Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

Default Egyptian Revolution!

A salute and appreciation for the heroic Egyptian people's Revolution!

From CNN.com:
    [Update 7:43 p.m. in Cairo, 12:43 ET] A high-ranking Egyptian military official said that discussions were under way in the Supreme Council about dismissing Mubarak's government and parliament and the timing for elections. The source said an announcement was expected later Friday.
    [Update 7:34 p.m. in Cairo, 12:34 p.m. ET] Opposition figure Mohamed ElBaradei, a diplomat and Nobel laureate, said in remarks to Al Jazeera that he believes it could take a year for the people and army to lay the necessary groundwork for presidential and parliamentary elections.
    He added that he doesn't foresee Egyptians growing impatient during the process because they endured Mubarak's rule for 30 years.
    "This is a dream I have been wishing to see for the last 30 years, and it's an amazing feeling," he told the station.
    ElBaradei dismissed the notion that the Mubarak regime should immediately be held accountable for any misdeeds, saying, "We will have a lot of daunting tasks ahead of us." The priority, he said, should be to "make sure the country is restored," politically and economically.
    His parting message to his countrymen: "You have gained your liberty. You have gained your right to catch up with the rest of the world. Make the best of it."
    [Update 7:30 p.m. in Cairo, 12:30 p.m. ET] Vice President Joe Biden said the developments in Egypt mark a day of "historic change" and "dramatic change," and called this "a pivotal moment in history."
    The future of Egypt will be determined by the Egyptian people, he said.
    [Update 7:21 p.m. in Cairo, 12:21 p.m. ET] CNN iReporter Johnny Colt says the people at a coffee shop in Jordan didn't like the news out of Egypt. Follow this link to find out why.
    [Update 7:06 p.m. in Cairo, 12:06 p.m. ET] Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nevada, issued a statement urging a peaceful transition of power for the longtime U.S. ally.
    "I am pleased that President Mubarak has heard and heeded the voice of the Egyptian people, who have called for change," Reid said. But "it is crucial that Mubarak's departure be an orderly one and that it leads to true democracy for Egypt, including free, fair and open elections."
    "We caution all sides against violence during this transition," he added.
    [Update 7:03 p.m. in Cairo, 12:03 p.m. ET] Egyptian protest leader Wael Ghonim told CNN Friday the real heroes of the revolution are the young Egyptians in Tahrir Square and the rest of the country.
    [Update 6:49 p.m. in Cairo, 11:49 a.m. ET] Amre Moussa, the secretary-general of the Arab League, told CNN that Egyptians are "looking forward to a different future" and hoping for "a better future."
    [Update 6:45 p.m. in Cairo, 11:45 a.m. ET] Fireworks exploded in the sky and people honked horns as the celebration of Mubarak's resignation continued 45 minutes after the announcement, CNN's Ivan Watson reported from Cairo's Tahrir Square.
    [Update 6:43 p.m. in Cairo, 11:43 a.m. ET] Egyptian protest leader Wael Ghonim sent out a Twitter message saying "congratulations Egypt the criminal has left the palace."
    [Update 6:38 p.m. in Cairo, 11:38 a.m. ET] President Obama was informed of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak's decision to step down during a meeting in the Oval Office. Obama then watched TV coverage of the scene in Cairo for several minutes. He will make an on-camera statement later today.
    [Update 6:36 p.m. in Cairo, 11:36 a.m. ET] The Supreme Council of the Armed Forces, which has been put in charge of Egypt's affairs, is expected to make an announcement shortly.

Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak resigned Friday, relinquishing power after three decades of iron-clad rule in the powerhouse nation of the Arab world.
    Vice President Omar Suleiman announced the resignation on state television and said he was transferring authority to the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces to "run the affairs of the country."
    Tens of thousands of emotional anti-government protesters erupted in deafening cheers on the streets of Cairo after the announcement.
    "Egypt is free!" they chanted.
    It was a moment anti-government protesters had been waiting for after 18 days of relentless demonstrations that called for Mubarak's departure.
    U.S. President Barack Obama said he was notified of Mubarak's decision Friday morning and was closely watching the extraordinary developments unfold in Egypt, a key U.S. ally. He will make a statement Friday afternoon, the White House said.
    A source with close connections to Persian Gulf government leaders told CNN that Mubarak had gone to the Red Sea resort town of Sharm el-Sheikh.
    Little Dreamer

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 05:31 PM
    Liked 340 Times in 191 Posts

I was coming from the elevator when I tumbled into some Egyptians here running through the streets with flags and chanting, and all I could do upon recognition of said flags and chanting and that they had "Egypt" scrawled on their arms for the slow-witted, was raise my beer with a wink and twinkling smile.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:52 PM
    Liked 780 Times in 375 Posts

