Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default America's New Drug Problem: Snorting 'Bath Salts'

All over the U.S., bath salts are being sold with names like “Ivory Wave,” “White Lightning” and “Hurricane Charlie.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_812693.html

But these aren’t your average bath salts that you pour into the bathtub to soak in after a long, hard day to relax – these so-called bath salts are intended to be snorted, smoked or injected – and users are getting high off of them.

The Drug Enforcement Administration does not regulate these substances, but they are under federal scrutiny, as the effects of these salts are comparable to methamphetamine abuse, according to poison control centers and other law enforcement agencies.

Law officers say some of the substances are being shipped from Europe, but origins are still unclear.

The powders often contain mephedrone and methylenedioxypyrovalerone, also known as MDPV, and can cause hallucinations, paranoia, rapid heart rates and suicidal thoughts, authorities say. The chemicals are in products sold legally at convenience stores and on the Internet as bath salts and even plant foods. However, they aren't necessarily being used for the purposes on the label.

Mississippi lawmakers this week began considering a proposal to ban the sale of the powders, and a similar step is being sought in Kentucky. In Louisiana, the bath salts were outlawed by an emergency order after the state's poison center received more than 125 calls in the last three months of 2010 involving exposure to the chemicals.

One man, Neil Brown, of Fulton, Miss., got high off the bath salts and then slashed his face and stomach. He survived, but authorities said other people have not been so lucky.

In Brown's case, he said he had tried every drug from heroin to crack and was so shaken by terrifying hallucinations that he wrote one Mississippi paper urging people to stay away from the advertised bath salts.

"I couldn't tell you why I did it," Brown said, pointing to his scars. "The psychological effects are still there."

While Brown survived, sheriff's authorities in one Mississippi county say they believe one woman overdosed on the powders there. In southern Louisiana, the family of a 21-year-old man says he cut his throat and ended his life with a gunshot. Authorities are investigating whether a man charged with capital murder in the December death of a Tippah County, Miss., sheriff's deputy was under the influence of the bath salts.

Gary Boggs, an executive assistant at the DEA, said there's a lengthy process to restrict these types of designer chemicals, including reviewing the abuse data. But it's a process that can take years.

Dr. Mark Ryan, director of Louisiana's poison control center, said he thinks state bans on the chemicals can be effective. He said calls about the chemicals have dropped sharply since Louisiana banned their sale in January.
    Ryan said cathinone, the parent substance of the drugs, comes from a plant grown in Africa and is regulated. He said MDPV and mephedrone are made in a lab, and they aren't regulated because they're not marketed for human consumption. The stimulants affect neurotransmitters in the brain, he said.

"It causes intense cravings for it. They'll binge on it three or four days before they show up in an ER. Even though it's a horrible trip, they want to do it again and again," Ryan said.

Ryan said at least 25 states have received calls about exposure, including Nevada and California. He said Louisiana leads with the greatest number of cases at 165, or 48 percent of the U.S. total, followed by Florida with at least 38 calls to its poison center.

Dr. Rick Gellar, medical director for the California Poison Control System, said the first call about the substances came in Oct. 5, and a handful of calls have followed since. But he warned: "The only way this won't become a problem in California is if federal regulatory agencies get ahead of the curve. This is a brand new thing."

In the Midwest, the Missouri Poison Center at Cardinal Glennon Children's Medical Center received at least 12 calls in the first two weeks of January about teenagers and young adults abusing such chemicals, said Julie Weber, the center's director. The center received eight calls about the powders all of last year.

Dr. Richard Sanders, a general practitioner working in Covington, La., said his son, Dickie, snorted some of the chemicals and endured three days of intermittent delirium. Dickie Sanders missed major arteries when he cut his throat. As he continued to have visions, his physician father tried to calm him. But the elder Sanders said that as he slept, his son went into another room and shot himself.

"If you could see the contortions on his face. It just made him crazy," said Sanders. He added that the coroner's office confirmed the chemicals were detected in his son's blood and urine.

Sanders warns the substances are far more dangerous than some of their brand names imply.

"I think everybody is taking this extremely lightly. As much as we outlawed it in Louisiana, all these kids cross over to Mississippi and buy whatever they want," he said.

A small packet of the chemicals typically costs as little as $20.

In northern Mississippi's Itawamba County, Sheriff Chris Dickinson said his office has handled about 30 encounters with users of the advertised bath salts in the past two months alone. He said the problem grew last year in his rural area after a Mississippi law began restricting the sale of pseudoephedrine, a key ingredient in making methamphetamine.

Dickinson said most of the bath salt users there have been meth addicts and can be dangerous when using them.

"We had a deputy injured a week ago. They were fighting with a guy who thought they were two devils. That's what makes this drug so dangerous," he said.

But Dickinson said the chemicals are legal for now, leaving him no choice but to slap users with a charge of disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor.

Kentucky state lawmaker John Tilley said he's moving to block the drug's sale there, preparing a bill for consideration when his legislature convenes shortly. Angry that the powders can be bought legally, he said: "If my 12-year-old can go in a store and buy it, that concerns me."

The Associated Press contributed to this article.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

we had a similar problem here in the U.K with plant food!...wtf is wrong with people?!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:02 PM
    Liked 1,347 Times in 924 Posts

I just wish we could let people do what they want with a guarantee they wouldn't hurt anyone else. The herd definitely needs thinning.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Was watching this show Strange Addictions the other day and a woman was addicted to eating household cleaner similar to dishwashing detergent.

She said she got nothing from doing it (didn't get a high from it or anything). She started eating it when she was 15 and never stopped.

Couldn't believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    I just wish we could let people do what they want with a guarantee they wouldn't hurt anyone else. The herd definitely needs thinning.
    I really do believe this should be written into law. I agree 100%.
    Last edited by MF5150; 01.24.11 at 11:02 AM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I see a lot of comments on this stuff on other boards with people saying "what the fuck is wrong with people snorting bath salts or stain remover?!"

It's important to note these ARE NOT bath salts or stain removers or household cleaners of any kind whatsoever.

They are engineered from non-legislated pharmaceuticals as legal (albeit temporarily) alternatives to cocaine.

Yes the package says "not for human consumption" and they have disclaimers that tell you it's against the law to use it in any way other than its stated purpose but it's all a "nudge-nudge/wink-wink."

It's just like how they sell legal pot alternatives as "aromatic incense" and say "not to be inhaled."

I think it's cool to have a legal alternative that you can walk around with in your pocket and not get arrested for it (unless they catch you getting stupid in public or driving while under the influence....as it should be) but I think it's retarded that people have to jump through so many damn hoops to use substances that grow from the earth and have been used (both pot and coke) for thousands and thousands of years.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post

It's just like how they sell legal pot alternatives as "aromatic incense" and say "not to be inhaled."
    I didn't know that.

You wouldn't happen to recall any brand names would you?
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:14 PM
    Liked 6,831 Times in 3,573 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    I see a lot of comments on this stuff on other boards with people saying "what the fuck is wrong with people snorting bath salts or stain remover?!"

It's important to note these ARE NOT bath salts or stain removers or household cleaners of any kind whatsoever.

They are engineered from non-legislated pharmaceuticals as legal (albeit temporarily) alternatives to cocaine.

Yes the package says "not for human consumption" and they have disclaimers that tell you it's against the law to use it in any way other than its stated purpose but it's all a "nudge-nudge/wink-wink."

I think it's cool to have a legal alternative that you can walk around with in your pocket and not get arrested for it (unless they catch you getting stupid in public or driving while under the influence....as it should be) but I think it's retarded that people have to jump through so many damn hoops to use substances that grow from the earth and have been used (both pot and coke) for thousands and thousands of years.
    So they don't snort the actual bath salts, but instead something created by refining/ processing them?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    So they don't snort the actual bath salts, but instead something created by refining/ processing them?
    no. it's that they're not bath salts.

They're selling a powder form of a legal substance that provides similar effects (arguably) to snorting cocaine.

It's a powder...just like cocaine or baking soda or manitol powder.

They just call it bath salts...other companies call it a stain remover...but they just slap that on the label.

This is not a case of people going and getting bath salts from target or bed bath and beyond and snorting that or making something from it to snort. This is NOT like Meth where people take household products and cold medicine and go cook up drugs.

It's case of a company manufacturing an alternative to cocaine but, due to laws can not market it as such. So...they call it a bath salt or a stain remover but everyone knows it's designed to be snorted.

There's a company called UK Underground that is becoming quite successful selling legal alternatives to coke, mushrooms, ecstacy, LSD etc etc.

The industry has existed forever...there have been legal "herbal" alternatives to all these things for years and years. Now it's getting into the suburbs and soccer mom is having to explain to her hubby what's she's up to (or vice versa) and the kids are scoring at the gas station etc etc...but forever people could open up a copy of High Times or similar magazines and order legal alternatives.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    I didn't know that.

You wouldn't happen to recall any brand names would you?
    haha...for the pot the brand names include K2 Herbal Incenses (which come in various flavours like Mango and different berries) as well as Greenspice or Southern Lights. There's also one called Mr. Nice Guy. (I think that's the name...it might be Mr. Nice Guy...something like that.

This different stuff than the salvia stuff people are up-in-arms about. This stuff is supposed to more like regular weed. (though not designed to be smoked, burned or inhaled.)

Apparently it's being sold in gas stations. My neighbours went out and bought some a couple weeks ago but like I said, if I wanted anything I'd just go to my buddy's head shop. He's actually quite the expert on this stuff and he says since it's gotten easier to maintain relationships with suppliers, he's been making money hand over foot because none of it shows up in a drug test.

So....anyone working any kind of job that requires testing is moving over to this stuff because there's no risk of that AND there's no worry about driving around with a bag full of the shit because it's not legal...though mamma government is getting wise so they're shutting everything down little by little.

According to my buddy, it's a constant game of cat and mouse. The government bans one ingredient so the suppliers rush back to the chemistry set and work up an alternative to the alternative. Government bans that one so they then come with an alternative to the alternative to the alternative.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:14 PM
    Liked 6,831 Times in 3,573 Posts

Premium Member

Thanks Broken, I get it now. Don't worry, I wasn't about to run home, throw on some Iron Butterfly and break out the box of Mr. Bubble.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Thanks Broken, I get it now. Don't worry, I wasn't about to run home, throw on some Iron Butterfly and break out the box of Mr. Bubble.
    Shiiiit man...don't bogart the Mr. Bubble. Save me some man!
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

04.27.16 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

HAHAHAHA K2 is a bigger rip off than salvia!
    ***OFFCIAL TLW 8 VIRGIN/SURVIVOR!***

"Mean ass calendar!"-TST

"GYPSY DILDO PUNKS!"-Harry Dean Stanton

I'm Polish but I don't speak any of the language or know anything about it's culture other than getting mowed down by Hitler...-fast98dodge

My head is freshly shaven and I have cleaned the house before my departure-Viking preparing for TLW

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 2,236 Times in 1,354 Posts

"Calgon take me away!"

how's that for showing your age

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:04 PM
    Liked 1,625 Times in 871 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

this
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This is probably the most concise and accurate description of what almost everyone alive is thinking about life in general...not just drugs and whether or not to legalize...but everything...right down to little league baseball and eating corn chips!
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.