Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:27 PM
    Liked 602 Times in 392 Posts

Default Robbie Krieger from The Doors on Eddie Van Halen.

Grammys 2011 - Robbie Krieger on Eddie Van Halen & Rock's Greatest Guitarists and Solos.
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible to name only one
    Last Online

01.08.17 @ 09:19 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

He thinks Van Halen is underrated? Since when?

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by VHwasCoolestWithDLR View Post
    He thinks Van Halen is underrated? Since when?
    You have to remember he did ALOT of acid.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Robbie Krieger, there's a name I haven't heard in many years. He was always the quiet guy who never got noticed, an interesting approach to the guitar. I've always loved the Doors, never suspected Robbie was a Van Halen fan. Funny that he couldn't remember the name of Eruption "what's that thing called?" lol

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Haha! I think he meant it in a broader scope. To all of us, VH are the benchmark, but I've run into quite a few people over the years who feel Ed is a one trick pony, and VH as a band, to me have been described as "just another hair band" an 80's party band" or "pop metal". none of which I think apply as an accurate blanket description. They did do songs that reflected the period they were in, and yeah, they wore the same god awful clothes sometimes, but who didn't? Krieger's pretty cool though. As a side note, I met Ray Manzerek years ago, like 92, I think it was, back stage at the Orpheum Theatre. Now THERE"S a guy who should have been a casualty of the sixties, but he kind of seemed like an accountant. He was a real nice together guy though. I'd love to sit down with Robby and talk about all the shit he's seen and done over the years. That would be some wild shit.
    Last edited by we die young; 02.16.11 at 07:43 AM.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:41 PM
    Liked 1,970 Times in 448 Posts

Donor

I agree with Robby. Even though VH has always been hugely popular, and even though Eddie Van Halen is arguably the most popular living guitar player, I have always thought that VH was underrated.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.20.16 @ 05:31 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I totally see where Robbie Krieger is coming from when he says that Eddie Van Halen is underrated. Like some of you mentioned, Eddie is the best to us Van Halen fans but to the broader audience it's a different story.

I actually realized this to be true around the late 90"s early 2000's when a co-worker told me that her husband who is a police officer was going to be at a golfing benefit fundraiser and Eddie Van Halen was one of the celebrities that was expected to be there. So I asked her if she could ask her husband to see about getting me an autograph or something. The weekend passed and come Monday morning, I asked my co-worker if her husband was able to meet Eddie. She looked at me kinda funny and said that when she asked her husband , he told her that he was not going to ask to get an autograph from some "air supply has-been guy". That so ticked me off when she told me that and at that moment I came to the sad reality that Van Halen is the last of a dying breed. Long live the King......... EDDIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggie View Post
    I totally see where Robbie Krieger is coming from when he says that Eddie Van Halen is underrated. Like some of you mentioned, Eddie is the best to us Van Halen fans but to the broader audience it's a different story.

I actually realized this to be true around the late 90"s early 2000's when a co-worker told me that her husband who is a police officer was going to be at a golfing benefit fundraiser and Eddie Van Halen was one of the celebrities that was expected to be there. So I asked her if she could ask her husband to see about getting me an autograph or something. The weekend passed and come Monday morning, I asked my co-worker if her husband was able to meet Eddie. She looked at me kinda funny and said that when she asked her husband , he told her that he was not going to ask to get an autograph from some "air supply has-been guy". That so ticked me off when she told me that and at that moment I came to the sad reality that Van Halen is the last of a dying breed. Long live the King......... EDDIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Interesting you mention that. When I first read this thread, an online poll that was posted here in Golf Digest or something was posted and came to mind.
    It was who is the best guitarist (yes...in a golf magazine).
    You were given a number of choices, and you were to click beside the name.

I don't have the link, but it was like this:

Jimi Hendrix -
    George Harrison-
    Eric Clapton-
    Chet Atkins-
    Pete Townsend.... etc. Then it got to Eddie Van Halen, and it included this: "Just for a Laughs".

When I read that, I thought "Are you fucking kidding me?????"
    There were other choices by the way, and honestly some of them were so laughable it bordered on absurdity.
    The Eddie crack though......Couldn't believe it. As far as I'm concerned, he carried on where Hendrix left off, and took the guitar to the limits. Period.
    His style, technique, and mechanical innovations are things we take for granted today.
    The way I see it Eddie was the bridge between classic and modern styles in guitar based music. He didn't invent techniques like two hand tapping, but he brought it in to rock where it hadn't been before. Up till then it was a kind of obscure jazz technique....and don't get me started on his slap/tapping technique on Mean Street......Pure innovation. he took something that could sound frankly real mamby pamby, and turned it into a mind blowing audio assault!
    Last edited by we die young; 02.16.11 at 12:55 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

Underrated, that's a bit extreme for someone who was on the cover of guitar world like 15 times!

Alex Lifeson, that's an underrated guy.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post

Alex Lifeson, that's an underrated guy.
    no trust me. He's not.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Well there's lots of people who see EVH as a bit of a joke. I don't mean with his alcoholism or any of his personal issues, I mean the perception that a lot of casual rock fans have of him...the hair, the funny clothes, the striped guitars and so on. Diamond Dave and his clown prince routine in his younger years for sure contributed to this public perception. To a lot of rock fans, VH is nothing but a party band that turned into a pop rock band when they changed singers. Eddie is just the guy that does that funny thing with his fingers and plays the funny guitars. I get this all the time from people when they ask me what I'm into, I just don't have the interest any more to try and explain it to them.

For me, there are only 2 game changers when it comes to rock guitar players...Jimi and EVH. Lots of guys are amazingly talented, and I don't mean to slag any other guitar players past or present (Page's studio innovations might deserve as much credit here). I ain't really into comparing guitarists, like this dude is better than that dude...but really, these are the only 2 guys who completely changed the way people approached the instrument. Eddie has been awfully prolific, sure not in the last 20 years, but from 1975-1990 he cranked out a helluva a lot of awesome music and guitar innovation. 6 albums and 6 world tours in 7 years? I don't think even a young Keith Richards could handle that pace, amazing he's still with us really, even pretty healthy these days.

So from that perspective, you could say EVH is at least under-appreciated. Certainly misunderstood by lots of people who should know better.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 33 Times in 13 Posts

I disagree, I don't think Eddie is thought of as a joke by anyone really today. His musical legacy was cemented. Everyone who is at least somewhat knowledgable about music and its history at least respects his contributions. And funny clothes/hair? One might say Hendrix dressed like a gay clown at times, but no one can question his musical legacy
    Last edited by ZORBA5150; 02.16.11 at 04:38 PM.
    Wolfie is not Mike, but he's more than ok.
    Mike is gone, but not forgotten. They played some amazing shows from 2007-2015; some people are in denial about it.

9/27/07- Charlotte, NC
    10/1/07- Philadelphia, PA
    10/20/07- Detroit, NI
    11/3/07- Meadowlands, NJ
    11/13/07- The Garden

05/13/08- Meadowlands, NJ II!!!!!

2/28/12- The Garden
    3/1/12- The Garden
    4/21/12- Greensboro,NC

8/9/15- Holmdel, NJ
    9/13/15- Tampa, FL

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:36 PM
    Liked 1,945 Times in 788 Posts

Premium Member

Not that it matters, but when Eddie shows up at #70 of the all-time greatest guitarists according to Rolling Stone, hell yeah he's underrated.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Liked 342 Times in 192 Posts

I agree with Krieger and only that 'under-appreciated' is more accurate. Eddie just
    doesn't rate with a lot of rock fans and musicians that I know. Slash gets more
    recognition anymore. But that kind of wider perception can ebb and flow over
    time, especially with people who didn't live through the experience firsthand.
    I can recall a time in the 80s where Hendrix was regarded as pasè by
    a lot of musicians, including myself. I took me a while to come around get
    what the big deal was with him.
    Last edited by E-roc; 02.17.11 at 02:01 AM.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Interesting that he mentions John Coltrane. Dwayne Allman and Derek Trucks have also mentioned the Jazz great as influences. Perhaps there's something about slide guitar and Coltrane's horn....
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."