Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Welfare Tab for Children of Illegal Immigrants Estimated at $600M in L.A. County

Welfare benefits for the children of illegal immigrants cost America's largest county more than $600 million last year, according to a local official keeping tabs on the cost.

Los Angeles County Supervisor Michael Antonovich released new statistics this week showing social spending for those families in his county rose to $53 million in November, putting the county government on track to spend more than $600 million on related costs for the year -- up from $570 million in 2009.

Antonovich arrived at the estimate by factoring in the cost of food stamps and welfare-style benefits through a state program known as CalWORKS. Combined with public safety costs and health care costs, the official claimed the "total cost for illegal immigrants to county taxpayers" was more than $1.6 billion in 2010.

"Not including the hundreds of millions of dollars for education," he said in a statement.

Antonovich's figures, though, center on costs generated by American-born children of illegal immigrants. Isabel Alegria, communications director at the California Immigrant Policy Center, said it's "unfair" to roll together costs associated with both illegal immigrants and U.S.-born citizens.

"Those children are U.S. citizens, children eligible for those programs," Alegria said.

She also questioned the authenticity of Antonovich's numbers regarding health care and public safety -- though for the welfare program statistics, Antonovich cited numbers from the county's Department of Public Social Services.

Antonovich acknowledges that the children whose benefits he's focusing on are U.S.-born. But he argues that the money is collected by the illegal immigrant parents, putting a painful burden on taxpayers, including those who are legal immigrants.

"The problem is illegal immigration. ... Their parents evidently immigrated here in order to get on social services," Antonovich spokesman Tony Bell said. "We can no longer afford to be HMO to the world."

He said the state should cut back on these social benefits. According to the November statistics, that cost accounted for 22 percent of all food stamp and CalWORKS spending in the county.

Over the summer, the Federation for American Immigration Reform also looked at these kinds of costs nationwide to get an idea of the burden to local governments at a time when many are grappling with budget deficits.

The organization reported that the cost of illegal immigration stands at about $113 billion a year. Nearly half of that amount went toward education costs, according to the study. Costs were naturally higher in states with large illegal immigrant populations -- in California, the total annual cost was pegged at $21.8 billion.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 6,708 Times in 3,727 Posts

i've understood why someone born in america to two illegal aliens is considered an American.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:01 PM
    Liked 1,084 Times in 726 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    i've understood why someone born in america to two illegal aliens is considered an American.
    I think you meant to insert a "never" in there. Anyway, it's the 14th amendment. Quite a few republican types say they will try to amend that part of the amendment but that'll never happen. Probably.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood P. View Post
    I think you meant to insert a "never" in there. Anyway, it's the 14th amendment. Quite a few republican types say they will try to amend that part of the amendment but that'll never happen. Probably.
    oops - nice catch

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:01 PM
    Liked 1,084 Times in 726 Posts

Premium Member

oops - nice catch
    You Cannucks keep me on my toes with your grammer and spelling and such.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

If we're going to do away with the notion of being born here makes you a citizen then I'd like to see them bring in a slew of requirements.

If we're going to open that door then let's really go in and make ourselves comfy.

I'd like to see an age requirement before full citizenship, psychiatric and academic examinations that are part of a citizenship application process, let them pay a fee and then have them renew it every four years.

In exchange for becoming a citizen they get to avail themselves of social services, they get to vote, they get access to government loans and funding for education, home purchases etc etc etc and you get a license to start a family.

Everyone else can simply choose to live within the borders of the US as a visitor or non-citizen or we just call them second-class citizens who do NOT get access to any of the benefits...even if they breed...their disgusting economy ruining little crotch fruit can die on the vine for all us CITIZENS care. This is the NEW America damn it.

The fact that we are even discussing such a thing seems very "UNAmerican" and very counter to everything this country supposedly stands for and everything that the supposedly uberpatriotic folks should be fighting to restore/preserve.

But what do I know?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

what's the logic behind this orignally being part of the constitution? If a pregnant Canadian woman for instance happened to get shipped to a hospital in a neighbouring US city for delivery (it happens) why would that kid be an American when that might be the first time that the kids mother has ever been in the states? that never made any sense to me.
    Last edited by It's Mike; 01.20.11 at 08:37 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:21 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

I am not sure but I don't think it was ever intended for illegal alien kids to be citizens. Supposedly it was crafted in 1868 and was a way for blacks to be citizens. Was an federal indictment of the Dred Scot case.

The relevant text reads like this

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

So technically anybody born is a citizen but it was meant for children of people forced here against their will. Grandchildren of slaves for instance.

However it has a loop hole and therefore illegal immigrants can have children that are citizens. I don't agree with it but if one is going to say that the 2nd Amendment states that you can own guns based on the text, well this says that illegals kids are citizens.

Of course you can amend it and therefore change it.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:19 AM
    Liked 1,139 Times in 649 Posts

Illegal immigrants have taken advantage of us and the constitution to the point that there is no way to undo the damage done now. It started with amnesty in 86 and will end in 2030 by a Latino run California saying it wants to secede itself to Mexico. Good job Reagan, good job democrats...we didn't need California anyway. What happened to "repel the enemies at the borders?"
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

04.27.16 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This has always confused me. Does this apply to ever single person born in this country? Say two French citizens are here on vacation (haha) and the woman gives birth. Is that child an American citizen even though his parents had no intentions in staying in America past their vacation? Could someone please clarify this for me?
    ***OFFCIAL TLW 8 VIRGIN/SURVIVOR!***

"Mean ass calendar!"-TST

"GYPSY DILDO PUNKS!"-Harry Dean Stanton

I'm Polish but I don't speak any of the language or know anything about it's culture other than getting mowed down by Hitler...-fast98dodge

My head is freshly shaven and I have cleaned the house before my departure-Viking preparing for TLW

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:13 PM
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

what's the logic behind this orignally being part of the constitution? If a pregnant Canadian woman for instance happened to get shipped to a hospital in a neighbouring US city for delivery (it happens) why would that kid be an American when that might be the first time that the kids mother has ever been in the states? that never made any sense to me.
    Mike

Are you sure it isn't the same here? I thought that if someone was born in Canada even if the parents were just on vacation here from another country, the kid gets an automatic Canadian citizenship.
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SassyLassy View Post
    This has always confused me. Does this apply to ever single person born in this country? Say two French citizens are here on vacation (haha) and the woman gives birth. Is that child an American citizen even though his parents had no intentions in staying in America past their vacation? Could someone please clarify this for me?
    As I understand it, the french people on holiday, who give birth in the US, can, at the time of birth, designate that child as a citizen of France.

it's not forced citizenship through birth.

However, if you're born in the States, that can make you a citizen in and of itself.

Isn't this similar to other countries?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:13 PM
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    As I understand it, the french people on holiday, who give birth in the US, can, at the time of birth, designate that child as a citizen of France.

it's not forced citizenship through birth.

However, if you're born in the States, that can make you a citizen in and of itself.

Isn't this similar to other countries?
    Yes. I just found this:

If a baby is born in Canada, he is automatically Canadian citizen no matter what the parents are, citizen, PR, migrant worker, student, tourist, illegal, whatever. He will only get a passport when the parents apply for a passport.
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by cabomiro View Post
    Mike

Are you sure it isn't the same here? I thought that if someone was born in Canada even if the parents were just on vacation here from another country, the kid gets an automatic Canadian citizenship.
    I know that this was raised as a potential problem a while back and I think the law was changed where one of the parents had to be a citizen or a permanent resident. But I could be wrong about this.

That said, I'd like to think if we had a flood of illegals like we see south of the border that the law would be changed in short order. We'd bankrupt the country in no time if we allowed what's happening down south to happen here. We're just lucky that we're bordered by a country with a similar standard or living.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by cabomiro View Post
    Yes. I just found this:

If a baby is born in Canada, he is automatically Canadian citizen no matter what the parents are, citizen, PR, migrant worker, student, tourist, illegal, whatever. He will only get a passport when the parents apply for a passport.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...itizenship.asp

Who is a Canadian citizen?

In general, you are a Canadian citizen if you were born in Canada. You are not a Canadian citizen if you were born in Canada and at the time of your birth, your parents were neither Canadian citizens nor permanent residents, and at least one parent had diplomatic status in Canada.