Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default First The Karate Kid, now Will Smith Eyeing 'Annie' Reboot Starring Willow

It's no "hard knock life" for the Smith family these days. Variety reports that Will Smith is exploring a remake of the classic musical 'Annie,' starring none other than daughter Willow Smith.

The Sony project is still in development, and details surrounding it remain scarce. Sources say hip-hip mogul Jay-Z, who worked with Willow on her 'Whip My Hair' hit, is in talks to work on the music for the film. Whether or not it will feature new or orginial songs has yet to be decided.

The 10-year-old singer may have the singing down, but does she have the acting chops to go with it? The thespian bug does seem to run in the family.

Big brother Jaden starred in the Sony redo of 'The Karate Kid' last summer, bringing in more than $350 million worldwide. With a pull like that, and dad Will connected the to project, Sony will likely push ahead for the 'Annie' remake.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/5150
    Favorite VH Song

RWTD/BoBW
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 76 Times in 30 Posts

Hell, why not hook up with the Pitts and do "Sound of Music"?
    A little more volume in the headphones please.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

I like Will Smith. I really, really do. I think he's a good guy and a hell of a talent.

That being said, I'm starting to get tired of the hand-outs he's giving his kids.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm sorry but am I the only one who knows Willow as being one of only two things?

edit: ooooh...it's his kid. I didn't read close enough and I thought it was going to be some young hip hop chick or something.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Smith's daughter is black, correct?

Annie was white, correct?

Am I missing something here?
    Last edited by MF5150; 01.20.11 at 10:28 AM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Don't you remember this blockbuster of a remake?

Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I completely passed over this little nugget.

"The Sony project is still in development, and details surrounding it remain scarce. Sources say hip-hip mogul Jay-Z, who worked with Willow on her 'Whip My Hair' hit, is in talks to work on the music for the film. Whether or not it will feature new or orginial songs has yet to be decided."

If this does indeed come to fruition we will, indeed, have enough evidence to say that we have entered.....The Twilight Zone.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Smith's daughter is black, correct?

Annie was white, correct?

same with the Karate Kid.

Will and his wife are good folks. They are decent, intelligent and incredibly talented people and they are race-centric in a way that is very well-intentioned and beneficial but can also be a bit off-putting to those folks who aren't black.

I'm of the opinion that while "black america" certainly needs to be better about creating wealth, cultivating talent, lifting up their own, becoming business owners etc I don't really think they should be "rebranding" things in hopes of taking ownership of it or whatever.

There are plenty of ways of telling original stories and creating content that resonates with blacks that don't involve taking stories that are sooooo rooted and sooooo identifiable with a white character and just adding some hiphop and a black cast.

Does that make any sense?

I completely applaud Will and Jada for wanting to be leaders and an inspiration and to create entertainment that is blackcentric. Doesn't bother me in the least. There are cultural differences and refereces that resonate among them that won't necessarily resonate among whites or hispanics or asians.

I'm not such a big fan of taking Karate Kid and apparently now Annie and just sort of reinventing them.

Will and Jada should work to find unique and new stories...even if they omages to the originals, if they're trying to make films that are "black."
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    same with the Karate Kid.

Will and his wife are good folks. They are decent, intelligent and incredibly talented people and they are race-centric in a way that is very well-intentioned and beneficial but can also be a bit off-putting to those folks who aren't black.

I'm of the opinion that while "black america" certainly needs to be better about creating wealth, cultivating talent, lifting up their own, becoming business owners etc I don't really think they should be "rebranding" things in hopes of taking ownership of it or whatever.

There are plenty of ways of telling original stories and creating content that resonates with blacks that don't involve taking stories that are sooooo rooted and sooooo identifiable with a white character and just adding some hiphop and a black cast.

Does that make any sense?

I completely applaud Will and Jada for wanting to be leaders and an inspiration and to create entertainment that is blackcentric. Doesn't bother me in the least. There are cultural differences and refereces that resonate among them that won't necessarily resonate among whites or hispanics or asians.

I'm not such a big fan of taking Karate Kid and apparently now Annie and just sort of reinventing them.

Will and Jada should work to find unique and new stories...even if they omages to the originals, if they're trying to make films that are "black."
    I agree with everything you said there.

To me somethings just don't get messed with. Annie is white. I never watched Karate Kid but I still think that was kind of weird casting Smith's kid.

Plus..Jay-Z potentially doing the music for the film makes me utter a phrase I probably shouldn't be saying at my young age...."What is this world coming too?"

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Plus..Jay-Z potentially doing the music for the film makes me utter a phrase I probably shouldn't be saying at my young age...."What is this world coming too?"
    People are going to overreact over that name, but I don't think people realize just how talented and gifted the man is.

Forget his hip-hop trademark, there's a reason he's made so much money and has shown so much more longevity than other hip-hop artists/producers. I think he can pull this off.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

05.09.15 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Man, I am so tired of entertainers pushing their kids on their fa....er...Oops!....I didn't mean you Ed....I'm sorry....Now please return to the studio and continue to work on my new CD.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ZachenFoot View Post
    People are going to overreact over that name, but I don't think people realize just how talented and gifted the man is.

Forget his hip-hop trademark, there's a reason he's made so much money and has shown so much more longevity than other hip-hop artists/producers. I think he can pull this off.
    I know he's extremely talented. It's just....Jay-Z....Annie...Jay-Z....Annie?

Doesn't quite fit for me. Is every song in the movie going to be redone in a hip-hop style?

Also....aren't some things sacred? Annie's soundtrack being produced by a hip-hop producer? Really? Again, not saying he's not talented and doesn't deserve his success but I just can't get my head around it.
    Last edited by MF5150; 01.20.11 at 11:13 AM.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I know he's extremely talented. It's just....Jay-Z....Annie...Jay-Z....Annie?

Doesn't quite fit for me. Is every song in the movie going to be redone in a hip-hop style?
    some hip hop group already did a version Hard Knock Life...several years ago. I'm not going to look it up or post it, it was fucking garbage, but precedent has been set.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    some hip hop group already did a version Hard Knock Life...several years ago. I'm not going to look it up or post it, it was fucking garbage, but precedent has been set.
    I've heard that garbage more than enough times. And that's kind of what I'm fearing. Is that what this remake is going to be?

I mean with the casting of Smith's daughter and Jay-Z possibly doing the music, I think that is most definitely in the realm of possibilities.