Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

Default Pennsylvania teacher suspended when her brutally honest blog is uncovered

hey, she kept this anonymous and didn't identify herself, her students or her school by name

and I'm sure a lot of teachers out there are identifying with her

sometimes people just can't handle the truth

Pa. teacher strikes nerve with 'lazy whiners' blog

By PATRICK WALTERS, Associated Press – Wed Feb 16, 3:46 pm ET
    FEASTERVILLE, Pa. – A high school English teacher in suburban Philadelphia who was suspended for a profanity-laced blog in which she called her young charges "disengaged, lazy whiners" is driving a debate by daring to ask: Why are today's students unmotivated — and what's wrong with calling them out?
    As she fights to keep her job at Central Bucks East High School, 30-year-old Natalie Munroe says she had no interest in becoming any sort of educational icon. The blog has been taken down, but its contents can still be found easily online.

Her comments and her suspension by the middle-class school district have clearly touched a nerve, with scores of online commenters applauding her for taking a tough love approach or excoriating her for verbal abuse. Media attention has rained down, and backers have started a Facebook group.
    "My students are out of control," Munroe, who has taught 10th, 11th and 12th grades, wrote in one post. "They are rude, disengaged, lazy whiners. They curse, discuss drugs, talk back, argue for grades, complain about everything, fancy themselves entitled to whatever they desire, and are just generally annoying."

And in another post, Munroe — who is more than eight months pregnant — quotes from the musical "Bye Bye Birdie": "Kids! They are disobedient, disrespectful oafs. Noisy, crazy, sloppy, lazy LOAFERS." She also listed some comments she wished she could post on student evaluations, including: "I hear the trash company is hiring"; "I called out sick a couple of days just to avoid your son"; and "Just as bad as his sibling. Don't you know how to raise kids?"

Munroe did not use her full name or identify her students or school in the blog, which she started in August 2009 for friends and family. Last week, she said, students brought it to the attention of the school, which suspended her with pay.

"They get angry when you ask them to think or be creative," Munroe said of her students in an interview with The Associated Press on Tuesday. "The students are not being held accountable."

Munroe pointed out that she also said positive things, but she acknowledges that she did write some things out of frustration — and of a feeling that many kids today are being given a free pass at school and at home.

"Parents are more trying to be their kids' friends and less trying to be their parent," Munroe said, also noting students' lack of patience. "They want everything right now. They want it yesterday."

One of Munroe's former students, who now attends McDaniel College in Westminster, Md., said he was torn by his former teacher's comments. Jeff Shoolbraid said that he thought much of what Munroe said was true and that she had a right to voice her opinion, but felt her comments were out of line for a teacher. "Whatever influenced her to say what she did is evidence as to why she simply should not teach," Shoolbraid wrote in an e-mail to the AP. "I just thought it was completely inappropriate." He continued: "As far as motivated high school students, she's completely correct. High school kids don't want to do anything. ... It's a teacher's job, however, to give students the motivation to learn."

A spokesman for the Pennsylvania State Education Association declined to comment Tuesday because he said the group may represent Munroe. Messages left for the Central Bucks School District superintendent were not returned.

Sandi Jacobs, vice president of the National Council on Teacher Quality, said school districts are navigating uncharted territory when it comes to teachers' online behavior. Often, districts want teachers to have more contact with students and their families, yet give little guidance on how teachers should behave online even as students are more plugged in than they've ever been.
    "This is really murky stuff," she said. "When you have a teacher using their blog to berate their students, maybe that's a little less murky. But the larger issue is, I think, districts are totally unprepared to deal with this."
    Munroe has hired an attorney, who said that she had the right to post her thoughts on the blog and that it's a free speech issue. The attorney, Steven Rovner, said the district has led Munroe to believe that she will eventually lose her job.

"She could have been any person, any teacher in America writing about their lives," he said, pointing out that Munroe blogged about 85 times and that only about 15 to 20 of the posts involved her being a teacher. "It's honest and raw and a little edgy depending on your taste. ... She has a deep frustration for the educational system in America." Rovner said that he would consider legal action if indeed Munroe loses her job. "She did it as carefully as she could," he said about her blog. "It's so general that it applies to the problems in school districts and schools across the country."
    ___
    Associated Press writer Dorie Turner in Atlanta contributed to this report.
    Last edited by Daisy Hill; 02.18.11 at 07:15 AM.

