Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:05 AM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

Loud Buzzing on 5150

You know I keep thinking it's the shitty wiring at our studio that keeps causing this annoying buzz on my amp when I'm not playing. But we switched rooms last night and played in the huge showcase room and it was like worse. BUZZZZZZZ!!! I had to like switch my amp to the clean channel so we could fucking talk between the songs. It was ridiculous. I am not playing through my cab, I never do, I always play through the same Marshall and I have for years there. And yes I have it set on the right OHMS.

Any other ideas? A ground issue maybe? I guess I could set my stuff up here and test it, but it's kind of pain as I keep my cab in the closet in the garage unless we're playing out.

Could it be something on my pedal board? I mean even with the noise gate on, it doesn't even make a dent in stopping it.

I can post actually a sound clip if that would help you guys hear it, we actually recorded it last night.

Gracias.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 280 Times in 134 Posts

Are you near fluorescent lights?.. I have that issue at our drummer's place. It's usually not as bad as you describe, though.

I played this Battle Of The Bands once where I had this awful buzz 1st time I turned on my amp, whcih sat on the stage. Could not figure out what the hell was going on... we couldn't play it was so bad. (Umm, not good for a BOTB!) Turned out there was some heavy-duty wiring under the stage right beneath my amp. Don't remember what was under there, but I moved the amp and it was good.

Just an idea..
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

No they don't have flourescents there, and until maybe a month ago or two it was never like this. Now I have put LED's inside my 5150 to make it look cool, but I did that years ago and it was fine. And I even turned them off last night to see if that was it....nope.

I kept thinking it was the studio but three different rooms now this has happened, and something tells me it's not the studio now. I mean we were in the humungous showcase room and it was worse than ever.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

08.29.14 @ 12:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In all my years of playing, a BUZZ like that usually stems from a ground issue of some sort, or a bad cable along the chain
    If cleanliness were next to Godliness, then that would make you the devil...(CLUTCH)...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Could be a lot of things, assuming grounding/power outlet issues are not causing it -- the most common:

Bad input jack. I've seen quite a few go, especially on the combos. I've replaced 2-3 of them at least. Usually that causes a high pitched and absolutely PAINFUL screeching though, besides the buzzing. Also, you can usually wiggle the cable around or punch the amp and it should change from screeching to buzzing, or go away for a while, so that's probably not it unless you really bashed in your jack.

Bad preamp tube(s). Get a good spare and swap it in for the existing ones, 1 by 1, until it goes away. If it doesn't go away, there's a small chance you have 2 or more bad preamp tubes, but they don't tend to fail all at once.

Bad power tube(s). If you crank the post on the clean channel up to be as loud as your lead channel, do you have the same buzz, or does it disappear or lessen a lot when you switch? If it does go away with the switch with both channels at matched volumes, your power tubes are probably ok.

Semi-broken relays. I doubt this is your problem, unless you've been having problems channel switching the amp -- like where it will hang 'in between' channels every now and then for a while before switching completely.

Try a different guitar, cable, and try removing everything else from your signal chain except guitar->cable->amp->cab if you haven't already.... wouldn't want to tear into the ol' 5150 if something else is messed up.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

My thought was grounding, but I don't really don't think so on that. I think I still had the buzz went I direct in, and not through my pedal board, but damn I can't remember now.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Bad input jack. I've seen quite a few go, especially on the combos. I've replaced 2-3 of them at least. Usually that causes a high pitched and absolutely PAINFUL screeching though, besides the buzzing. Also, you can usually wiggle the cable around or punch the amp and it should change from screeching to buzzing, or go away for a while, so that's probably not it unless you really bashed in your jack.
    Nah not the jack, tried both actually, same result. No screeching or anything either.

Bad preamp tube(s). Get a good spare and swap it in for the existing ones, 1 by 1, until it goes away. If it doesn't go away, there's a small chance you have 2 or more bad preamp tubes, but they don't tend to fail all at once.
    I'll have to get some to try this.

Bad power tube(s). If you crank the post on the clean channel up to be as loud as your lead channel, do you have the same buzz, or does it disappear or lessen a lot when you switch? If it does go away with the switch with both channels at matched volumes, your power tubes are probably ok.
    Same buzz on the clean channel, just not nearly as loud. Maybe they came loose or a bit unseated bouncing around in my car. I didn't think to check them all.

Semi-broken relays. I doubt this is your problem, unless you've been having problems channel switching the amp -- like where it will hang 'in between' channels every now and then for a while before switching completely.
    Nope switching works fine.

Try a different guitar, cable, and try removing everything else from your signal chain except guitar->cable->amp->cab if you haven't already.... wouldn't want to tear into the ol' 5150 if something else is messed up.
    Done it, worse with other guitars actually. In fact darn near unusable with my Warmoth with the EVH Wolfgang pickup in it.

I guess the best thing I can do is hook it up at home and see what happens with my cab.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd say it's preamp tube or building power supply problems then.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 600 Times in 391 Posts

Do you hear buzzing or crackling?

Here's my 5150.
    I haven't used it live in 6 years and it makes crackling and microphonic sounds.

I get Mexican radio at a friends studio when i use my whammy and fuzz factory.
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Brett, in a pinch, I've been able to solve bad pre-amp tube noises in my Marshall by switching the tubes around. In the Marshall, the pre tubes are all the same kind, I don't know if the 5150 is the same. It's weird, but sometimes a tube that is bad in one socket won't be bad in another socket.
    If you can do that with the 5150 and the noise goes away, then I'd get some new tubes just to be on the safe side.

A bad buzzzzzz like that does sound like a ground, though. I hate grounding problems.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Johnny no it's buzzing not crackling. It sounds like yours, only 100x worse.

Here guys listen to this. It's a terrible recording and we sound awful, but it's a song that you can hear it because of all the stops. Takes about :25 for the song to start, we fuck around for a bit, but you can hear it even before I come in. I mean you hear it over everything, and my amp wasn't that close to the middle of the room where the mic was either. Listen to the verses because that's my guitar, the singer doesn't play during them.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Are there any bees in the room where you are playing?

Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok... that sounds like a power supply problem in the place you're playing in.... or a massive grounding problem. Definitely could be a bad preamp tube exaggerating it though.

Right now where I'm living I get the exact same noise all the time, just not as bad. For me it's still super annoying though, since I'm doing recording work with it, so you notice every little buzz.... I'm probably gonna end up rewiring my house....

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Johnny no it's buzzing not crackling. It sounds like yours, only 100x worse.

Here guys listen to this. It's a terrible recording and we sound awful, but it's a song that you can hear it because of all the stops. Takes about :25 for the song to start, we fuck around for a bit, but you can hear it even before I come in. I mean you hear it over everything, and my amp wasn't that close to the middle of the room where the mic was either. Listen to the verses because that's my guitar, the singer doesn't play during them.

Ugh. I get flashbacks of crawling around on the floor checking connections for hours when I hear a sound like that.
    It could be so many things, that it's pointless to guess. One bit of good news: It's usually one single thing that's causing it, and when you find it and fix it, the buzz stops immediately, and you get to enjoy that sweet, sweet silence.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

We've played there for 10 years and I've never had this problem, and our singer who notoriously has feedback and fucked up noises from his amp isn't having this problem either. This leads me to believe it's my amp.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!