Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

06.07.15 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Default Iowa Teenager Doesn't Want to Wrestle With Girls

Girl Wrestler Wins After Boy Won't Face Her
    Wrestler Cassy Herkelman is declared winner after her opponent, Joel Northrup, a favorite in his division, refuses to face her because of her gender. Herkelman is one of the first girls to ever qualify for the Iowa State Wrestling Tournament.

(AP) DES MOINES, Iowa - A standout Iowa high school wrestler refused to compete against a girl at the state tournament on Thursday, relinquishing any chance of becoming a champion because he says wrestling a girl would conflict with his religious beliefs.
    Joel Northrup, a home-schooled sophomore who was 35-4 wrestling for Linn-Mar High School this season, praised his first-round opponent, Cedar Falls freshman Cassy Herkelman, and Ottumwa sophomore Megan Black, who became the first two girls to make the state wrestling tournament in its 85-year history.

But in a news release, he said he defaulted on his match with Herkelman because he doesn't think boys and girls should compete in the sport.

"I have a tremendous amount of respect for Cassy and Megan and their accomplishments. However, wrestling is a combat sport and it can get violent at times," said Northrup. "As a matter of conscience and my faith I do not believe that it is appropriate for a boy to engage a girl in this manner. It is unfortunate that I have been placed in a situation not seen in most other high school sports in Iowa."

There were several thousand fans at Wells Fargo Arena on Thursday, but many were watching other matches when the referee raised Herkelman's hand to signal her win. There was a smattering of cheers and boos from the crowd before Herkelman was whisked into the bowels of the arena.

Tournament organizers declined to make Herkelman available for questions. She entered the tournament with a 20-13 record and will wrestle Friday in the quarterfinals of the 112-pound weight class.

Her father, Bill Herkelman, told The Associated Press via text message that he understands and respects Northrup's decision.

"It's nice to get the first win and have her be on the way to the medal round," Bill Herkelman wrote. "I sincerely respect the decision of the Northrup family especially since it was made on the biggest stage in wrestling. I have heard nothing but good things about the Northrup family and hope Joel does very well the remainder of the tourney."

Because he defaulted and didn't forfeit, Northrup was allowed to compete in the consolation rounds, and he won his first match later Thursday by major decision.

He was spared any chance of meeting up with Black, who also wrestles at 112 pounds and was 25-13 entering the tournament, when she was eliminated after being pinned in both of her matches. But it's possible Northrup and Herkelman could be matched again if both make the finals of the consolation bracket.

Northrup's father, Jamie Northrup, is a minister in the Believers in Grace Fellowship, an independent Pentecostal church in Marion that believes young men and women shouldn't touch in a "familiar way," said Bill Randles, the church's pastor.

"We believe in the elevation and respect of woman and we don't think that wrestling a woman is the right thing to do. Body slamming and takedowns, that full contact sport is not how to do that."

Randles said Joel has been involved in wrestling for many years, and he and his family have discussed before the possibility of girls getting involved in the sport.

"It's totally his choice. He's a young man now and he's worked hard to get where he's gotten. It's up to him, and it was his conviction" not to wrestle Herkelman.

Black said Northrup refused to wrestle her three years ago, and that she respects him for adhering to his beliefs.

"If it's his religion and he's strong in his religion, then I just respect that," Black said. "Obviously, everyone can be pointing fingers at him. He, at least, is true to his beliefs and you have to respect that. It takes a lot for a 15- or 16-year-old boy to do."

Marth Stetzel, a Perry mother whose two sons were taking part in the tournament, said she also didn't have a problem with Northrup's decision.

"We're really raising kids that are going to be bigger than wrestling, and if it's something that he believes strongly in which is not necessarily what I would do you've got to respect a kid like that," Stetzel said.

Wrestling is extremely popular in Iowa, and Black and Herkelman are the first girls to qualify for the state tournament since it was first sanctioned by the Iowa High School Athletic Association in 1926.

According to the National Federation of State High School Associations, more than 6,000 girls competed in wrestling in 2009-10 compared with nearly 275,000 boys. Though most states require girls to wrestle boys, California, Hawaii, Texas, Washington and Tennessee sponsor girls-only high school wrestling tournaments.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I bet the real reason was that he didn't want to get his ass kicked by a girl.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:58 AM
    Liked 6,712 Times in 3,730 Posts

not sure how i feel about this story. I don't have a huge issue with the school allowing girls to compete yet i have no problem with the young man not wanting to wrestle her. No easy answer on this.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,243 Times in 1,359 Posts

both of those girls were eliminated in the very next round....Herkleman was supposed to have a 20-13 record...I wonder how many of those 20 wins were defaults

hmm...since this sport involves much more intimate contact than, say, basketball, I wonder if this is really fair

there should be a better way

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    both of those girls were eliminated in the very next round....Herkleman was supposed to have a 20-13 record...I wonder how many of those 20 wins were defaults

hmm...since this sport involves much more intimate contact than, say, basketball, I wonder if this is really fair

there should be a better way
    A women's division, maybe?

Let's see...teenage girls with great bodies, wearing skin-tight clothes and wrestling each other.

That could sell more tickets than an Ohio State football game!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Kudos to the guy for having morals and sticking to them...i would feel very uncomfortable wrestling a female, i'm not affraid of getting my ass kicked, it's happened more than once, i just wouldn't feel right forcing a female to the ground and pinning her down and i'm sure many guys may feel the same.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 01:06 PM
    Liked 727 Times in 402 Posts

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:38 AM
    Liked 1,352 Times in 928 Posts

I never wrestled beyond what we had to do in gym class, but I just don't see how girls can compete on the same team as boys. I imagine the wrestling coach is male and I don't see how he could demonstrate moves with her that would include touching that would be deemed inappropriate if it wasn't under the banner of "wrestling".

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:50 AM
    Liked 1,027 Times in 502 Posts

I'd be afraid of getting wood

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,243 Times in 1,359 Posts

so someone finally mentioned the obvious! LOL

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Sound Magazine
    Favorite VH Song

I Think I Love You
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rokgtar View Post
    Better than getting wood when wrestling a guy.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

04.28.16 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I respect the guys morale stance and final decision on that matter. Unfortunately it wouldn't surprise me if some Woman's movement comes out and tries to stir up something because of it(Not a bash against Woman's rights of anything here)The guy felt uncomfortable about getting physical with a female because of his upbringing, I was brought up the same way, you never ever get physical with a woman. I applaud him for standing up for his beliefs even if it did knock him out of the tournament or whatever the outcome may have been. It's a rare thing these days for someone to stand up for what they believe over recognition.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    not sure how i feel about this story. I don't have a huge issue with the school allowing girls to compete yet i have no problem with the young man not wanting to wrestle her. No easy answer on this.
    I respect his decision too and offer my services as his understudy.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:58 AM
    Liked 6,712 Times in 3,730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    I respect his decision too and offer my services as his understudy.
    this would be a good time for me to remind you that the girl is 14.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    this would be a good time for me to remind you that the girl is 14.
    Giggity.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rokgtar View Post
    What you do is get an erection right before the match. Make sure she sees it. She'll forfeit. You win.

Welcome to DIFLogic.
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."