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Yeah, that's an easy one!
    Last Online

02.16.16 @ 12:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Over medicated kids...punk asses...lazy parents...yup. We're headed for quite a reality check as these kids try to enter the real world - where, hopefully, things won't just get handed to them, and people won't coddle them... I don't blame the teacher. They can only do so much. Education / manners / motivation starts at home. Parents need to get this back into their thick fucking skulls.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Teachers / parents / authority figures have to tiptoe around kids these days, in fear of too much yelling, or an occasional (appropriate) smack might get them in trouble with the law. We need to go back, in some ways, to the pre-politically correct era, where parents (and teachers, etc.) could enforce their authority (appropriately). Instead, kids know they can't...and they play it. I know I would've as a kid, too!!!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

promote her to secretary of education!

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

I'm behind this teacher 100%. Sick of fucking teenagers and this warped sense of entitlement they have.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kula View Post
    Teachers / parents / authority figures have to tiptoe around kids these days, in fear of too much yelling, or an occasional (appropriate) smack might get them in trouble with the law. We need to go back, in some ways, to the pre-politically correct era, where parents (and teachers, etc.) could enforce their authority (appropriately). Instead, kids know they can't...and they play it. I know I would've as a kid, too!!!
    Parents went too far in the opposite direction along with the child psycologists who say that basically everything except talking to a child is wrong and damaging. You don't have to beat a child to get their attention but a little smack on the butt after time outs, etc have not worked does get an attitude adjustment . Some kids may never need it but some kids do. It's up to the parent to be intelligent enough to make that assessment. It's also up to the parent to know there is a difference between getting their attention and stripping them naked to throw in a cold shower. Unfortunately, teachers are caught in the middle of having to deal with these children.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:22 PM
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

can't say i'm shocked. We're living in a pretty horrible time for parenting. Teachers are so worried about how things look that they have to tip toe around some of the human garbage they are forced to teach.

I spent a couple of hours in my wife's grade 3 class and I wanted to throw some kids out a window. And I love kids.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    promote her to secretary of education!
    Amen

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Well, I'm a high school English teacher myself. I can identify with everything she said. I love my job and I do my absolute best to motivate my students and make learning fun and interesting. I'm also a big proponent of challenging students to explore and learn who they are, what interests them, what gets them excited, what they are passionate about, to have an informed opinion about a lot of things. I put these ideas into my daily lessons and I think I'm a pretty good teacher; however, at some point the student must be held accountable for his/her own learning. A student has to meet me half way. I am willing to teach, willing to help, but are you willing to learn? I too am tired of students who do not want to get out of bed in the morning, who do not submit assignments, who do not read, who do not want to think or express an idea, and then complain about poor grades. When I look in the mirror I know I am doing my very best, I know that in my gut. I work hard for my students. In the twelve years I've been doing this I really do feel like I'm losing the battle...things are getting worse, not better. Young people just do not seem interested in ANYTHING except their damn Blackberries. I don't know how we've gotten to this point in society. Perhaps poor parenting is the biggest reason. Trust me, I've seen and experienced things with parents that keep me from sleeping at night. There really are people who should not be allowed to reproduce.

Having said that, there really are a lot of good kids out there too. I don't mean to suggest that ALL kids are like this...but there are too many, so many that I am not always hopeful for what the future will bring. If today's youth are our future, then I am genuinely concerned for that future.

I'm also wondering as I write this...if my employer reads this, am I going to be suspended too? Ms. Munroe has every right to express her opinions, as uncomfortable as they may make us feel. I have a right to express my ideas here and elsewhere. We should be having more conversations like this everywhere, especially in schools. There is something wrong with many of our young people today. We are doing them a great injustice if we do not have these discussions openly.

I've got a lot more I could say, and I don't want to ramble or preach. I thought I would share some of my experience as a teacher. What Ms. Munroe says is real and her experiences are common to many, many teachers.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

I say they bring back corporal punishment.

