Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Default General recording question

Hey guys. I'm fairly new to doing my own home studio recordings. Sleeper used to be real good at it when we'd all get together, but I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to mixing down. I just did a demo on the weekend, and everything overall sounds pretty good, but listening to the final mix in wav format on CD, it just seems to lack that pro "punch". I'm using Sleep's old Tascam DP-02 which seems quite easy to use, and has great EQ tweakability. His old console is real decent too. Again, lots of power and EQ.
    For effects I'm running a Lexicon 200 multi effects unit which I used for compression on the bass and drum tracks, and on a lead electric slide part I use a small hall reverb, and pong delay. The lead slide part is where it lacks oomph. It just kind of gets lost in the mix. On mixdown, I rolled off the highs a bit because it sounded too sizzly, and I like it where it is in the EQ range, but I'm just not getting that sharp definition that I'd like. Any tricks for this? Should I use a compressor on the lead slide tracks? (Two guitar channels in stereo panned predominently to the center right) I've heard about aural exciters, but know little about them.
    Thanks in advance.
    JJ

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

While I'm thinking of it, I though I should mention what I used in recording the lead slide.
    Kind of tried & true or so I'm told.

original Peavey 5150 set on normal gain with pre and post gains around 6.
    1967 Hiwatt straight cab with 30w Fanes.
    Shure SM57 (Mic placement approx 2" from edge of speaker, 1/2" away from grill cloth.
    Don't know if this helps, but if something in the equasion seems not right let me know. I use this mic placement as it seems to get rid of that comb filtering effect, but maybe I'm missing another aspect.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,188 Times in 8,988 Posts

Kudos to you my man.

As per my results I have posted on here, I just now use my home studio for demos and head into a real studio for the final version.

I just couldn't get two things right: a) making the vocals sound part of the song instead of above the mix and b) that final mix "punch" as you said that makes the song come alive.

But good luck to you, there are a bunch of guys on here that have crazy mad skills.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Thanks for that. Mad skills is what I need!lol. Yeah, it's just kind of weird. The rhythm section of it turned out just great. Nice and tight sound. I just can't figure what I'm doing wrong on that lead part. Like I said it sounds fine EQ wise but it doesn't have that certain something that brings it out front. I tried upping the faders in key parts, but then it just sounded too loud and overpowered, so it's obviously a fine balance. Can you use compression on the entire mix successfully, or do you have to do it pretty much track by track? I've searched You Tube, and everything there is pretty much geared for software based recording, though I'm sure there's something buried somewhere that would have the info.
    My thinking is upping the lead guitar, then maybe compressing the entire mix on my DBX dual channel compressor.
    Can this work?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Try finding the 'sweet spot' in the EQ of your tone and bump it a bit. That will bring it out of the mix some. Apply light comp if necessary. And remember to leave sonic 'holes' for each instrument.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Thanks for that. Mad skills is what I need!lol. Yeah, it's just kind of weird. The rhythm section of it turned out just great. Nice and tight sound. I just can't figure what I'm doing wrong on that lead part. Like I said it sounds fine EQ wise but it doesn't have that certain something that brings it out front. I tried upping the faders in key parts, but then it just sounded too loud and overpowered, so it's obviously a fine balance. Can you use compression on the entire mix successfully, or do you have to do it pretty much track by track? I've searched You Tube, and everything there is pretty much geared for software based recording, though I'm sure there's something buried somewhere that would have the info.
    My thinking is upping the lead guitar, then maybe compressing the entire mix on my DBX dual channel compressor.
    Can this work?
    It has quite lierally been over 15 years since I've spent any real time in a studio, but when we were running stuff, we'd typically punch up the volume on the lead going through an old 1970's dbx 160 compressor/limiter and then do the mix down with very little, if any, compression. It yielded a lead that stood out, yet did not overwhelm, the rest of the mix.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

This is what I'd say:
    - Compress, but not too much. That should help a little.
    - Drop the rhythm about 2 dbs during the solo.
    - Mess with the EQ and find what you like. Mix with your ears, not your eyes. I like parametric EQ over graphic, myself.

No, I didn't give you the answer, but hopefully a little bit of a way to get there.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Hey!
    Thanks guys! I haven't been on for a week, but just saw your responses. Really appreciate the help. I actually picked up a new mic pre, and it really helped a great deal in getting some smack into my mix. It's a lot more 3 dimensional. My board pre's are alright, but they seem a little mushy, and I think that's where the issue lied. There's a lot more difinition now. Cyberfiddl, you made an interesting comment. When you said "sonic holes" did you mean in the EQ, like sort of creating more separation in the bands, or did you mean in the actual performance of each instrument? Either way, it got me thinking.
    Here's another question for you guys though.....Again I close mic my speakers, but I was wondering what the best way to get rid of that comb filtering, papery sound. I get it sounding pretty decent and try just about every mic position, but it seems that by the time I get that sweet spot where I get it just about gone, I either get to sizzly, (close to the center of the cone) or muddy (edge of the cone). What do you think. EQ? I'm thinking my mids might be off, but again I run into that issue of balance. Is there a good sequence to use to help isolate the problem?
    I usually start by getting the amp to sound right, then mic it up with flat EQ on the board, to where it sounds as good as I can get it, then start twisting knobs, but maybe there's something else you guys use. Should I over compensate the amp's EQ? Like more or less mid than I would use live?
    Last edited by we die young; 02.16.11 at 08:06 AM.