at the very top."

For instance, DirecTV's previous contract with the league contained no lockout provision. However Chase Carey, former CEO of the company, testified in the special master's hearing that he was told by league management it would be a "deal breaker" and "clearly a deal we would never do" if the satellite company failed to included lockout provisions in a new deal.

Also in his brief to the court -- which Doty unsealed last Thursday -- Kessler presented a memo obtained from a league broadcast committee meeting. In it Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is quoted as saying the owners "need to realistically assume [we are] locking out in 2011" to get a deal that works for the owners.

Among Kessler's other arguments in his brief, taken verbatim:

• Over the summer of 2008, they stated a "key consideration" for the TV contract negotiations was the "NFL strategic concerns" regarding a "CBA" and a "rationale" for an early DirecTV extension was "lock[ing] in rights fee with favorable work stoppage provisions as the "solution" for "guaranteed payments in NFL work stoppage."

• In October 2008, they stated that "Key considerations related to NFL labor situation" included the "NFL's ability to use media revenues to fund work stoppage."

• In February 2009, an NFL memorandum to the owners on defendants' broadcast, finance and labor committees state, in preparation for an usual joint meeting of these three committees: "The specific goals under consideration relating to the timing for key decisions include" -- "Securing revenue streams that will provide the necessary financial flexibility to remain committed to the right long-term labor agreement."

• On March 5, 2009, the presentation at the joint meeting of those committees stated that a key factor for defendants' negotiation decision making was their "cash needs during lockout" and indicated, in their Decision Tree, that the only reason for going forward with the new TV contracts "now" was because "Deal Completion Advance(s) CBA Negotiating Dynamics."

The league contends that lockout provisions have always been a part of TV contracts, although that wasn't the case with DirecTV and, according to Kessler, the previous ESPN deal would subjected the league to millions, if not billions of dollars in liabilities if there were no football for an entire season. Also, in previous deals the league was required to repay monies in the same work-stoppage year it received them. Now, the league is permitted to make restitution (with interest) at any point over the life of the agreement.

"Or repay in the form of rights for games," Levy said last week.

A lot of questions still must be answered, but for the moment the union has won a major ruling. Fans can only hope it leads to a quick settlement.

Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass...

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

Donor

JaFatFuckcus Russell - QB - Raiders

Former Raiders draft bust JaMarcus Russell is facing foreclosure on his $2.4 million Bay Area mansion.

Russell owes nearly $200,000 in back mortgage payments. If he doesn't come up with the cash by June, his house will go up on the auction block. Russell earned roughly $32 million in his three years with the Raiders, but it's no surprise that he's now strapped considering his epically poor discipline and decision-making. This certainly certainly doesn't give the impression that Russell is on the right track for a comeback.

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 34 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay View Post
    JaFatFuckcus Russell - QB - Raiders

Former Raiders draft bust JaMarcus Russell is facing foreclosure on his $2.4 million Bay Area mansion.

Russell owes nearly $200,000 in back mortgage payments. If he doesn't come up with the cash by June, his house will go up on the auction block. Russell earned roughly $32 million in his three years with the Raiders, but it's no surprise that he's now strapped considering his epically poor discipline and decision-making. This certainly certainly doesn't give the impression that Russell is on the right track for a comeback.

Wow, $32 Million in 3 years and he can't come up with the money to pay off this house?

On another note, I see that the Vikings have released the Childress experiment, Tarvaris Jackson. I think the only person surprised by this is Brad Childress.
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)