And I'm only half kidding.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    Well, I'm a high school English teacher myself. I can identify with everything she said. I love my job and I do my absolute best to motivate my students and make learning fun and interesting. I'm also a big proponent of challenging students to explore and learn who they are, what interests them, what gets them excited, what they are passionate about, to have an informed opinion about a lot of things. I put these ideas into my daily lessons and I think I'm a pretty good teacher; however, at some point the student must be held accountable for his/her own learning. A student has to meet me half way. I am willing to teach, willing to help, but are you willing to learn? I too am tired of students who do not want to get out of bed in the morning, who do not submit assignments, who do not read, who do not want to think or express an idea, and then complain about poor grades. When I look in the mirror I know I am doing my very best, I know that in my gut. I work hard for my students. In the twelve years I've been doing this I really do feel like I'm losing the battle...things are getting worse, not better. Young people just do not seem interested in ANYTHING except their damn Blackberries. I don't know how we've gotten to this point in society. Perhaps poor parenting is the biggest reason. Trust me, I've seen and experienced things with parents that keep me from sleeping at night. There really are people who should not be allowed to reproduce.

Having said that, there really are a lot of good kids out there too. I don't mean to suggest that ALL kids are like this...but there are too many, so many that I am not always hopeful for what the future will bring. If today's youth are our future, then I am genuinely concerned for that future.

I'm also wondering as I write this...if my employer reads this, am I going to be suspended too? Ms. Munroe has every right to express her opinions, as uncomfortable as they may make us feel. I have a right to express my ideas here and elsewhere. We should be having more conversations like this everywhere, especially in schools. There is something wrong with many of our young people today. We are doing them a great injustice if we do not have these discussions openly.

I've got a lot more I could say, and I don't want to ramble or preach. I thought I would share some of my experience as a teacher. What Ms. Munroe says is real and her experiences are common to many, many teachers.
    I will raise a glass (or 3) to you tonight. You have a tough job, and one that does not look to get easier any time soon. You mold our future. It is not your sole responsibility, but many parents sure pretend it is. They treat school as if it were a daycare, and couldn't give two shits about what their kids do or learn...but when the bad grades come in, it's somehow your fault, and not their precious, over-medicated, disrespectful, arrogant, selfish, self-absorbed, hormonal, obnoxious, better-than-you, child.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    I say they bring back corporal punishment.

And I'm only half kidding.
    I agree...

And - when parents start to remember it is THEIR jobs to make sure their children are respectful and go to school with the expectation and readiness to be educated, the world will be a much better place. Parents should be siding with TEACHERS when issues come up, and not defending their lazy spawn....................

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:35 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Has any school tried to ban cell phones and other form of electronica?

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:35 PM
    Liked 6,845 Times in 3,583 Posts

Premium Member

Excellent post vhin04, and very well written. Thanks for all that you do, to help these kids along.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Has any school tried to ban cell phones and other form of electronica?
    Most schools already have bans on cell phones...but if 1400 students ALL have them then it is virtually impossible to confiscate all of them or punish all 1400 students, so it becomes a game of managing when students use them, when to put them away etc, but it's a constant struggle and a source of conflict in the classroom. Most kids put them away when told to, but there are conflicts that arise on a regular basis. Most parents want their kids to have them so they can reach them any time they want. I once had a girl answer her phone in the middle of class, in the middle of me teaching the class. I asked her for the phone, she said but it's my mother I'm allowed to answer it. I took the phone and spoke to the mother in front of the class and scolded the parent for interfering with my teaching...she got pretty upset and complained to the Principal about me (luckily he backed me up). It's a never ending battle though and I've seen good teachers reach the limit of their patience and snap. It's happened to me too, at some point your patience runs out.

What's really interesting is when you take a student's cell phone away. It's like watching a junkie shaking for a fix. I've had kids in tears, real tears, when their phone gets confiscated. I've seen kids sitting in their seats, scratching at themselves and pulling at their hair, moaning, because they have been separated from their phones. It's almost surreal to see normally good kids become unravelled when they can't have their phones.