Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:26 AM
    Liked 460 Times in 200 Posts

Default Korean Peavey special vs. Japan Fender special

Hey guys,

had a question. I have never played a Peavey Korean special import but I have played and owned the american specials and the standards and I have a Fender wolfgang special that I love.

my question just out of curiosity. How does the korean peavey compare to the japan fender? They are both imports and they are both specials and dont they both have veneer tops on them?

is the Fender a better guitar than the peavey? How does the hardware compare and overall quality?

thoughts and ideas.

thanks,

Rob

Top Of The World
    Last Online

10.18.13 @ 05:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think the Japanese factories & builders are considered better than Korea.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

My 2cents.
    A couple years back, a liquidation house got a bunch of inventory from a music store somewhere that went out of business. There were quite a few guitars, some of which included some EXP's. I'd played a few when they first came out, and well...they were nothing like the real Wolfies, but I thought it was cool to check them out some time later with a different perspective. My opinion didn't change.
    Main differences are parts, particularily the bridge.
    The Korean Floyd is cast, which usually means with regular intonation adjustments, they tend to strip out the threads, whereas the Japanese Special is forged. Much more desireable in the durability/sound department.
    The neck feel....a bit debatable as some claim the Japan Fender Special also feels not exactly like the USA Standard.....More input needed there, but the main difference is the Korean neck has no reinforcing rods, and the Japanese made does.
    Bodies....yes both have veneer tops on the "quilted/flame" models, but from what I've experienced is the Korean models fit up and quality of cuts and routes are pretty hit and miss. Some are decent, and others are just horrible.
    Pots are pretty shitty frankly on the Korean models. Just about every one Iv'e played in my local store have scratchy pots that cut out also. Not a great quality on any guitar. OK...you can replace them, but even on some of my early no name import guitars, I've had pots on them that I've saved, and used on future projects, and still use today 15 or 20 yrs. after the fact.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I think the only real compromises on the new EVH Wolfgang Special compared to its USA counterpart is the flat top vs. carved top, veneer top vs. full maple cap, straight headstock vs. tilted headstock, and type of finish. All of the hardware is completely identical. I haven't played either of the EVH Wolfgangs yet (Can you believe that?), but by most accounts the quality control has been decent. The Peavey Wolfgang EXPs were just a defamation of the quality Peavey had put into the USA models.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

awesome feedback guys. I do appreciate it as I love my new Fender special. Ok here is a little digging I just did and came up with this. Correct me if I am wrong.

AT I think you are right. All the hardware (bridge, tuners, pickups, frets and neck other than tilting and non tilting) are the same and the only difference is where it was assembled (Japan) and the body. Basswood with veneer top.

So I guess the only question that begs to be asked is this.... if this is the case and the only difference is the body..... the standard Wolf and the special Wolf are 2 grand apart in price and the only reason is the body and tilt headstock which is not a big deal to me. Wow!!!!! I think now after seeing this I will NEVER buy a standard because I cant see how ANY body is worth 2 grand..... I will just buy a Peavey Wolfgang body (basically the same wood and attention to detail) and put in the Fender hardware and put a fender neck on it. Then I will have a 3K guitar for the price of a special anyways.... about.....

Either way I love the feel, look and most importantly the playability of my Fender special. No its not as good as my EBMM EVH but I tell you what, its about as good as my old Peavey Wolfie standards I used to own.

thanks again guys for your thoughts on this. I look forward to what additional thoughts you may have,

Rob
    Last edited by 5150rob; 02.24.11 at 04:15 AM.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.15.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Hey Rob so the Fender Special is that good? I also thought the samething when they cameout on how could they be 2K cheaper with everything the same except the body carve and binding. I own quite a few Peavey Standards and Specials as well as a couple of EBMM EVHs of which I like certain things better on each model with the Peavey Wolfgangs 15" radius neck probably being my favorite neck on any guitar and prefering it over the 10" of the EVH/Axis.

Funny -like Andrew I have still yet to checkout a Fender,though they are really made in the Jackson CS Wolfgang. I never played an EXP and dont care to but on a side note someone had told me that they never put the re-inforced rods in the neck because they had a finish on them. I have always liked the work Japan did/does on guitars going back to the 80s when I used to buy MIJ Fenders over the US models as they did great work. I never played or saw anything out of Korea that seemed special though I hear PRS has a great factory their.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

Well,

honestly I cant slam the EXP PVs because I have never played one. Like you I have owned 7 or 8 PV Standards through the years and 4 or 5 PV USA specials too and I loved every one of them. The more I play this Fender special I become more attached to it. Of course this can happen with any guitar but this one just feels right. Again...... I like the neck on the PV Standards and the EBMM better but my tobacco Fender special definately has something about it that clicks. Its a great sounding guitar and the action is pretty darn good and the neck is also pretty fast. It is what I play all the time now. One because I love it and two because I am baby-ing my EBMM EVH.

Rob