Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Default Wireless Guitar systems

Hey all,

Have been considering getting a wireless system. Does anyone use them and have any advice or recommendations?

I looked for a thread on them but nothing turned up.

Curious what people suggest.

Also curious how you handle it with multiple guitars. I use a few different ones for a night and have a back up axe for broken strings.(4 guitars total) If I switch between tunes or have to/can cause of a broken string I hit my tuner to bipass any audio and do a quick swap..using the same cable obviously.

Can you get multiple transmitters to work with the one receiver going into the amp...and have all the guitars setup and ready to go?

How do you handle stuff like that with a wireless system, whats a good one, and where does the receiver go? Near/ on your pedal board...or back near the amp head etc and run a long cable into the pedal board??

My guitar goes direct into a few pedals then out to the amps main...and a few of the pedals on the board are run through the loop.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm pretty clueless on it.Thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

the new Line6 Relay systems are fully digital and do not colour your tone plus theres zero compression so your signal is always pure...theres a few models in the range varying in price, i highly recomend checking them out, i loved the one i used a few weeks ago, sadly i'm not in a position to buy any new gear until i've finished re-building my kitchen and lounge!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I have used them for 20 years, even cheaper ones, I had very little issues with on stage...

I am thinking about trying the one from Carvin, as you can set the channel and buy the transmitters seperately.
    I SURVIVED TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND I, II, III, IV and VI and VII.barely made it to VIII time to slow down
    I musta had a broken middle finger for V
    http://www.youtube.com/user/daneph

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

10.29.13 @ 08:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I gotta say, I have personally tried a wireless vs cord. I lost significant low end using a wireless. This was Ed's #1 complaint with using one and I totally agree with him.

IMO, just not worth the luxury. Low end over free reign.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Why does anyone playing relatively small stages need a wireless? It's more stuff to haul and set up and more stuff that can go wrong. Add to that the cost and potential sacrifice in quality of sound, and it's a no-brainer: No practical need.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

10.29.13 @ 08:27 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    Why does anyone playing relatively small stages need a wireless? It's more stuff to haul and set up and more stuff that can go wrong. Add to that the cost and potential sacrifice in quality of sound, and it's a no-brainer: No practical need.
    the new Line6 systems are digital and according to their blurb and several reviews and awards theres no sound quality sacrifice, apparently they're as good as a cable. the one i tried was fantastic, plus i got to stand further out front and dance with some chicks, which was nice!

http://uk.line6.com/relay/wired-tone.html
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate any help and tips from experience anyone can offer.

As far as practicality..I can't speak for anyone else but I see a lot of cool advantages. Also we have our sites on some outdoor festivals this summer and fall and some other places where the stages are quite large. I dig the idea of the freedom to move around and have all the guitars setup and ready to go... Just curious how it's handled, do you have to switch channels, turn a transmitter off or on or if it's all automatic.

The line 6 looks pretty sweet, takes up to 6 transmitters. I'm looking around and asking in other places but I've gotten some good advice here b4. Thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know about you guys, but the cable is ALWAYS in my way, regardless of strap loop, guitar jack position, etc. If I could get a wireless with little (not offensive) to no tone loss, I'd be interested in it. Obviously for the 90% of my playing (in a studio) it's a no brainer to use a cable.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

They CAN have their place on a small stage. This one place called The Flying Club we used to play at had a weird little octangular corner type stage, and it was so damn small I hardly had room to play let alone move. My amp was to the back left of me, and even if I taped my cable to the floor, I'd still end up catching my foot on it. I'd often get the cord under my feet, or our singer would sometimes trip on it or his. Kind of hard to describe exactly, but it was the place that convinced me to go wireless occasionally because it was so awkward.
    I used to rent them, but picked up a Shure, and that's what worked for me. For digital, I'd check out the Line 6 ones. I don't know a lot about them, but a friend of mine has one and likes it.

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Like others have said, I have heard great things about the Line 6 Relay series. I have played it's predecessor the X2 (Line 6 version, not the original parent company's), and have had to use the Senheisser ew300 G2 before many times.

Typical multi-purpose wireless like the aforementioned Sennheiser do mess with your dynamics and feel a bit. It's noticeable enough to the guitarist, but nobody in the audience is going to be able to tell.

The X2 series was great, made specifically for guitar and lacks the squelch/compression/etc. the multi-purpose units have. I hear the Relay take it above and beyond to the point where it's nearly indistinguishable. I want to buy my own wireless sometime soon, and based on my experience with the X2 and testimonials from respectable players (Pete Thorn), I'll be buying the Relay G50.
    Last edited by Jedi McFly; 02.09.11 at 03:01 PM.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

10.18.13 @ 05:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use a cheap Samson unit. I'm never that far away, I just don't like the clutter. Our other guitar player uses 2 guitars(acoustic & elec) & 2 separate amps. He's always tripping over the cords, getting tangled up, etc...

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    Like others have said, I have heard great things about the Line 6 Relay series. I have played it's predecessor the X2 (Line 6 version, not the original parent company's), and have had to use the Senheisser ew300 G2 before many times.

Typical multi-purpose wireless like the aforementioned Sennheiser do mess with your dynamics and feel a bit. It's noticeable enough to the guitarist, but nobody in the audience is going to be able to tell.

The X2 series was great, made specifically for guitar and lacks the squelch/compression/etc. the multi-purpose units have. I hear the Relay take it above and beyond to the point where it's nearly indistinguishable. I want to buy my own wireless sometime soon, and based on my experience with the X2 and testimonials from respectable players (Pete Thorn), I'll be buying the Relay G50.
    agree. the X2, now Line 6 is the only way to go. its affordable, sounds great, and easy to use. by far the best unless you are playing BIG stages.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

I have an oold wireless by Samson, made in the 80's I used for a short while back then. I loved the convenience of being wireless but it sucked sometimes. Noisy and not dependable enough to count on it. I gave up on using them a long time ago but have seen a lot of local and national talent use them with great effect and figured the technology must have improved greatly since then...so may be time to try again.

So thx for the tips. Appreciate being pointed in a solid direction!

Maybe this thread will help others who fancy getting one too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    I have an oold wireless by Samson, made in the 80's I used for a short while back then. I loved the convenience of being wireless but it sucked sometimes. Noisy and not dependable enough to count on it. I gave up on using them a long time ago but have seen a lot of local and national talent use them with great effect and figured the technology must have improved greatly since then...so may be time to try again.

So thx for the tips. Appreciate being pointed in a solid direction!

Maybe this thread will help others who fancy getting one too.
    Ya, if you end up getting one of the line6's, record a sample with say a 20' cable and then swap in the wireless and record that. See if we can even tell a difference.

I'm not gonna go buy one right now because I'm doing pretty much 100% studio playing at the moment, but this is turning into a very informative thread.