Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

11.25.14 @ 09:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Default Kinda bummed and not sure why

So I interviewed for a job last month. It is a long story, but basically my friend was stepping down and my mom/family kinda pushed me towards it. The pay wouldn't be that much more-if at all, however the hours would be "normal"-weekends and holidays off. For the record, I don't hate/dislike my current job. I'm good at it and I enjoy it. I work with some good people (and one not so good). My hours allow me to do a little farming on the side, which I really like. My job has its drawbacks, sure-I spend alot of my time doing meaningless/pointless tasks-heat from "higher" ups above my boss who have no clue about life in general, much less what our job entails (and you can't tell them anything like that or you'll get suspended b/c they're right and you're wrong).

So I intereviewed for over 2 hours and met w/4 different people. But ultimately they said my GPA wasn't high enough-even though it has been since 94 when I graduated-when I got the call today. Also, the desire by them for me to relocate 30 miles away was a sticking point. It was pleasant and so was I. So why am I bummed about it?
    LSU Tigers 2003 & 2007 National Champs
    Detroit Pistons 2004 NBA Champs

If looks could kill, I'd stare at everybody!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:03 PM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,349 Posts

because no one likes to be told that they just don't quite measure up.....We want to hear YES so that we can say NO THANK YOU

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

On the bright side you still have a job. And you gained a little practice on a future interview. Don't be bummed. Just keep kicking ass at your current job.

Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:48 PM
    Liked 2,218 Times in 1,118 Posts

Premium Member

That really sucks man. I work as a recruiter for a living and as a middle man in the equation, I get to see the bullshit from both sides. First, client demands and expectations can be outrageous. A lot of times, they want the person that just quit, not anyone else. No matter who you send over, no matter how qualified, they find some stupid reason (like GPA from 17 years ago) to justify the fact that the candidate just doesn't look the part to them. I'm working a position now for an admin in a major southern city working at a "family" amusement park. They rejected the last candidate (not mine, thankfully) because she lived with her boyfriend.

On the other side of the equation, I see candidates who are batshit crazy when it comes to finding a job. As bad as client expectations can be, the idea of what some of these candidates think they are worth sometimes astounds me. There are times when I approach a candidate with a job and they practically laugh at me. It's like: "Sorry lady, but you haven't worked in over 2 years, your skills are outdated, you are over 50, and there is someone better out there that will actually cater to the company, rather than the other way around. You will never get paid $60,000 a year ever again."

Of course, I can't say that to them or I might be the one looking for a job. But of course then they are flabbergasted that they cannot find work.

What I can tell you is this: If they dismissed your candidacy for something as stupid as that, it would have been a miserable place for you to work anyway. They will likely micromanage the next person in that position and make the person's life a living hell. I know it's small consolation, but trust me, you are the better for it.

Just be thankful you have a job, like SNIC said. I talk to people every day that would kill to be in your position..and frankly, some of them have killed someone which is why I can't employ them
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Sounds like a blessing, you have a job you like.

They probably had an Ole Miss grad interview for the position too.

Don't Touch the Dog There axebrian's Avatar
    Last Online

01.28.17 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    because no one likes to be told that they just don't quite measure up.....We want to hear YES so that we can say NO THANK YOU
    Wow... That's profound I think....DEF= •showing intellectual penetration or emotional depth;
    ####......###,
    #............#.....#
    ###........#......#
    #............#.....#
    ####......###'

February 10, 1978...The day that changed the Rock N Roll guitar world!!!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

I think it has something to do w/that-feeling of being "rejected" for lack of a better word. Something like maybe: Thanks for offering me this job but I don't want it.

As far as the job itself, I was concerned about it. During the interview they kept talking about how great the job was/is and how when people get it they never let it go-yet two guys I know had it and they no longer are there in a span of less than 10 years. That makes me wonder why.

Again, my present job is great. My boss is great, my co-workers are great-minus one numbnut. Hell my boss is taking me (and an asshole) to Vegas next week for a "seminar". I don't think we'll learn much as we party. I guess just my main problem w/my current job is feeling I don't do any work as I do more b.s. and petty stuff. Also, the higher ups busting my/our collective balls is getting old, fast. Good news, sort of, is I'm on graves-so out of sight, out of mind-unless I royally screw up.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SNIC View Post
    On the bright side you still have a job. And you gained a little practice on a future interview. Don't be bummed. Just keep kicking ass at your current job.

He didn't ask you!

sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

No I appreciate everyone's opinion/insight into this. Maybe this will re-energize me at work b/c for awhile now I've just been going through the motions.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:05 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

This job was not ment for you. Be thankful you didnt get it.
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:44 PM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by csm5150 View Post
    So I interviewed for a job last month. It is a long story, but basically my friend was stepping down and my mom/family kinda pushed me towards it. The pay wouldn't be that much more-if at all, however the hours would be "normal"-weekends and holidays off. For the record, I don't hate/dislike my current job. I'm good at it and I enjoy it. I work with some good people (and one not so good). My hours allow me to do a little farming on the side, which I really like. My job has its drawbacks, sure-I spend alot of my time doing meaningless/pointless tasks-heat from "higher" ups above my boss who have no clue about life in general, much less what our job entails (and you can't tell them anything like that or you'll get suspended b/c they're right and you're wrong).

So I intereviewed for over 2 hours and met w/4 different people. But ultimately they said my GPA wasn't high enough-even though it has been since 94 when I graduated-when I got the call today. Also, the desire by them for me to relocate 30 miles away was a sticking point. It was pleasant and so was I. So why am I bummed about it?
    The fact that they even brought up your GPA (16 freakin years after graduation???)is a good sign you do not want to work there. It's called grabbing at straws. Not a good fit for you, so onward and upward you go
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:21 PM
    Liked 11,549 Times in 4,920 Posts

GPA? I wouldn't even know what my college GPA is anymore. What kind of job cares what your GPA was 17 years ago? Most actually care about something important, like say work experience.

Something tells me you should be glad you didn't get it.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by axebrian View Post
    Wow... That's profound I think....DEF= •showing intellectual penetration or emotional depth;
    Someone always manages to bring "penetration" into the conversation.....I love this place....
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Down in Flames
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 01:26 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar View Post
    Someone always manages to bring "penetration" into the conversation.....I love this place....
    That's what she said...

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'm beginning to think that employers are nit-picking at everything these days...there are an abundance of people out there, myself included, who are looking for jobs, but miss a single piece of their criteria, and they flush you out of contention.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.