Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:23 PM
    Liked 283 Times in 151 Posts

Default Kinda considering buying a Wolfgang Special EXP...

So I'm considering buying a Wolfgang EXP, I know a lot of people here will probably tear me a new asshole regarding this...and then some would probably say they are good.

I have a couple questions regarding the EXP if anyone can help me

1. Is the Floyd different than the Floyds on other Wolfgang models? Does it suck?

2. Same pickups?

That's all I've got for now, any help is appreciated. Peace

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Paulsitive View Post
    So I'm considering buying a Wolfgang EXP, I know a lot of people here will probably tear me a new asshole regarding this...and then some would probably say they are good.

I have a couple questions regarding the EXP if anyone can help me

1. Is the Floyd different than the Floyds on other Wolfgang models? Does it suck?

2. Same pickups?

That's all I've got for now, any help is appreciated. Peace
    personally, i never had a problem with them, they are what they are. just don't expect USA build quality and a real quilt top. the Floyd isn't the same as the USA models and i'm pretty sure th pickups are Korean copies of the USA ones, i could be wrong about that.

now i'm going to go and hide under a bed before AT gets in here!!!!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

All of Them
    Last Online

02.22.14 @ 05:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What he said !! Depends on how much you spend on one. Don't buy one for more than $500. I got mine for $220 (a steal) and couldn't be happier with it. Sure it feels different than my USA wolfies but in some ways I enjoy playing it more. It also seems to require less maintainence than my other guitars.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

I got mine new in '02 and I've had zero quality issues with it. It's a cast Floyd and a veneer top, but it plays and sounds great. It feels different than my USA Special, but not necessarily worse. It stays in perfect tune no matter how much abuse I give the Floyd. I don't know why people turn their up their noses to it on these boards. It's a fine axe.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Compared to the USA model Peavey Wolfgang Specials, the EXP is far inferior. They sell for too much used--sometimes more than they did new--all because of their photo-friendly quilt veneer. If you buy an EXP you don't want to spend more than $400. They really are not worth more than that. For $450-$650 you can land a USA Special which has better hardware, better electronics, graphite reinforcements in the neck, and overall they were more consistent one-to-the-next. That being the case, I don't know why anyone who knows better would even consider the EXP.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

My question is WHY???

The main reason why NOT to is inconsistency...

Some may be good, but others are crap...

If you are not in a financial position to buy a US standard, get a special for basically the same $$$ as an EXP...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:52 PM
    Liked 460 Times in 200 Posts

I am still surprised that Ed allowed his name to be on this guitar if they are so inferior to the USA models. Granted they were made in Korea but as "anal" as Ed has always been how and why can he justify the EXP specials? I know the answer is always money, money and more money but he is pretty genuine on his expectations. Why would this be any different? Dont get me wrong I am not trying to slam the Korean specials as I am sure there are some decent ones and for the right price I am sure they are worth it. I just cant understand Ed letting his name be on them with his strict, high and normally excessive expectations.

I never understood this one.

Rob

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

I thought I heard a rumor a few years ago that the EXP's were one of the reason why Ed bailed out on Peavey... I don't know if it's true or not, but it would not surprise me if it was.
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,297 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I thought about buying one and AT and a few others told me to stay away so I trust them and took their advice. After all, if anyone knows about the wolfgang it's folks on the VH links.

Favorite VH Album

All of Them
    Last Online

02.22.14 @ 05:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't arbitrarily dismiss the guitar based on what you hear on this site. Make your own decisions based on "playing" the guitar. If you find one, check it out , it might be crap or it might feel great, then decide how much to pay. Again, anything under $500 is a fair price if you play it first and like it.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by spw5150 View Post
    Don't arbitrarily dismiss the guitar based on what you hear on this site. Make your own decisions based on "playing" the guitar. If you find one, check it out , it might be crap or it might feel great, then decide how much to pay. Again, anything under $500 is a fair price if you play it first and like it.
    agreed and there's nothing stopping you from changing the hardware for better quality items.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.15.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

As of 02 all pups for every Wolfgang was made in Korea which Ed did not find out till a bit later and was already on the way out but he was not too happy about it. That was told to me by a Peavey insider, and we all know the famous story of how he pinned out they changed wood for the 5150 cabinets by his ear and had them go back to the original wood. I would grab a US Special anyday before an EXP, which are still being sold for a grand on the bay.

On Fire
    Last Online

01.16.13 @ 12:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Around here, it's npretty hard to get an American PV Wolgang. When they show up, they cost nearly 1000€ - an EXP never above 500€. So, the EXPs are what you mostly see. I have never heard anyone complaint about one. The luthier that takes deep care of my guitars, when I can't personally fix their problems, told me something that I can actually agree with: PV made those guitars yo loose money. The problem is that people compare them with American-made guitars. I try to see them as a cost/benefit ratio. And they are worth it. They work really well, have a great, nicely shaped neck, the Floyd is not bad at all, stays in tune... Maybe the US models have better tone, but I try to compensate with a nice amp.

Of course, if I had the availability you guys have in the States, I'd rather shoot for the high-end stuff, but considering what is available, I can actually recomend the EXP.

I also completely agree with spw5150's comment.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nhotas View Post
    The problem is that people compare them with American-made guitars.
    Gee, it was called a "Peavey Wolfgang Special" and was made to the same design as the USA version. I wonder why people compare them to the American-made models?

On Fire
    Last Online

01.16.13 @ 12:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    Gee, it was called a "Peavey Wolfgang Special" and was made to the same design as the USA version. I wonder why people compare them to the American-made models?
    Ok, so, I see here a Chevrolet (which bought Daewo), should I compare that to an american made one? I don't, for me those are different cars, regardless of the name.

Sorry, AT, I understand you perspective, but, If the name on the headstock was XPTO EXP model, people would say that it would be "bang for the buck". Since it says "Peavey", people say "it's not as good as an American". I think it's best to place them in different leagues, if I'm making myself clear.

I actually like mine, and, like I said, never seen one that wasn't good. Of course, if I wanted a high-end guitar (not a Peavey), I'd buy some Japanese made guitar.