Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained!
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:29 AM
    Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts

Default EVH early 90's speakers

I'm building up a rig based on what Eddie was using on the early 90's. Harmonizer and everything... I'm almost done. But I still have to decide about what speakers to choose.

What speakers should I choose and combine with a Peavey 6505 to best emulate Eddie's first 5150 sound? I read somewhere that the "Sheffield 5150" speakers were based on greenbacks, that they were actually "higher voltage greenbacks".

I've found what are pretty much higher voltage greenbacks at Scumback speakers (the M75 or the M75-LHDC). Maybe the LHDC is the one to choose, as the description says it's "better" for high gain players.
    http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/m_series.html#m75LHDC

As I've seen, a lot of you guys own the gear EVH was selling back then, so maybe you can help me and others with the same question

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GOLATTARI View Post
    I'm building up a rig based on what Eddie was using on the early 90's. Harmonizer and everything... I'm almost done. But I still have to decide about what speakers to choose.

What speakers should I choose and combine with a Peavey 6505 to best emulate Eddie's first 5150 sound? I read somewhere that the "Sheffield 5150" speakers were based on greenbacks, that they were actually "higher voltage greenbacks".

I've found what are pretty much higher voltage greenbacks at Scumback speakers (the M75 or the M75-LHDC). Maybe the LHDC is the one to choose, as the description says it's "better" for high gain players.
    http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/m_series.html#m75LHDC

As I've seen, a lot of you guys own the gear EVH was selling back then, so maybe you can help me and others with the same question
    I've been told by 2 reliable sources that Ed used stock Sheffield 1200's for the For Unlawful tour and in the early 90's. Sometime either before or during the 93'-94' Right Here Right Now tour, he switched his center dry cab's speakers to old greenbacks from his marshall cabs -- still used the peavey cabs though. So it depends on what 90's Ed tone you want!

I should also note that not all Sheffield 1200's are 'created equal.' The first ones that shipped with the original 5150 before 92-93 ish are slightly different speakers. Apparently they changed the way they were manufactured from then on... and I'm convinced the combo speakers are slightly different too.... they are 8 ohm speakers in stead of 16 ohm speakers in the 4x12" cabs, and definitely have a sound of their own. I'm not too fond of the Sheffields, but I'm hunting for a first year 5150 cab to see if the early ones were significantly better sounding (which I've been told they are).

And dude, post some pics along the way! I'd love to see the rig you're building! This might give you a hint as to you why I'd be interested....

I'm a bit of a 90's EVH tone enthusiast hehehe
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 02.09.11 at 07:03 PM.

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    I've been told by 2 reliable sources that Ed used stock Sheffield 1200's for the For Unlawful tour and in the early 90's. Sometime either before or during the 93'-94' Right Here Right Now tour, he switched his center dry cab's speakers to old greenbacks from his marshall cabs -- still used the peavey cabs though. So it depends on what 90's Ed tone you want!

I should also note that not all Sheffield 1200's are 'created equal.' The first ones that shipped with the original 5150 before 92-93 ish are slightly different speakers. Apparently they changed the way they were manufactured from then on... and I'm convinced the combo speakers are slightly different too.... they are 8 ohm speakers in stead of 16 ohm speakers in the 4x12" cabs, and definitely have a sound of their own. I'm not too fond of the Sheffields, but I'm hunting for a first year 5150 cab to see if the early ones were significantly better sounding (which I've been told they are).

And dude, post some pics along the way! I'd love to see the rig you're building! This might give you a hint as to you why I'd be interested....

pretty good info there mrj. the early sheffields were different. here is a true story that sums it up. EVH gave Ted Nugent a head and cab back in the early 90's. later on, Ted got with peavey and started using the 5150's and then 6505's. when he got a bunch more amps and cabs from peavey to tour with etc, he wasn't as happy with the sound and couldn't figure out what the problem was. it turned out that the cab EVH gave him had the first run sheffields which are different. same spec, but different material and manufacturing. Ted picked up on it. they aren't that different, but enough for someone with a really good ear to tell. i have a straight cab that i got along with my 1st 5150 from very early 92' when they first were available. i have had about 5 other 5150 cabs over the years, but always favored that first one. i always thought it was because it had the most air thru it and was just sweetly broken in. none of the other ones i had ever got there after many hours on them though. they were very good, just never as sweet sounding. it wasn't until Roger Crimm from peavey told me about the speaker change and the Ted story that i really understood why. EVH figured it out and kept his first cabs, and you are right, he gravitated back to the celestions when he couldn't get the same early speakers for his road gear any more. by 98' it was all celestions. he actually had a version of the sheffields in his dry cabs for those first few tours that were even different than the first production run, which were in the wet cabs. they were made for him to replicate the 25w greenbacks. FWIW

