○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

Default Statue Fuels Controversy In Queens

Congressman calls NY statue sexist, wants it sold

By Chris Michaud Fri Feb 25, 5:46 pm ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) A New York Congressman is calling for the removal and sale of a statue that once graced City Hall park, saying it is ugly and sexist.

Anthony Weiner, who represents parts of Queens and Brooklyn, called on city officials to remove the decaying statue, entitled "Triumph of Civic Virtue," from its pedestal near Queens' Borough Hall, rather than spend thousands to have it repaired.

"Mayor (Fiorello) LaGuardia had it right when he banished this offensive statue from City Hall Park," Weiner told a news conference on Friday.

"Queens residents don't want this sitting in our back yard any longer," the Democrat said, adding the statue "is neither civil nor virtuous, and it's time for it to go."

The statue by sculptor Frederick MacMonnies depicts a nude male figure standing atop two women who represent evil sirens.

Weiner, who was joined by local women's groups, suggested the piece be removed and sold on Craigslist to raise funds.

"Civic Virtue" has caused controversy and drawn criticism virtually since its inception, with feminists protesting its unveiling in 1922.

An article from the same year that ran, oddly, in "Popular Mechanics," noted the recently installed piece had been drawing criticism from women and others.

"It ain't art to have a guy stepping on a girl's neck that way," the article quoted "a youthful onlooker" as saying.

Nearly 90 years later, and 70 years after its relocation in Queens, Weiner concurred.

"It's sexist. It's ugly," he wrote in a letter to city officials, going on to describe it as "an eyesore that depicts a nude man standing triumphantly atop two women at one of the busiest intersections in Queens."

While Weiner said his effort stemmed from ongoing public complaints, the work has its defenders.

A "Restore Civic Virtue" page on Facebook has 132 members and calls for its restoration and preservation.

The page's administrator blames the deterioration on fiscal priorities and the female Queens borough president's dislike of "the theme of a strong, muscular, heroic man overcoming temptation represented by two female sirens representing Corruption and Vice."

(Editing by Jerry Norton)

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...ork&id=7981002

Last Online

Premium Member

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

This coming from a guy whose last name is "weiner"......
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Looks like an Iowa high school wrestling match, to Me...
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

anyone who would get off the bus or subway or what ever and glance at the statue and see and man standing on top of women, without giving the image further thought, is not fully engaging themselves in the work of art

but those who look at it an try to understand what the piece is trying to communicate benefit from their effort.

but playing devils advocate..... lets say someone looks at it and all they see is a man standing on a woman.....does that mean the piece endorses mans domination of women? only if the beholder comes up with that interpretation

a piece of art is subjective ....there is the artists intent and there is also the audiences interpretation

but art is meant to make you think and feel.....and if it does neither, it is merely decoration

sounds like this piece does make people think and feel and so it is art and deserves preservation

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Down In Flames View Post
    Looks like an Iowa high school wrestling match, to Me...
    that's about right!

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,161 Times in 8,975 Posts

I think a lot of people wake up looking for something to get upset about instead of the other way around.

Even if it does offend, so what? We have created a culture based upon the concept of "if you don't like what I am saying, don't listen, change the channel".

I don't think it is in poor taste, but so what? Even if I did I would have just moved on and never given it another thought.

Many of our statues have mythological themes, and Sirens in greek mythology were all women I believe. Get over it an balance the budget Mr. Wiener.
    Last edited by Dave's Dreidel; 02.27.11 at 07:12 AM.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Last Online

Premium Member

From the video I posted... I have wonder if the Rep or Councilwoman ever read Homer, or took an art appreciation class in their lifetime. You would think that educated people with their positions would have better ideas to serve the community. Once you achieve the goal of removing 100 year old works of art (instead of prerserving them), I would think that the sky is the limit, to begin wiping out every single work, due to misinterpretation. Once again, we are doomed as a society.

The news anchor didn't help matters much either by referring to the depicted piece as woman, and not sirens or at least creatures from Greek mythology.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just so we keep score; Sentator Al D'Amato condemned the NEA for funding (in part) "Piss Christ, and he list lambasted as a backwards prude.

AG John Ashcroft covers the breasts on the statue of Justice at the Justice Department and became the subject of ridicule (and rightfully so).

Both men are Republicans.

I expect Congressman, 'scuze me, Congress person Wiener to reciece equal derision by the mainstream media.

I will begin holding my breath (with tongue in cheek) now...
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I think a lot of people wake up looking for something to get upset about instead of the other way around.

Even if it does offend, so what? We have created a culture based upon the concept of "if you don't like what I am saying, don't listen, change the channel".

I don't think it is in poor taste, but so what? Even if I did I would have just moved on and never given it another thought.

Many of our statues have mythological themes, and Sirens in greek mythology were all women I believe. Get over it an balance the budget Mr. Wiener.
    Sadly, it's becoming more of a pussified society of "I don't like it, so YOU have to change it to accomodate me"....and then we hear about unspeakable things like a war veteran being told to take down his American flag because the Iraqi's who moved in across the street find it "offensive"...the only thing this whole "political correctness" thing has done is create a whole new avenue for trouble making, attention grabbing assholes to make life difficult for others...
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    Just so we keep score; Sentator Al D'Amato condemned the NEA for funding (in part) "Piss Christ, and he list lambasted as a backwards prude.

AG John Ashcroft covers the breasts on the statue of Justice at the Justice Department and became the subject of ridicule (and rightfully so).

Both men are Republicans.

I expect Congressman, 'scuze me, Congress person Wiener to reciece equal derision by the mainstream media.

I will begin holding my breath (with tongue in cheek) now...

with the proposed budget cuts, I don't think anyone will have to worry that tax payer money is going to fund controversial art....any art for that matter.

With states cutting their own budgets and National Endowment for the Arts, and PBS on the federal chopping block, most states Arts Council will be having going out of business sales

It's a shame really, because they represent such a small portion of the budget and provide such wonderful services to the arts community

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.