Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    01.29.02
    Age
    49
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    22,946
    Last Online

    12.18.17 @ 04:35 AM
    Likes
    846
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

    Default Rep. Cohen explains use of Nazi imagery

    Following calls to tone down political rhetoric in Washington, Rep. Steve Cohen (D-Tenn.) invoked the phrase "blood libel," the Holocaust and Nazi propagandist Joseph Goebbels to attack Republicans on the issue of health care on the House floor late Tuesday night.



    After Jonathan Karl of ABC News reported on the speech, commentators promptly denounced Cohen's rhetoric -- and now Cohen is left to explain what, exactly, he meant by all the comparisons to Germany under Nazi rule.

    In a statement Thursday, Cohen said that there's been "considerable media attention" surrounding his comments, but that they've been taken out of context:

    "I want to be clear that I never called Republicans Nazis. Instead, the reference I made was to the greatest propaganda master of all time," he said.

    But that shades-of-gray distinction may not appease the critics who are denouncing Cohen's remarks.

    The comments that attracted the most attention include:

    They [Republicans] say it's a government takeover of health care -- a big lie just like Goebbels. You say it enough, you repeat the lie, you repeat the lie, and eventually, people believe it. Like blood libel. That's the same kind of thing.

    Germans said enough about the Jews and people believed it believed it and you have the Holocaust. We heard on this floor -- government takeover of health care.

    Jewish groups have also criticized Cohen's invocation of the Holocaust in a political debate. The National Jewish Democratic Council stated that using the Holocaust for political points is never acceptable. The liberal Jewish group J Street and the Anti-Defamation League both echoed the same criticism.

    Cohen, who is Jewish, also used Thursday's statement to offer an apology, but he still placed blame on the inaccurate "portrayal" of his comments.

    "I would certainly never do anything to diminish the horror of the Nazi Holocaust, as I revere and respect the history of my people ... I regret that anyone in the Jewish Community, my Republican colleagues or anyone else was offended by the portrayal of my comments."

    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

  2. #2
    Unchained gavs5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.06.03
    Age
    42
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    527
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About it Later
    Last Online

    05.09.15 @ 09:17 PM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Glad to see that new tone of civility in Washington is alive and well!

    What a f%cking moron! How does someone like that get elected in TN?

  3. #3
    Unchained gavs5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.06.03
    Age
    42
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    527
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About it Later
    Last Online

    05.09.15 @ 09:17 PM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

    Default



    Hilarious! Nice logic:

    I didn't call them Nazis. I said they were acting just like the Nazis.

    He didn't say that Tea Party members were like Klansmen. I said that the Tea Party had formed like the Klan.

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk TheresOnlyOneWay's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.13.04
    Location
    Avengers Tower
    Posts
    10,149
    Favorite VH Album

    Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

    Different Devil
    Last Online

    11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    It's all okay as long as he doesn't use crosshairs on his website.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

    Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

    A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

    Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, Tokyo Dome In Concert, is available for purchase, and its super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

  5. #5
    Eruption
    Join Date
    07.27.06
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,122
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

    05.26.17 @ 11:48 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Cohen's brain:

    • Republican/Tea Party say Obamacare = bad.
    • Obamacare is, in fact, good, then any reason for calling it bad is a lie.
    • Lie = bad
    • Nazis = bad
    • Republicans/Tea Party = Nazis


    I wish I had such a brain as Cohen's. It must be sweet to have that kind of logic and insight. Thank God he is in public office serving the country and setting us all on the right path.
    Last edited by Duck; 01.21.11 at 01:33 PM.

  6. #6
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    29
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,331
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Likes
    299
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

    Default

    Where did he say that the Republicans were Nazis? I didn't hear him say anything like that. I did hear him say that the Republicans were lying, though.

    I think he would have just been better off saying that "the Republicans continue to lie, lie, lie in hope of making people believe said fabrications."

    He should have known that the mere mention of Goebbels and Nazi propaganda would get him in hot water even though nobody, in their right mind, can actually say that he accused the Republicans of being Nazis. There were other ways he could have said what he said.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

  7. #7
    Eruption
    Join Date
    07.27.06
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,122
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

    05.26.17 @ 11:48 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Where did he say that the Republicans were Nazis? I didn't hear him say anything like that. I did hear him say that the Republicans were lying, though.

    I think he would have just been better off saying that "the Republicans continue to lie, lie, lie in hope of making people believe said fabrications."

    He should have known that the mere mention of Goebbels and Nazi propaganda would get him in hot water even though nobody, in their right mind, can actually say that he accused the Republicans of being Nazis. There were other ways he could have said what he said.
    Please.