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommytom11 View Post
    pretty good info there mrj. the early sheffields were different. here is a true story that sums it up. EVH gave Ted Nugent a head and cab back in the early 90's. later on, Ted got with peavey and started using the 5150's and then 6505's. when he got a bunch more amps and cabs from peavey to tour with etc, he wasn't as happy with the sound and couldn't figure out what the problem was. it turned out that the cab EVH gave him had the first run sheffields which are different. same spec, but different material and manufacturing. Ted picked up on it. they aren't that different, but enough for someone with a really good ear to tell. i have a straight cab that i got along with my 1st 5150 from very early 92' when they first were available. i have had about 5 other 5150 cabs over the years, but always favored that first one. i always thought it was because it had the most air thru it and was just sweetly broken in. none of the other ones i had ever got there after many hours on them though. they were very good, just never as sweet sounding. it wasn't until Roger Crimm from peavey told me about the speaker change and the Ted story that i really understood why. EVH figured it out and kept his first cabs, and you are right, he gravitated back to the celestions when he couldn't get the same early speakers for his road gear any more. by 98' it was all celestions. he actually had a version of the sheffields in his dry cabs for those first few tours that were even different than the first production run, which were in the wet cabs. they were made for him to replicate the 25w greenbacks. FWIW
    Thanks again for clearing that up!

Favorite VH Song

Unchained!
    Last Online

The tone I like the most is the FUCK tour tone, the harmonizer is very noticeable and it feels a lot more "simple" than the balance tone. Some say it's over processed but I don't care, love it" . It's very similar to the tone he had on 1986 if you judge by some youtube bootlegs.
    I believe the balance tone can be emulated with the same rig with different settings. I don't know why he didn't record RHRN with the tone he had on the FUCK tour....

Here are some examples that surfaced on youtube:

My rig would be basically a 6505 feeding a dry center 2x12 cab, attenuated by a Weber Mass 200. The same Weber takes two line outs (I asked them to build one with 2 parallel line outs) to the right and left side of an Eventide Pitchfactor that feeds two Roland SDE 3000, one on each side. The wet signal goes to a Carvin DCM200L power amp and feeds two 1x12 cabinets. I will be happy to post some pics when I can .

About the speakers... well I won't find any old Sheffields, so I will probably go with the Scumbacks, as they have higher power handling options. The only Celestion with a high power handling that comes close is the G12 65, and I don't think it would come as close as the Scumbacks would.
    Last edited by GOLATTARI; 02.10.11 at 08:49 AM.

Eruption
    Last Online

sure is too bad that the guy in the 5150 clip is no longer.

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

what a great LIVE song is 5150!
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and Ive got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 10:10 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

Anyone have any thought on the sound of LRHRN? It doesn't sound all that great. Is it just the recording quality? I hear a lot of Youtube stuff where Ed sounds a million times better. I didn't see the FUCK tour but, they were awesome during the Balance tour. His tone is much better in the links above than RHRN could ever hope to be.
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.

Favorite VH Song

Unchained!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Rokstar View Post
    Anyone have any thought on the sound of LRHRN? It doesn't sound all that great. Is it just the recording quality? I hear a lot of Youtube stuff where Ed sounds a million times better. I didn't see the FUCK tour but, they were awesome during the Balance tour. His tone is much better in the links above than RHRN could ever hope to be.
    He had a great tone by the early 90's, and this videos do it justice. Man, these are fan footage videos captured with 30 years old cameras and it sounds better than RHRN.
    To me RHRN sounds like he recorded only his dry tone live and tried to add the effects in the studio, or whatever else. His live tone had the harmonizer all over the place since 5150 and that was just great. Maybe he though it didn't sound so good when recorded?
    All videos from this concert in Hamburg, 1993, are amazing. Check it out. The entire setlist is great and his tone is smoking. I liked this tone so much I'm trying to emulate it, as you can see
    Last edited by GOLATTARI; 02.10.11 at 04:41 PM.

