All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy/Runaround
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 12:12 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Default Guitar Amp Question

Hey All.

I have a Peavey Classic 50 212, mid 90`s model, and was wondering if changing the speakers would give me more bottom end.

I am using it stacked on a Mesa Boogie 212 cab with an EQ pedal, but still can`t seem to get the right boom...

Thanks
    One noticeable difference between Judas Priest and Metallica...
    ...Judas Priest only has one gay guy in the band.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:23 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Is that Mesa 212 cab closed or open back? A closed back cab should give more bottom end and punch in general. Even if you use speakers with a better bottom end you would lose part of that in an open back cab. Or something like a Mesa Thiele-ported cab would help. My one amp is a late 80's Mesa/Boogie Mark III open back combo (these are tone monsters, not Rectifier-style amps) with an Electro-Voice EVM12L 200w speaker, and then I can sit that on top of a closed back Mesa cab w/thiele port design and another EVM12L speaker. It definitely has more bottom end that way- the combo alone doesn't have much bottom end at all, although it kicks major ass clean or dirty.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

It can bee real hit and miss. An open back can sometimes give you more low end, especially depending on where it is situated. Like a few feet from a wall, it can sound low, but you will ALWAYS lose "punch" or tightness with an open back.
    Then you get into power handling. regardless of open back or closed, again, it can be hit or miss. Take my buddy for example. He re-speakered his Marshall 4x12 cab with brand new 30w Celestions thinking it might sound more full. It was a complete disappointment to him because his amp actually sounded thinner, though there was better breakup on his 100 watt Superlead. Now he actually runs at 8ohms with 50w. Randalls, and it sounds way better strange enough.
    So it comes down to the right combination. Ohm rating, power handling etc.
    If you can give a little more specifics and info into exactly what you're looking for soundwise, then me and the others can give you some suggestions.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:23 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Another thing to keep in mind is that the guitar is a midrange frequency instrument. When you're playing alone a lot of bottom end can sound really cool. In a band though you might not need so much bottom end. You might even get some dirty looks from the bass player.

Some of the most classic recorded guitar tracks sit really great in the mix but would sound terrible on their own. I'm thinking of things like Boston where it's really middy and would sound like it's coming through a transistor radio speaker on its own. But understandably some forms of music require that palm muted chugging sound with some good bottom end punch.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

That's a perfect set of examples.
    Even the early EVH tone is fairly high endy, but in the mix it works.
    Speakers can be a tough area to nail down. It's one thing to say "Ohh...that's easy...go with Celestion ______", but there's so many other factors to consider. Cabinet construction, as mentioned earlier open vs. close back, Materials used in the cabinet, the amps own characteristics, 1, 2, or four speakers and the way they comb filter (sound in relation to one another).
    Take my Vox AC30....I'm fairly happy with it, but I'd like to try some new speakers too as I find the stockers get a bit muddy or howl when they break up if pushed hard, so I'm in the same boat. Good speakers ain't cheap, and I've been combing the web for input. I've not really found anything solid to sway my one way or the other, so I've been running an MXR EQ, to drop some of the frequencies that seem to make the cones howl and it's been a lot better.