Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

09.25.16 @ 09:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Gave my Steinberger the EVH treatment

It's just a GT-Pro, not an awesome as a GL-2T but I've had it for about 11 years, and decided I'd give it the 5150 treatment like Eddie's, as that was one of my fav's of his arsenal. Thought I'd share...

Brendan

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Awesome man! Those are cool little guitars.

Favorite VH Album

All of them. except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Six Pack
    Last Online

09.09.13 @ 02:35 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have always wanted a GL just because of the transtrem and its use of 5150.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Transtrems are very fun - for awhile I had pipe dreams of upgrading mine with one, but I've been told they're not compatible with the routing that the R-trems use, only the S-trems can be upgraded easily with a T-trem setup.

If this isn't true, would love to know - but for the money, I'd probably be better off just getting a complete GL body Steinberger with a T-trem already in it factory, rather than doing an upgrade to this one.

FWIW, this Spirit series from the old Musicyo site performs really well. Sounds nearly identical to my Les Paul, but with the added bonus of a cleaner strat-ish sound with the middle pickup blends. Works great with an ebow as well!
    Brendan

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

I've never heard of any other guitar players using Transtrems. The company must have been super grateful to Eddie for the free publicity!
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

HAHA nice job. I must be a retard, I had a friend who had a Steinberger, I couldn't play it for shit. I think it's the body, it just felt all weird to me, and it was like a mental thing.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs, BOBW...
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:20 PM
    Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts

Dude that is awesome. Good job

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

i'd love to even just get a trans trem and install it in a wolfgang like ed did. that Bridge is pretty awesome. Wish they werent so rare and that the new ones were like the old ones...

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Awesome job!!!!
    I really like it! I used to own a Steiny a long time ago. It was a white GL4T. It was the model with the midi controller built in, and it had a singlecoil middle pickup. It was a very cool guitar, and the Trans Trem II was a phenomenal bridge. Pretty weird when you looked at the operation of it. When you go down on the bar, they kind of pitch off at an angle. That's the key in how they work. That and some serious tolerance in the manufacture of the double ball strings. If you used an inferior cheapy set of strings, you wouldn't get the transposing effect. It would go out dropping or raising the bar. I got a pretty decent deal on it at the time, for like $1.700 bucks, which was a steal for them back then. I originally got it because of you know who, but I wanted to find more players who used them, so I checked out David Torn. He's another great user of the Trans Trem, along with Holdsworth of course. Their not really my style of music, but to hear amazing use of the guitar, their two of the best.
    I sold the guitar years ago for pretty much what I paid to take care of student loans, but now I wish I'd waited a bit. I've seen some of them go for around 6 or 7 grand in great condition which mine was. Dammit!
    Last edited by we die young; 01.25.11 at 03:33 PM.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by g60racer View Post
    Transtrems are very fun - for awhile I had pipe dreams of upgrading mine with one, but I've been told they're not compatible with the routing that the R-trems use, only the S-trems can be upgraded easily with a T-trem setup.

If this isn't true, would love to know - but for the money, I'd probably be better off just getting a complete GL body Steinberger with a T-trem already in it factory, rather than doing an upgrade to this one.

FWIW, this Spirit series from the old Musicyo site performs really well. Sounds nearly identical to my Les Paul, but with the added bonus of a cleaner strat-ish sound with the middle pickup blends. Works great with an ebow as well!
    Shhhhhhh...Don't tell Ed Roman that your Musicyo Steinberger sounds as good as your Paul. He'll put a bounty out on your left nut!
    lol!
    Yeah you're right, only the S trem route works. The R Trem is on knife edges, where the S and TT are mounted by the chassis and actuate on bearing pivots.
    That's not to say you couldn't make it work if you got creative with some woodworking. You still see the odd TransTrem II's come up on Ebay or CL. Just keep in mind if you get the Gibson era ones made by Zen-On off shore, that those units are cast, not forged like the genuine USA Steinberger ones, so you just have to be a little more careful making adjustments, and keeping things lubricated or they will wear out prematurely. That's IF you were still jonesing for one that is.
    Last edited by we die young; 01.25.11 at 03:42 PM.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    I've never heard of any other guitar players using Transtrems. The company must have been super grateful to Eddie for the free publicity!
    Leslie West used one in the late 80's search youtube for 'Theme For An Imaginary Western Night Of The Guitar'....

or just watch this!...

his tone is immense!
    Last edited by tommywho5150; 01.25.11 at 03:56 PM.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

thats a nice little Steinberger to have. I used to have one of them years ago and they were great little guitars.

Back 11 years ago I bought this Steinberger GL 2T and have had it ever since. I took the faceplate off and striped it. I tell you they are neat little guitars to have and they do feel a little weird but the trans trems are just freaking wild to play with. I love playing Summer Nights on it for sure. It is just a blast.

here is my GL 2T

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    thats a nice little Steinberger to have. I used to have one of them years ago and they were great little guitars.

Back 11 years ago I bought this Steinberger GL 2T and have had it ever since. I took the faceplate off and striped it. I tell you they are neat little guitars to have and they do feel a little weird but the trans trems are just freaking wild to play with. I love playing Summer Nights on it for sure. It is just a blast.

here is my GL 2T

Rob, Words cant express how jealous I am of you. Have been dying for one of these forever. seem impossible to find though

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

@5150Rob - NICE!!! I briefly had a GL-2T like yours about 20 years ago, but it was an impulse buy that I really couldn't afford, so had to sell it pretty quickly. Fell in love with the transtrem though - and yes, Summer Nights was played many many times, as well as Get Up. Would love to get another at some point.

@ we die young - I did say "nearly" but I wouldn't want anyone to blow a circuit. My LP is '59 reissue made in 1988. Great all around guitar, which I think could benefit from better pickups, but I want to keep it all original.
    Brendan

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    David Gilmour from Pink Floyd used a Steinberger GL3T everywhere on the Momentary Lapse of Reason album in 1987. There's also a youtube video of him using it in a live performance with Kate Bush, somewhere up on youtube.