Eruption
    Last Online

He had a great tone by the early 90's, and this videos do it justice. Man, these are fan footage videos captured with 30 years old cameras and it sounds better than RHRN.
    To me RHRN sounds like he recorded only his dry tone live and tried to add the effects in the studio, or whatever else. His live tone had the harmonizer all over the place since 5150 and that was just great. Maybe he though it didn't sound so good when recorded?
    All videos from this concert in Hamburg, 1993, are amazing. Check it out. The entire setlist is great and his tone is smoking. I liked this tone so much I'm trying to emulate it, as you can see
    i totally agree with you that his sound from 86'-95' was just awesome. what he used to do then to record was just use 1 cab and head, then use the harmonizer to split the signal to stereo with a slight detune, and then add a chandler delay and maybe some verb to the signal. the idea of the live rig is to replicate that sound, but it actually does it better then that. i have stood in front of his 91'-95' setup and it was raw, thick, tight, layered, and just punchy enough with that little bit of warp from the harmonizer. very simple and an inspiring sound to say the least. i have said this before, but again, one key element to the 86'-95' sound was Bob Bradshaw. when he ditched that rig and the wireless it has never been the same since, not even close. with the Bradshaw rig his sound was crisp, quiet, and sonically amazing. why he dumped it for this mess we have now, anyones guess.

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 10:10 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

Yeah, I find it strange pretty much any recording I've seen or heard is much better than the live disc/video. I think you're onto something with the mixing of effects. He doesn't sound good at all. He even sounded better when he was all liquored up as far as I'm concerned. I'd love to play with a Harmonizer. Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread...
    She's a ho, fo' sho'.

Favorite VH Song

Unchained!
    Last Online

Yeah, I find it strange pretty much any recording I've seen or heard is much better than the live disc/video. I think you're onto something with the mixing of effects. He doesn't sound good at all. He even sounded better when he was all liquored up as far as I'm concerned. I'd love to play with a Harmonizer. Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread...
    Nah! You didn't hijack nothing haha, the first two posts answered my question. Actually it's nice to find people that also enjoy this tone. Most comments I see about it is that it is over processed and stuff... well for me Eddie from the 90's is a nice example of how to use effects to build your tone, but with good taste and simplicity!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nah! You didn't hijack nothing haha, the first two posts answered my question. Actually it's nice to find people that also enjoy this tone. Most comments I see about it is that it is over processed and stuff... well for me Eddie from the 90's is a nice example of how to use effects to build your tone, but with good taste and simplicity!
    I'd even go as far as saying that the mid 90's Ed tone was my favorite guitar tone I've EVER heard from anyone. And trust me, I love the early EVH tone too, but there is something about that 90's tone that is magical.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

It's in the mixing and mastering. It's what I call a fake live album.
    First of all the fake crowd noise just bugs me. The amount of reverb bugs me. The over the top sizzle in the high end, I find real hard to get past.
    It's just a very overproduced piece, and it's too bad. Take LWAN. just about as simple bare bones as you can get, and it outshines that RHRN piece of garbage.
    Maybe that's a bit harsh, but it's so not VH. Even the solo, which I was looking forward to, just wasn't that great. I read that even Eddie didn't like it, and remembered being pissed off while playing that solo at the sound because of the power supply affecting the tone.
    So I thought, well if this album truly spanned a period between '86, beyond, there wasn't one other solo recorded that would outshine the one on the video and album? As far as the video goes, I understand continuity, so maybe it would theoretically throw people if they all of a sudden looked different on stage, but given the crap editing over two nights where in every scene, Sam's wearing a different outfit, I don't think people would care. lol
    And that's another thing....There should have been a warning on the video packaging stating anyone with epilepsy should avoid watching this video for extended periods. Goddamn.........There's so many quick edits in that thing.....It's like watching Power Rangers with my kids back in the day!!!!

Favorite VH Song

Unchained!
    Last Online

I'd even go as far as saying that the mid 90's Ed tone was my favorite guitar tone I've EVER heard from anyone. And trust me, I love the early EVH tone too, but there is something about that 90's tone that is magical.
    It's my favorite also. It never gets old for me. I used to worship the tone he had on the Toronto 1995 concert until I discovered the boots from the FUCK tour some years ago. Now I can't stop listening to it

About the speakers... I'll probably go with the Scumbacks M75-LHDC. It's maybe the closer I can get from the Sheffields, according to the description of course...