Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Default A few blues jams and some VH riffs using Amplitube 3...

I got Amplitube 3 along with their StealthPedal interface just before the holidays, and I've been getting pretty good results. Below, I've posted a few blues jams using some backing tracks I found online and overdubbed using Amplitube's built in four-track.

1 - A Minor blues, using a stock Gibson Les Paul Traditional through A3's Marshall JTM100 Super Lead model, and a 4x12 Greenback cab. I think this one shows off the dynamics pretty well - the variations in tone come from the guitar.

http://www.stuartneville.com/assets/...arshall(1).mp3

2 - G blues, this time with a stock Gibson Les Paul Junior through a Marshall Bluesbreaker style model, and a couple of verses from a Squier Deluxe Strat with GFS True Coil pickups through a Fender Bassman model.

http://www.stuartneville.com/assets/...bluesing-2.mp3

3 - E blues in an SRV style, using the same guitar and amp combos as #2, but with more gain on the LP Junior.

http://www.stuartneville.com/assets/audio/srvblues.mp3

4 - And finally, here's my take on the Van Halen II sound using a Partsocaster fitted with a single GFS VEH humbucker. I haven't A-B'd this with the original tone from the album, it's just my idealised version of it - it probably has a lot less top end than Eddie's tone.

http://www.stuartneville.com/assets/audio/vhiiriffs.mp3

Adding some stomp models, like EQ, phaser and delay, get things much closer to the sound of the first album, and I also have a preset with less gain that's closer to the 1984 tone.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

I have Amplitube III, how do you find the noise levels? personally i think it's a very noisey program, versatile, but i just can't bring myself to use it all that often because of the constant hiss which only gets worse when you add effects.
    yours sounded great
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    I have Amplitube III, how do you find the noise levels? personally i think it's a very noisey program, versatile, but i just can't bring myself to use it all that often because of the constant hiss which only gets worse when you add effects.
    yours sounded great
    The key to the noise issue does seem to be the audio interface. I'd experimented with the demo of A3 last year, and NI GuitarRig, and using my Yamaha SW1000XG audio card, the noise made both programs unusable. I got better results using my Pod XTLive, but it was still very noisy. With both of those, I had to jack up the input level to get a decent signal into the software, so any noise naturally present at the input jack (the pickups, cable etc) was being exponentially blown up, especially with higher gain stuff.

Anyway, I took the gamble and bought the StealthPedal software bundle, and now it's very, very quiet. The only noise I get is what you'd expect from a guitar with magnetic pickups - the usual 60 cycle hum from the P90 in my LP Junior, that sort of thing. On balance, I'd say it's significantly quieter than if you were to use the real world equivalents of what's being modelled.

I assume the key thing here is that the StealthPedal has a high impedance input specifically designed for getting a guitar signal into the computer, rather than the line level input found on most audio interfaces. It's great with the software because it also acts as a switchable wah, and you can plug additional footswitches into it for kicking assigned effects on and off.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Charvel2 View Post
    The key to the noise issue does seem to be the audio interface. I'd experimented with the demo of A3 last year, and NI GuitarRig, and using my Yamaha SW1000XG audio card, the noise made both programs unusable. I got better results using my Pod XTLive, but it was still very noisy. With both of those, I had to jack up the input level to get a decent signal into the software, so any noise naturally present at the input jack (the pickups, cable etc) was being exponentially blown up, especially with higher gain stuff.

Anyway, I took the gamble and bought the StealthPedal software bundle, and now it's very, very quiet. The only noise I get is what you'd expect from a guitar with magnetic pickups - the usual 60 cycle hum from the P90 in my LP Junior, that sort of thing. On balance, I'd say it's significantly quieter than if you were to use the real world equivalents of what's being modelled.

I assume the key thing here is that the StealthPedal has a high impedance input specifically designed for getting a guitar signal into the computer, rather than the line level input found on most audio interfaces. It's great with the software because it also acts as a switchable wah, and you can plug additional footswitches into it for kicking assigned effects on and off.
    hmmmn...i have been using a Line6 Toneport as an interface, which is a dedicated guitar to P.C. device but still having noise issues!...maybe i'll have to demo the StealthPedal, perhaps it's a case of their product is the only one that will work correctly with their software, i did find some useful tones within the program and if i cranked the noisegate it was ok for practice,, i'd like very much to experiment with it more though.
    thanks for the advice mate, i'll give it a go.

on a personal note: my wife bought me your book for Xmas, great work, i'm enjoying it

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Those all sound really good. I need to look into this software based stuff...problem is I don't have a high end machine...is latency still an issue like it was a number of years ago? Nice playing there, sweet phrasing and touch, which helps makes things sounds good. I wouldn't even know how to go about setting up such a rig, any advice or links to get me educated?

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    Those all sound really good. I need to look into this software based stuff...problem is I don't have a high end machine...is latency still an issue like it was a number of years ago? Nice playing there, sweet phrasing and touch, which helps makes things sounds good. I wouldn't even know how to go about setting up such a rig, any advice or links to get me educated?
    have a look for something like the Line6 TonePort GX i bought one new before they were discontinued for 35 and the replacement in the line isn't much more expensive and the gearbox software it comes with is very good indeed, i can nail Ed's 1984 tone with it easily and theres zero latency as long as you have atleast 512mb of ram (1gb is better though)

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.25.11 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That is a really good VH2 tone. Is that something you came up with or did they have that already set up as a preset? I'd almost be willing to buy it for that tone alone (I have Amplitube 2).

Manufacturers always have a VH1 tone preset - in every pedal, software, etc. but never have anything close to 1984.

Nice playing too.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:09 PM
    Liked 11,592 Times in 4,941 Posts

Uh that VH 2 tone is pretty damn close. I too wonder if that's stock? I'd buy it just for that too.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

The VH2 tone is one I came up with myself, but it's very simple - it's just their Vintage Metal Lead amp, which is based on a Marshall JMP100 head, with gain at 12 o'clock, and everything else turned up full. Amplitube models output tube and speaker distortion as the master volume is wound up, which helps a lot with VH tones. I then used two Greenback 25 cabs, one mic'd with an SM57 and a C67, with the second cab mic'd with a Groove Tubes ribbon mic model. That GT mic imparts a big bottom end to some tones, and I added some extra room reverb to that cab, so it gets that kind of airy low end. There's some extra bass added with the post EQ, and then a bit of tinkering with the reverb.

Having said all that, I do think the guitar itself has a lot to do with this tone - it's a very resonant Strat body with a vintage trem, so it naturally has a bright and springy high end with a good resonance in the lows, coupled with the GFS pickup which does seem to bring out the guitar's natural sound.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 414 Times in 249 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charvel2 View Post

4 - And finally, here's my take on the Van Halen II sound using a Partsocaster fitted with a single GFS VEH humbucker. I haven't A-B'd this with the original tone from the album, it's just my idealised version of it - it probably has a lot less top end than Eddie's tone.

http://www.stuartneville.com/assets/audio/vhiiriffs.mp3

Adding some stomp models, like EQ, phaser and delay, get things much closer to the sound of the first album, and I also have a preset with less gain that's closer to the 1984 tone.
    WOW. That VH II tone is almost bang on.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Just for comparison, here's my 1984 patch - it's the same amp, cap and mic combination as the VHII patch, but with less preamp gain, and the addition of a tube compressor which adds a little extra distortion and midrange grit after the mics. This is played using my Charvel So Cal with an EVH Frankenstein humbucker. Forgive my sloppy playing, though, especially the balls I make of Hot for Teacher!

http://www.stuartneville.com/assets/audio/1984riffs.mp3

I don't think this one is quite there yet - it needs less gain at the front, and more of that compressor gargle at the end of the chain, and probably some experimentation with mic placement and mixing.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    The StealthPedal made latency much less of an issue, though even with the Pod it wasn't too bad. Mine is a pretty new desktop machine, though not a real high end bruiser - Intel i5 with 3gb of RAM. From what I've read, memory can be the biggest hurdle for Amplitube.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

01.26.11 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow, great tones - thanks for the examples! Please do share these presets you have made in the Preset XChange (found in your User Area of our site) http://www.ikmultimedia.com and I'm sure people will love to play these.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 03:14 PM
    Liked 82 Times in 38 Posts

I have Amplitude 3, and would love that VH preset!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Choose just one??
    Last Online

12.14.14 @ 07:41 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Has anyone played around with the stealthplug from the same company? I have similar issues with some others here in regards to the high noise levels in amplitube, but I was looking for something very portable as I have to travel a lot. I had been eyeing that, but wasn't sure if it would work (have tried audio interfaces from m-audio and lexicon, neither helped).

Those recordings sounded great though! Real nice tones, and awesome playing