Premium Member

Watched closely as events unfolded over the past 20 or so days. Bye Mubarak. Today the people of Egypt won. We'll see about tomorrow. Now into the great unknown for Egypt,, and the rest of the world for that matter. Hope it works out for everyone.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 2,382 Times in 1,486 Posts

Premium Member

Can the US Taxpayers get that 70 billion back we gave this guy for the last 30 years. I hear he stached most of it in Swiss Banks? I don't like the bastard for that but he has kept the peace with Isreal and kept the Suez Canal open. Too bad most of his people live in total poverty. I pray that a pro western government will be elected however I lived though the Iran thing and saw the Jihadists take over.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Let's hope no crazy psycho group takes over and ruins this revolution. (ie Iran 1979)
    Your favorite band sucks.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

"Now,
    Let my people go, Land of Goshen!
    Go,
    I will be with thee, bush of fire!"

Sorry...been listening to a lot of Metallica lately.

I am excited for the people of Egypt! I pray for them, that a true, secular democratic republic is put in place, takes hold, and thrives, thereby spreading to other nations in the area.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Marc View Post
    "Now,
    Let my people go, Land of Goshen!
    Go,
    I will be with thee, bush of fire!"
    lol

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

Premium Member

Mubarak slammed U.S. in phone call with Israeli lawmaker

"He had very tough things to say about the United States," said Ben-Eliezer, a member of the center-left Labor Party who has held talks with Mubarak on numerous occasions while serving in various Israeli coalition governments.

"He gave me a lesson in democracy and said: 'We see the democracy the United States spearheaded in Iran and with Hamas, in Gaza, and that's the fate of the Middle East,'" Ben-Eliezer said.

"'They may be talking about democracy but they don't know what they're talking about and the result will be extremism and radical Islam,'" he quoted Mubarak as saying.

U.S. support for pro-democracy elements in Iran has not led to regime change in the Islamic Republic, and Hamas, a group Washington considers to be a terrorist organization, won a 2006 Palestinian election promoted by the United States.

Hamas seized control of the Gaza Strip in 2007 after a coalition government it formed with Western-backed Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas collapsed in a power struggle.

"SNOWBALL" OF UNREST

In Washington, U.S. Vice President Joe Biden hailed Mubarak's exit from power as a "pivotal moment" for the Middle East and insisted Egypt's democratic transition must be irreversible.

Ben-Eliezer said Mubarak expanded in the telephone call on "what he expects will happen in the Middle East after his fall."

"He contended the snowball (of civil unrest) won't stop in Egypt and it wouldn't skip any Arab country in the Middle East and in the Gulf.

"He said 'I won't be surprised if in the future you see more extremism and radical Islam and more disturbances -- dramatic changes and upheavals," Ben-Eliezer added.

Egypt in 1979 became the first Arab country to sign a peace treaty with Israel and has backed U.S.-led efforts to end the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

Last week, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned of an Iran-style Islamist revolution in Egypt should Mubarak's Muslim Brotherhood rivals eventually take over.

"(Mubarak) was looking for an honorable way out," Ben-Eliezer said.

"He repeated the sentence, 'I have been serving my country, Egypt, for 61 years. Do they want me to run away? I won't run away. Do they want to throw me out? I won't leave. If need be, I will be killed here.'"

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...71A64V20110211

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:37 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Egypt's revolution redefines what's possible in the Arab world

The Middle East has been riveted by the success of the grass-roots revolution that ended Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak's 30-year reign.

By Scott Peterson, Staff writer
    posted February 11, 2011 at 6:51 pm EST
    Baghdad —

As darkness fell over the winter-chilled Middle East on Friday, television screens lit up living rooms from Tehran to Damascus to Rabat. All eyes were riveted by the spectacle that just weeks ago seemed impossible: the toppling of Egypt’s President Hosni Mubarak after nearly 30 years in power.

The collapse in Egypt took just 18 days of bold protest, inspired by the overthrow of Tunisia’s long-standing strongman just weeks before.

For Arabs used to a heavy hand and little hope, Egypt’s revolution has redefined the possible, before their very eyes.

“Everyone is watching this – hundreds of millions of Arabs, Muslims, and who knows who else?” says Shadi Hamid, the director of research at the Brookings Doha Center, speaking from Cairo.

“The Arab world is never going to go back to what it was. We are going to wake up to a new Egypt tomorrow, and we’ll also wake up to a new Arab world,” says Mr. Hamid.