    That is exactly his weasel argument/excuse in his follow-up interview. He is trying to walk that back. I think it's lame. To compare Republican arguments to propaganda techniques of the hated Nazis, is to accuse someone of being virtually like them and have evil motivations.

    I mean, he could have used another example or a metaphor, but he specifically choose to compare to Nazis -- the worse possible comparison to evil in this day and age. On the House floor no less.

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    It's interesting that so many people take issue when someone else goes to the nazi card yet sooooooo many people routinely go to the nazi card themselves.
    Stay out of it, dude.


    I am Van Halen.

  9. #9
    Unchained gavs5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.06.03
    Age
    42
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    527
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About it Later
    Last Online

    05.09.15 @ 09:17 PM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Where did he say that the Republicans were Nazis? I didn't hear him say anything like that. I did hear him say that the Republicans were lying, though.
    ..... even though nobody, in their right mind, can actually say that he accused the Republicans of being Nazis.
    This would be like me saying, "I'm not calling you a dumbass. I'm just saying that you're acting just like a dumbass".

    Come on dude...You're can't seriously defend the hypocrisy of this jackass throwing this bomb just days after calling for a more civilized rhetoric in Washington. Tell me you're better than that.

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk BREW CREW's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.09.00
    Age
    45
    Posts
    11,665
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

    Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

    08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Likes
    45
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Where did he say that the Republicans were Nazis? I didn't hear him say anything like that. I did hear him say that the Republicans were lying, though.

    I think he would have just been better off saying that "the Republicans continue to lie, lie, lie in hope of making people believe said fabrications."

    He should have known that the mere mention of Goebbels and Nazi propaganda would get him in hot water even though nobody, in their right mind, can actually say that he accused the Republicans of being Nazis. There were other ways he could have said what he said.
    Did you see all the videos or what? I can't believe you're pretty much defending this dipshit politician. Anyone in their right mind would know what he was saying.
    Just go for it!

  11. #11
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    09.24.02
    Location
    North Central OKC
    Posts
    4,582
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

    Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

    11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Likes
    290
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gavs5150 View Post
    Glad to see that new tone of civility in Washington is alive and well!

    What a f%cking moron! How does someone like that get elected in TN?
    Heeeeyyyyyyy...is he the moron we're looking for in the other thread?

    "The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

    "Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

    "There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

  12. #12
    Hang 'Em High Wray's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.17.03
    Posts
    6,596
    Last Online

    08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheresOnlyOneWay View Post
    It's all okay as long as he doesn't use crosshairs on his website.
    Quote Originally Posted by BREW CREW
    Did you see all the videos or what? I can't believe you're pretty much defending this dipshit politician. Anyone in their right mind would know what he was saying.
    Maybe if we started equally criticizing our politicians, we wouldn't have this type of rhetoric floating around. Instead, we've got the Republicans defending the awful rhetoric coming out of the mouth of people such as Sarah Palin, and the Democrats defending people such as Cohen.

    It's said because it works. Our politics is nothing but the pied piper effect at full force.

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    29
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,331
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Likes
    299
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gavs5150 View Post
    This would be like me saying, "I'm not calling you a dumbass. I'm just saying that you're acting just like a dumbass".

    Come on dude...You're can't seriously defend the hypocrisy of this jackass throwing this bomb just days after calling for a more civilized rhetoric in Washington. Tell me you're better than that.
    By that logic you then would have to assume that Cohen indeed meant to imply that the Republican party is slaughtering millions of innocent people and lying about it like the Nazis did. I really don't think he meant that by bringing up Goebbels and the Holocaust.

    He said they were lying and essentially said it was propaganda. As I clearly said earlier, he made a poor choice in bringing up Goebbels and the Holocaust in an effort to make a parallel point.

    I'm not defending anybody. He could have gotten his point across in numerous different ways without going down that road.

    Quote Originally Posted by BREW CREW View Post
    Did you see all the videos or what? I can't believe you're pretty much defending this dipshit politician. Anyone in their right mind would know what he was saying.
    Then explain to me what he was saying since the fact that I said that he made a poor choice in bringing up Goebbels and the Holocaust isn't really registering with you, Brew. The guy didn't call them Nazis regardless of how much you want to believe that's what he meant.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

  14. #14
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    13,741
    Favorite VH Album

    VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

    07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Over the last few years I've watched and listened to this whole thing concerning comparisons to nazis.

    I remember when Rush started using the term "feminazis" and liberals started getting all outraged and righteous.

    When I was in college a liberal cartoonist had a "political cartoon" representation of the young republicans meeting on campus. It depicted a klansman, a skinhead and a nazi standing in front of a "UH Young Republicans Meeting" banner. The righties got all hot and bothered.

    It seems each side loves to lob that ball and take turns being morally outraged and defending the jews and saying "too far, too far."

    Whatever.

    The nazis were fucking nazis. No need to dig too deep on that one...however, one of the things that has fascinated and captivated scholars and laymen alike all these years is their mastery of propaganda, media, political rhetoric and how they used all of that to command the attention, hearts and minds of a nation. They had everyone from the young poor kid to the old rich guy believing their shit.

    I do not believe it's out of bounds to explore that and use that as a basis of comparison when discussing media, the political parties, the amazing number of talking heads and pundits, and the way that information is controlled and fed to the masses in this country.

    What's more, I think anyone wanting it to be out of bounds or off-limits is begging for that shit to repeat itself.

    What's more, for people to throw up the "you=can't-use-the-nazi- comparison-That's-toooooo-far!" defense is essentially doing the same thing that other people do when they try to shut down a discussion or argument by "going to the race card."

    It's fucking bush league.

    Rather than getting all bent out of shape because someone dared bring up nazis, why don't instead explore the topic a bit further?

    Now I'm not defending this guy, he's a dumbfuck congressman who at least should have known that his invocation of such imagery would have cut him off at the knees because the peanut gallery would immediately stop thinking and start with the outrage and demands for apologies.

    He can go fuck himself.

    That said, reading his statements, it rings pretty fucking true.

    And a righty could say the exact same thing about the lefties and it would be just as true.

    But hey, it's all good...lets all just keep the merry go round going, let's keep taking turns being all morally outraged instead of actually looking at what the fuck is going on.

    goddamn lemmings...I swear, it's enough to drive a man to drink.
    Stay out of it, dude.


    I am Van Halen.

  15. #15
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    29
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,331
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Likes
    299
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    Over the last few years I've watched and listened to this whole thing concerning comparisons to nazis.

    I remember when Rush started using the term "feminazis" and liberals started getting all outraged and righteous.

    When I was in college a liberal cartoonist had a "political cartoon" representation of the young republicans meeting on campus. It depicted a klansman, a skinhead and a nazi standing in front of a "UH Young Republicans Meeting" banner. The righties got all hot and bothered.

    It seems each side loves to lob that ball and take turns being morally outraged and defending the jews and saying "too far, too far."

    Whatever.

    The nazis were fucking nazis. No need to dig too deep on that one...however, one of the things that has fascinated and captivated scholars and laymen alike all these years is their mastery of propaganda, media, political rhetoric and how they used all of that to command the attention, hearts and minds of a nation. They had everyone from the young poor kid to the old rich guy believing their shit.

    I do not believe it's out of bounds to explore that and use that as a basis of comparison when discussing media, the political parties, the amazing number of talking heads and pundits, and the way that information is controlled and fed to the masses in this country.

    What's more, I think anyone wanting it to be out of bounds or off-limits is begging for that shit to repeat itself.

    What's more, for people to throw up the "you=can't-use-the-nazi- comparison-That's-toooooo-far!" defense is essentially doing the same thing that other people do when they try to shut down a discussion or argument by "going to the race card."

    It's fucking bush league.

    Rather than getting all bent out of shape because someone dared bring up nazis, why don't instead explore the topic a bit further?

    Now I'm not defending this guy, he's a dumbfuck congressman who at least should have known that his invocation of such imagery would have cut him off at the knees because the peanut gallery would immediately stop thinking and start with the outrage and demands for apologies.

    He can go fuck himself.

    That said, reading his statements, it rings pretty fucking true.

    And a righty could say the exact same thing about the lefties and it would be just as true.

    But hey, it's all good...lets all just keep the merry go round going, let's keep taking turns being all morally outraged instead of actually looking at what the fuck is going on.

    goddamn lemmings...I swear, it's enough to drive a man to drink.
    As per usual well said, man.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Romantic Imagery of Guitarists in Music Videos
    By broken9500 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08.19.08, 10:24 AM
  2. Lest We Forget: Linus Explains The Reason For The Season...
    By chefcraig in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12.25.07, 07:03 AM
  3. Jim Hightower Explains 'Why We're In Iraq'...
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05.16.07, 05:42 PM
  4. Dave's new video on his website explains alot!
    By VH FOREVER in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10.20.02, 12:48 PM
  5. That Explains a Lot...
    By I_ama_BMF in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07.02.01, 06:39 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •