Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 788 Times in 378 Posts

Premium Member

Default Deadly Protests Rock Iraq

19 people die in demonstrations in Iraq

(02-26) 04:00 PST Baghdad - -- At least 19 people were killed in Iraq on Friday as tens of thousands defied an official curfew to join a nationwide "Day of Rage," echoing protests that have roiled the Middle East and North Africa since January.

Despite pleas by the government and Shiite religious leaders for Iraqis to stay home, demonstrators gathered by the hundreds and thousands from Basra in the south to Mosul and Kirkuk in the north.

Protesters expressed anger and rage at local leaders as well as at Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, storming provincial government offices in several cities and calling for more jobs, electricity and clean water, better pensions and medical care.

Security forces used tear gas, water cannons, sound bombs and at times live bullets to disperse the crowds. Fatalities were reported in Mosul, Fallujah, Tikrit and a town near Kirkuk, when security forces opened fire on demonstrators who were surrounding - or in some cases storming - government buildings. There were also clashes in Ramadi.

In the southern province of Basra, about 10,000 demonstrators forced the resignation of the provincial governor. In Fallujah, protesters forced the resignation of the entire city council.

In Baghdad, where al-Maliki imposed a curfew that banned cars and even bicycles from the streets, people walked, often many miles, to reach the city's Tahrir Square. Several thousand had gathered by early afternoon.

Surrounded by hundreds of police, soldiers and rooftop snipers, with military helicopters buzzing overhead, protesters waved Iraqi flags and signs reading: "Bring the Light Back" (a reference to the lack of electricity), "No to Corruption!" and "I'm a Peaceful Man."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1F3JCrfto

Rocket attack on Iraq oil refinery

An oil refinery that produces much of the energy needed to power Baghdad is on fire after it came under rocket attack.

The refinery is located about 180km north of Baghdad.

"There is a big fire in the refinery and the refinery has completely stopped," Ahmed al-Jubouri told the Reuters news agency.

The attackers killed one person and planted bombs at production units for kerosene and benzene at the refinery, he said.

Rockets also hit the Karrada district in central Baghdad and the heavily fortified Green Zone, which houses the Iraqi parliament, the US embassy and many government buildings, police said.

Seven inmates in an interior ministry jail were killed in a mortar attack in the centre of the capital, security officials said.
    Another 21 people were also wounded in their cells when up to three mortar rounds hit the facility.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/mi...756841284.html
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:18 AM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but it's a shame we had to waste billions of dollars and more importantly thousands of lives in that country. We didn't belong there anyway and I suppose no one could have foreseen the upheavals going on now in the Middle East. It means much more to these people when they enact the changes they are looking to achieve on their own. They could have overthrown Saddam, and then blown each other to pieces in their own little civil war / religious war without our troops being stuck in the middle of it all.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:22 AM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

that's kind of how I feel now, too, though I'm not sure anyone could've foreseen current events. I'm half tempted to say we should pull EVERY AMERICAN (and our allies should follow suit) out of that area now and let the chips fall where they may, but men (and women) smarter than me probably know that it's not as simple as that.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:18 AM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

I'll agree with that- pull 'em all out. I think *it is* as simple as that at this point. Here you go guys, you got your country now enjoy it if you live to see tomorrow. It doesn't make up for the thousands of senseless deaths but if it prevents the death of one more US soldier then it's worth it.

Well, here's a quote from one of the architects of that war who is currently on a book tour (and it's not GWB):

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know."

That's the kind of "intelligence" that helped to get us into that war, so I believe that people like you and I are perfectly capable of understanding that we should get out of there. This will end up being another Korea where we have troops stationed there 50 years from now, regardless of whatever exit strategy is in place now.