“What has changed is that Arabs know that they can change their own situation without the help of the US, without the help of the international community, they can just go out on the streets and do it on their own – and no one can take that away from them,” he says.

Across the region, Arabs have watched transformative events unfold day after day, first in Tunisia where a single self-immolation in protest in mid-December sparked weeks of demonstrations and finally regime change.

Then Egyptians began gathering strength on the streets, battled Mr. Mubarak’s security forces, clung on in Tahrir Square in the face of mob attacks, and then simply took over when the regime began losing its ability to control or intimidate the crowds.

“On the psychological and symbolic level, it is a shattering moment,” says Fawaz Gerges, director of the Middle East Centre at the London School of Economics. “Remember that Mubarak was the public face of political authoritarianism in the Arab world. He had built one of the most feared security apparatuses, employing five million personnel.”

The forced exit of Mubarak from the presidential palace has sent shock waves to Arab rulers. “Every village. Every neighborhood. Every Arab regardless of how poor, or alienated or marginalized, [now has] a sense of empowerment, a sense of revival,” says Mr. Gerges. “The psychology of the Arab world has changed.”
    'Bellwether for the region'

The Arab world was the place where change was once measured in decades, where authoritarian leaders like Saddam Hussein would seize power and hold their populations in abeyance for a generation at a time.

President Obama spoke to that timeline in remarks also broadcast on Egyptian TV and across the Arab world. “Egypt has played a pivotal role in human history for over 6,000 years. But over the last few weeks the wheel of history turned at a blinding pace as the Egyptian people demanded their universal rights," he said.

“[W]e saw a new generation emerge, a generation that uses their own creativity and talent and technology to call for a government that represented their hopes and not their fears,” Mr. Obama said. “A government that is responsive to their boundless aspirations.”

Mubarak was one of those who signified fear, his Pharaonic edifice kept intact by a legion of security forces, paid thugs, and $40 billion in US military aid.

“Tunisia was always seen as an exception, it was too remote, it had its own circumstances,” says Hamid of Brookings. “Egypt is the bellwether for the region, it is the political and cultural heart of the Arab world, and this is going to inspire people in a whole different way.

“If this can happen in Egypt, why can’t it happen anywhere else? Egypt was seen as unlikely a month ago: The regime seemed more unified, more ruthless, with a broader base of support,” he adds.

“The regime had the Islamist card at its disposal – it seemed like Egypt would be very challenging. But the Egyptian people pulled it off. And I think now Arabs know that if they bring people out onto the streets, if they have the numbers, they can accomplish amazing things,” Hamid says.
    The 'inspirational' moment

“Fear and political apathy allowed dictators like Mubarak and others to do whatever they want, not only for life, but even to groom their sons,” says Gerges. “In this sense, the removal of Mubarak is truly one of most inspirational moments in the contemporary history of the Arab world. It will fuel new aspirations and hopes.”

The day Mubarak was toppled from power came precisely 32 years after Iran’s 1979 Islamic revolution, which shook the world in its day and still reverberates.

Just as that change was brought into the Arab family room by flickering TV sets, the Egyptian revolution is being broadcast across the region. But this uprising is being relayed not just live on television and radio, it's being spread even farther and faster via Twitter and Facebook.

“Iran is no longer the model; clerics and mullahs are no longer the model, neither is Osama bin Laden or Ayman Zawahiri,” notes Gerges. “The model is millions of young Arabs, calling for open societies, for freedom, for transparent elections, for their voices to be heard…. They have really Arabized democracy, and that is why it is such a powerful thing.”
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 1,463 Times in 898 Posts

I thought this was the name of the new VH album. Sorry.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

All those articles about the "richest man in the world" with Bill Gates... turns out it was Mubarak, with $70 billion of looting. Unbelievable.
    Little Dreamer

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

So much for the "enemy of my enemy" concept of foreign relations. Let's just hope the hurry to get him out doesn't usher in a radical government. Like ours.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:50 PM
    Liked 4,792 Times in 2,444 Posts

Premium Member

While I am happy that the people in Egypt got what they wanted, I will let history decide on whether this revolution was good for the world.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

I hope Tarbash The Egyptian Magician is alright...

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

Donor

This is how it's supposed to be.....

If a countries people are living under tyranny, THOSE people should gather momentum and make their own changes.

I'm tired of the US interjecting democracy around the world when it's not appreciated. I'm tired of our soldiers dying for someone else's cause.

It's been proven throughout history that with the right leaders, the right brain trust, impossible things are possible.

Congrats to the people of Egypt, revolution is never easy, and I hope that democracy spreads throughout the region. I just hope we stay out of it....outside of lending public support to the cause.
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter